Old 02-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #7

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It was a very slow time in the gift shop today . . . one looker and two buyers, one of which was me! I stopped at the Hallmark shop on my way home and think I am home to stay. The car said it was -3 degrees and with the wind so who knows what the wind chill might be?! The sun is shining which makes it look "warmer" outside.

The crowd at the game last night was pathetic! We went a half hour early in order to get a seat. Both games were close in points, we would be ahead and then the other team would be ahead. The boys went into double overtime, and both teams lost by just a couple points. When our kids were in school the bleachers were full and if you wanted a seat you needed to be there early. The bb girls would stay and cheer for the boys' team, the boys would root for the girls, etc. The bleachers are divided into 3 sections with the widest section being in the middle. We had 3 rows of students sitting in the "short" row section with a few parents scattered throughout the back rows. After the girls' game, they left and their parents followed them out. The pep band played during the half-time, but the drum line didn't. The dance squad didn't perform either, but their coach has been on the jury for a murder trial for two weeks so I don't think they have been practicing without her there. Our school spirit is zip, none, nada! I was shocked to say the least.

Maggie -- I was really disappointed in the game last night. I have trouble watching the 3 refs, the ball, and the players, but from listening to the bench refs, the floor refs were pretty bad. Bob doesn't usually yell at the refs, but he did last night. Hope you are back to 100% today.

"Gma" -- Congrats on losing a pound! Any loss is a GREAT loss! I can't sit on bleachers for very long any more either. The crowd was so thin that we could stand up from time to time and wiggle around. No one was sitting right behind me so I could lean back against that bench too. I hope you have a grand day with T! Be sure to let us know if he voted for 'Chuck' or not!

I'm off to change laundry loads. Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Arrow Saturday Afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Still sunny in California.

JEAN BURRR that is some cold you have out there. What a disappointment that there isn't any school spirit there. The ball games used to be the thing to be at. I don't think my parents missed a one when I was in school even though I was just in the pep squad. It was a terrific time we had back then. I know a lady here in her late 70's that doesn't miss a game. Her children played and she kept up the support for the school even they are grown and gone. What a trouper.

Stay warm.Type at you later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:13 AM   #3  

Good morning gals! It is a brisk 30 degrees out, but if I had to choose between than and -3 I think I would say.... ! That is how cold it is at my son's house and I read the local paper online and it said last night they had blizzard conditions. When the snow comes from the west across Lake Michigan and they get what they call "lake effect" snow that is badddddddd. Usually that means, feet of snow instead of inches and their wind was up around 40 mph I think. We are going to call them this morning and check on them just for "mama's" piece of mind.

We had an excellent time with T. Our dd called and said that Tom had taken her out last night and then had forgotten to tell his mom to have Thomas up and ready early so instead of them bringing him by we ended up picking up Thomas at his other grandma's around 8:45. I don't know why she couldn't have called and asked us if we wanted to keep him overnight then just take him wherever the next day but we have never been allowed to keep him overnight. Anyway, I gave him these options. I told him to listen until I said all three than pick. I told him A) we could got shopping and get him a new video game, go to lunch then go back to my house and play games and watch tv until his mom came, B) Go to Chuck E Cheese again or C) Go to see Night At the Museum, go to lunch then go to Jillians then back to my house and play game until his mom picked him up. Little stinker says, "I think I would like to choose the first part of "A" and then the last part of "C." Since I was thankful he didn't want Chuck E Cheese again, we took him to Walmart's as it was pretty much the only thing open. We let him pick a video game, then we got gas and headed downtown to Jillian's. I figured it opened at 10 but when we got there it didn't open until 11 so we got some Starbucks and sat and waited for a few minutes than walked down out the mall and down the street to Big Foot Lodge. We had a nice time at lunch culminating with making smores at the table, which is always fun. Our little guy tears up when he laughs, everytime and he got a piece of melted marshmallow string down his chip and a larger piece on his upper lip that he kept trying to drag off with his teeth and tongue. The harder he tried the worse it got and mostly because we got to laughing about it. He finally stuck his finger up there and pulled it off etc, but by that time his little eyes were streaming from laughing so hard. We then went back to Jillians and they played games and I had taken my bag of knitting so I started knitting and finished my blanket except for binding off. Thomas and Granddad had a grand time and I accomplished getting the blanket finished. We came home around 2:30 and played games until his mom and dad picked him up at 4. I had bought Scrabble Junior and we played that and he may be smart as a whip, but he is a typical 6 year old acting silly about words. We did another laughing/crying thing when he was acting silly and ask us if E-P made a word and I told him it was the word for going to the bathroom backwards, EEE-PEE instead of PEE PEE. Oh my gosh, the child laughed and laughed. It was a wonderful time and the only thing that marred it was this. His mom sent $30 along to use for him. Everytime we would go to buy something he would ask it if was his money and we would tell him no that it was Granddad's money we were spending. I told him we would save his money to play video games, which seemed ok with him. When we got to Jillians and we were going to use his money to buy a game card, he started to cry so I told Jack just to pay for it and I told him that we would just save his money. When they got finished, Granddad told him, "Put the two game cards in your pocket with your money and next time you come down here with your mom and dad you have money on them to play and just keep your money with it." Well, we were going to tell his mom that he had game card time left on both his and Granddad's card and the money he "had left" in his coat pocket, but when they were getting ready to leave, he pulled it out. She looked at me and I said he had cried when we wanted to use it and she got mad and said, "Uh-uh, that isn't your money, give it to Nonny. I gave it to Nana to give to her." Of course, he started crying that it was his and she said no it wasn't it was hers and took it away from him. He kept saying it was his that she had given it to him and she was saying no that she gave it to Nana to give to me, etc, etc. I cannot stand to see him cry and I got upset but she told me to "Stop it." Anyway, it became a big issue, and she still gave the money to me, which of course, I didn't want. I adore that baby so much and it kills me to see him cry. I do understand that she thinks he uses tears to get what he wants, but anytime I see him cry, it is because it really is that he is upset about whatever the situation is. He had a tender heart and things easily upset him, bless his heart. I am not mad at my dd as she did what she thought was best, but I am still upset this all made him cry when I didn't want the money back. I do think that because he is so incredibly intelligent that she forgets she is dealing with the way a 6 year old thinks. He is an adorable child and extremely well behaved, but he is still a 6 year old little boy with 6 year old antics.

I am including a picture of the finished blanket. I hope my LJ loves it and loves it. I am including the sweater set picture I took with the blanket.

Maggie: Thank you for your kind words. I was down about the 1 lb loss on Friday, but to tell you the truth I think it was more hormonal issue that was making me upset because I was ok on Saturday morning. I agree a 1 lb loss is a good loss and I am not discounting that.

Jean: Boy is sounds like the school could use a real good shot in the arm of school spirit. That sounds perfectly pathetic that there weren't more people there. The poor kids that play the sports.

I guess I better get out of here and get the old New Balance on and get out to walk this morning. I didn't get to walk Friday or yesterday and I need it after the fattier foods from yesterday.

Have a good Sunday gals.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:18 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Arrow Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a beautiful day it is. Right now at 2:58 as I type it is 68 degrees and so nice. Like spring.

FAYE Poor little T got mixed messages about that money. It will all settle in though. He is such a smart little guy. I remember one time when my daughter was that age and my brother got irritated with something she did and he said "Why don't you act your age." She said, "I am only 6 and I am acting my age." Well he said he was so used to her acting older sometimes he forgot she was so young. That will happen with T because he is a child that wants to please. I just want to hug him. And you too.

What a beautiful blanket and baby set. I could just reach out and feel the softness of them. You can bet that the recepient will love them for sure. They will be keepers for another baby.

Everyone have a lovely afternoon.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #5  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been another cold and sunny day in my neighborhood . . . it was -13 degrees when I got up this morning. It is -5 right now and isn't supposed to warm up any for several more days. I've been watching the commercials on the Super Bowl game this evening. I am not a football fan, but do enjoy the entertainment and commercials. I fixed a meatloaf dinner, made a banana bread which was a flop; it tastes "ok" just crustier than usual and it didn't rise as high as it usually does. I made one last week with the very same ingredients and it was A-#1. I did get the laundry finished and need to do some ironing before I turn in tonight. I will have a short week at school this week since Diversity Day is Wednesday; I'm taking Thursday and Friday off to watch Ian and Zowie. Amanda's sister will take them Thursday late afternoon and overnight because she doesn't have to work and her two children are about the same ages. She has to work Friday night so her kids go to day care after lunch and we will pick up I and Z, bring them here for awhile, and then on home around suppertime. At least that was yesterday's plan of action.

Maggie -- I asked one of the kids if he was going to go to the game Friday ngiht. He looked at me like I had NO clue and said, "heck no, that's gay!" That word has a totally different interpretation these days! We do have some older people that come to the games and they always sit in the same spot. Of course we do too. I am still just amazed at the lack of support for the teams. Of course our student body is only 35 - 40% white now and I'm sure that is a major factor. Sad! I love your little bird . . . makes me think of spring! We watched the squirrels this afternoon -- there were 7 of them playing and chasing each other. Late yesterday we had 3 deer come to our yard -- they were nibbling on the neighbor's bushes and our evergreen tree.

"Gma" -- The baby blanket, sweater, hat, and booties are beautiful! This is a different sweater pattern than the last one you made, isn't it? You had so much patience making the blanket with the different rows of stitches you had to do. I'm glad you enjoyed your day with T! He probably won't forget the money issue any time soon. It is too bad that it happened at all.

Guess I will plug in the iron and get started. Have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-04-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #6  
Thin Within

Arrow Sunday Night

GOOD NIGHT MAGNOLIAS

I am heading to bed after I post this. We had a wonderful day this day. Hope you all did the same.

JEAN I don't know if it is the low percent of white kids that contributes to the lack of parents being behind the school and cheering on the ball teams or not. We had quite a diversified ethnic group when I was in school and ALL the parents got involved. Blacks, Whites, Asians, Mexicans all of them for it didn't matter. We were like a melting pot and all got along back then real well. Looks like times have changed and people have become more separated and clickie (if that is a word.) Too bad for it is the kids that suffer from the lack of support. Your cold out that way will melt and turn into spring in awhile. Something to look forward to. Have fun with those children. They can run you ragged if you let them so go slow and easy.

Nighters flowers
Old 02-05-2007, 07:28 AM   #7  

Good morning gals! I see the extreme cold is staying up north, thank goodness. It is in the 20's here, which is plenty cold enough and unusual for here at this time of year. I see that my son's weather is going to be more snow and just barely above zero or below zero at night. I do so worry about Alicia getting out in this weather and slipping and falling.

Jean: Did you happen to see the Superbowl commercial with the two animals trying to make the internet come on using a real mouse? That one was funny even though I couldn't watch it with the mouse thing. {{{SHIVER}}} I sat downstairs and knitted but went upstairs before the quarter was finished, changed out the sheets on the bed and crawled between the covers and watched tv than just drifted off to sleep. Jack say Indianapolis won, yeah!!! The sweater is the same pattern, but I changed things around in each one so they looked different and the yarn is a different brand, which made a big difference too.

Maggie: Hope you are doing well! My stinker of a husband has lost 5 lbs on WW so far. I am almost more thrilled with the fact that he likes the program than I am anything else. I have tried to keep him on something so he can lose the weight he needs to so that heart of his stays healthy. He isn't obese or anything, probably needs to lose about 30, but he carries it totally around his middle, the worst possible place. You would swear he was a beer guzzler with his tummy, but he isn't.

I made a great smoothie for breakfast yesterday. Jack hadn't gone to the store to get the milk we needed yet so I used half carton of ff vanilla yogurt, frozen strawberries, and a ripe banana and a bit of cold water to thin it out some. It was terrific. The reason I made it in the first place is that my bananas are getting too ripe and Jack won't eat banana bread so I need to find a way to use them. It is 4 pts and very yummy. It would make a great snack too.

Well, I am behind on time this morning and need to get out and walk. I am almost done with the front of my dd's sweater and will be able to start on the sleeves today so I am excited about that.

Have a great beginning to the week! Oh and here's a favorite of mine that I have adapted for WW.

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits: WW version yields 6 biscuits 2 pt apiece

3/4 c Heart Smart Biscuick
2 tablespoon margarine (make sure it is cold)
1/2 c fat free cheddar cheese grated
3/8 c skim milk
1/8 tsp garlic powder

topping on biscuits: when they come out of the oven and are hot, spray I Can't Believe it's not Butter spray on each and shake a little garlic powder over the top

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
mix butter and biscuick together so that it looks like peas or chunky cornmeal, add cheese, milk and garlic powder mixing gently. Don't mix too well.

drop 1/4 cup of mix onto ungreased cookie sheet (an ice cream scoop is perfect for this) and bake 15-17 minutes until the tops are light brown. Don't bake too long.

When removed, follow the rest of the directions for topping biscuits and serve hot.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 02-05-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies - a cold 27 degrees for us but the sun is shining. Makes me feel better just to see it.

Faye, congratulations on another pound gone. Some weeks are like that. I weigh in Thursday since I signed up for the biggest loser. Didn't do well over the weekend - too many oreos (6 - sigh!) and a fish sandwich from Arby's. I made the receipes you posed for the sirloin tips yesterday. I added mushrooms to it and a bit of fat-free sourcream at the end. It was really good.

Stan is improving daily so I think it was the Plavix that was causing the bleeding. We go to the doctor Friday so hopefull the kidney function is back to what is good for him.

The Democarats had a meeting at Kingsmill on Saturday and Bush flew down in Air Force Once. Security was at a high level. You couldn't get near the place and I64 became a nightmare. I got stuck on I64 and didn't make it to my friend's memorial service. I felt so bad about that.

Jean, we have "mixed" schools here and plenty of parental support from all. Must be more than just that. Who knows with kids these days?

I made new drapes for the living room and they look really nice. Lined them with white so we have a uniform look from the street.

I went to the Power Workout at Curves Saturday - The first 10 minutes I thought I was going to die or at least not be able to finish it. Then I got my second wind and made it through. I felt so good when it was done and I sure worked muscles that had been domant for a very long time. Hopefully if I do that once a week in addition to my regular Curves it will get my thyroid moving and help me get some weight off. I'm loving the higher protein diet. (Not like Atkins, do have bread, cereal, potatoes, rice, pasta, just small amounts),

Guess I better get to work. Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #9  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's another cold one here hanging in at 0 right now and -15 wind chill. I'm ready for spring! We had a lot of kids absent from school today; I'm not sure if it was "Monday flu" or the real deal. We got Diversity Day buttons to wear Wednesday and I was so tempted to throw mine back in the principal's mailbox. We have to wear our ID badges and also have stick-on name tags to wear that day. Enough is enough is enough!

Maggie -- We had a big Asian population beginning in the mid '70s and well into the late '90s. They didn't mix well with the Mexicans at all and there were lots of fights in the schools and neighborhoods. We liked the Asians because the parents stood behind the idea that education was important and most of the Asian students went on to college. As time went on many of the families moved away. Next the Somalians came; they are a whole different breed for sure. They didn't last long. Now we have several Sudanese families -- I'm not sure how well they have been accepted. I do know they don't know how to drive! We also have a few black families in the mix. There are no minorities playing basketball. The prinicipal keeps asking, at staff meetings, how to encourage them to participate in extracurricular activities as well as how to revive the school spirit. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know there are a lot of very negative feelings from the white citizens towards the Mexicans. There are some really nice kids, but unfortunately there are many who want to go the gang/trouble route. They have no respect for authority of any kind, are lazy, and have the "take, take, take" attitude. Our police force has tripled with a high turnover rate. Our school buildings are packed and have before and after school programs (with free bus rides home) for the ESL students in the elementary and middle school. We have dentists and doctors retiring with no luck in recruiting new professionals to take over their practices. It is a sad state that this town is in right now. White families with young children are choosing not to move here, but to go to smaller surrounding towns.

"Gma" -- I did see the mouse commercial! Tell Jack "CONGRATULATIONS" on his 5# loss! It's not fair that men can lose so much easier than we can! Thanks for sharing the biscuit recipe!

Susan -- I'm glad that Stan is feeling better. When you go to Curves do you have to follow the same routine each time or do the machines in order? I'm glad you like the diet . . . it sounds doable!

I need to type a snotty letter to our health insurance dummy . . . someone isn't smart enough to realize there are two sides to an EOB so I haven't been paid back for some generic drugs since last September. GRRRRRRRR!

Have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:58 AM   #10  
Thin Within

Arrow Monday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

What a day we had. Went to town which is almost 20 miles one way twice. Had to go to Wal*Mart. Long story short we had to pick up a prescription that was supposed to be delivered by our med program. However, since the program changed in mid prescription they didn’t refill the last 3 months of it. We had the doc call in a months worth and then a years worth to the med co.

FAYE Tell Jack and keep up the good work. It is a fact that we women can’t change that men do lose faster than us. We just have to accept it and not be in a race with them. I too have a lightened version of those yummy Red Lobster biscuits which I will post here. It is slightly different than yours, which I will certainly try, and maybe you will try mine.

Red Lobster Cheese Biscuits (Lightened)
Makes 12 ~ 2 POINTS each

Preheat oven to 400°
Combine and mix by hand the following:
2 cups Reduced Fat Bisquick®
1/2 cup 1% Buttermilk
1 Cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese

Drop Biscuits: Do not knead dough.
Drop by spoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet (@ 2T each).
Slightly flatten with finger tips.
Bake for 8—10 minutes ~ or until tops begin to brown.

In a small bowl combine and heat for 30 seconds in microwave:
2 Tbsp. fat free buttery spread (Fleischmann’s®)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Brush a light coating over the top of each hot biscuit.
Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes.

JEAN It won’t be long now and the Mexican flag will be flying over the Storm Lake Court House since the white young folks are all leaving. Don’t get me wrong, we have fine legal Mexicans in our family, it is the illegals that bother me. They will own us without firing a shot. I am open to anyone coming to this great country of ours but stand in line and come when there is a vacancy for you.

SUSAN Sounds to me like Curves is made for you. You have found what works for you and it is working. you are our exercise Hope your husband gets his health back to exact soon.

ya’all

Old 02-06-2007, 06:07 AM   #11  

Good morning, Y'all. It is still nippy here for the south, but nothing like Jean and my son and dil are having to put up with. It is time for that cold front to just move on out to the Atlantic, don't ya think???

Maggie: Thanks for the recipe, Maggie. I took a cookbook I have that is all recreations of famous recipes and just adapted it from that. I will have to try your and you try mine and we will see which tastes better.

Jean: It is sad your little community is going down hill. The little town I lived in is the same way. When I was growing up we had 3 doctors in town, a drugstore, a supermarket and a smaller mom and pop store run by my uncle, a five and dime, barber shops, bank, gas stations, hardware, a diner and two restaurants, several taverns and churches. It really was a little Mayberry. Now most of the stores are closed and you couldn't find a doctor there if you tried. I think America has gotten too big for its britches, needs too much money to live on and so the shops and places of old can't survive any longer. Little towns are becoming a thing of the past.

Susan: I am so glad Stan is getting better. That Plavix can be a life saver to a person, but it does have side effects as both your hubby and mine found out.

I finished my dd's sweater front so it is on to the sleeves today. I have the bottom of the sweater I am knitting for myself started too and boy what a pretty peach color.

I need to go and get around. Everyone have a super Tuesday!

Faye
Susan:
Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #12  

It was 12 degrees this morning and now has reached 21 at Noon! I put a thermal shirt on under my sweater this morning.

The Mexican population is increasing here. They come to work in the seafood packing plants, do landscaping and construction. They are noted for being hard workers and doing a good job. We also have a large oriental population. I taught ESL for 2 years to Vietmanese back in the early 90s. It was very enlightening and I enjoyed it a lot.

Jean, the Curves I go to has 13 machines and 13 recovery boards. You can start on any place you like and then do 2 circuits. It would be chaos to have people jumping all over to get a different machine and you wouldn't finish in 30 minutes (actually 45 when you do the stretching at the end like you are supposed to). Once a month, they move the machines into a different order. I don't get bored. I just concentrate on the machine I'm on, when on the recovery boards I'll talk to others. The time just flies by.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Arrow Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is feeling like it is gonna rain. I love rain. I love to hear the pitter patter of the rain on the roof and how green everything growing gets. We should have some nice wild flowers on the hills come spring. Will is going back to town today and I am staying home. He is going to one of the banks where a woman works that wants him to build a saddle and needs to make take her order. He went by there yesterday but that place was so busy she couldn’t break away. I am gong to stay here and do my exercises and some cleaning. Sounds exciting doesn’t it. Also I got some bead books I want to look through. I want to do some bead work on some garments eventually.

FAYE The little town where I grew up ~ you just can’t recognize it as the same place it is so neat. It is a coast town, Port Hueneme (pronounced Y - Knee - Me) and they really did a nice job with it’s remodeling and it is just a picture-esque place. When we were there it was a very small town ~ there was one each: grocery store, liquor store, dry goods store, library, gas station, police station, dentist, doctors office, hospital, grade school ~K though 8 (high school students were bussed to a town @10 miles away), furniture store, fish packing plant, lemon storage buildings, chemical plant for crops, shoe repair shop, jewelry store, several churches and a Sea Bee Base,. We were there when it was a baby and it has grown into a beautiful adult. I guess since there was a base there that didn’t get closed down that helped. There was another base on up the coast, Point Mugu, that my father was one of the 5 that was asked by the government to set up. He worked there for 33 years. That is why we were in that area for he moved us there because of that work. That Naval Air Base is still in operation also. The only one around there in that county that got closed down was the Air Force Base. The towns around those bases are so well grounded now that if the bases closed they would survive. So much produce is grown there and all the orchards of oranges and lemons and avocados. It is a thriving area. That is just a peek at a little town that did better than lots across this nation.

I am editing this because SUSAN sneeked right in there when I was typing. YIKES "recovery boards" sounds serious like after an injury. No doubt the Mexicans in your area are hard workers. We have hard workers in the fields around here also. Who would do the work if they didn't? That is the very reason why they are left alone, we need them to do the labor for us. It is the criminal natured ones that cause the problems. Whe have hundreds of criminals coming over here daily. The border patrol does what it can. And there is that delima ~ so they are a hard worker ~ if they came here illegally they broke the law which makes them a criminal. But they are left alone because they are a hard worker doing jobs we don't want to do. So then they can get welfare and inroll their children in our schools. Did you know that they had to close down the clinics in the LA area because there were too many illegals coming in that couldn't pay for services and they went broke and had to close down. So now the regular folks that are citizens don't have a clinic to go to. What is the answer to this I ask you? Having been in law inforcement I have seen too much of the ugly side of things.

Everyone have a great day!

Last edited by Maggie; 02-06-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:33 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! It is trying hard to snow . . . a few flakes here 'n there most of the day. It was a busy 'catch-up kind of day today. The current sophomore English assignment is a career paper worth lots of points and deadlines along the way to March 7th. They have to choose three careers, do the research from 6 different sources, interview a person in each career, and job-shadow one career. The standard comment is "that's dumb!" and/or "I ain't gonna do it!" Talk about teacher challenges! It boils down to if they don't do it, they fail the class no matter what the rest of their grade is for the semester. Tomorrow is Diversity Day and I will be glad when it is over. The principal has been testy for weeks over it, will take all the credit, while the teachers do the work getting it set up with speakers and enough sessions to keep 800+ students occupied for the day. I just have to monitor behavior throughout the day since I'm not in charge of anything . . . . . at least I wasn't as of today at 3:27!

Maggie -- We keep hoping there will be a raid on our two packing plants, but so far nothing has happened. There has to be at least a busload of illegals before the authorities will do anything about transporting them. We have had some identity theft arrests. Thanks for sharing your recipe! We ran into a lady who was looking for the same biscuits in the frozen food section at the grocery store. She said the WM carried them but she refuses to shop at WM! She ended up by saying she guessed she would have to make them from scratch.

"Gma" -- We have been thinking about where we want to live when we retire. Bob wants to stay here as long as his friend is farming and he is a few years younger than we are plus the type who won't quit until he can't climb a fence or get on the tractor any more. I've often told him that if something happens to him I will put a 'for sale' sign on this house so fast the neighbors won't know what happened. My original plan was to move closer to the kids, but now that Jason and Amanda are moving further away I don't know which way I would go. Decisions, decisions!

Susan -- We, too, have lots of hard working honest Mexicans. Our biggest problem is the illegals and the gang members who have moved here. OK, now I am curious! What exactly do you do with a recovery board? I have a vision of something like a surf board where you lay down and catch your breath.

It's time to head to bed! Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:28 AM   #15  

Good morning gals! It got up to near 60 yesterday afternoon and it was so nice here. I didn't know it was that nice until I went out to get the mail because it was cold when I went walking yesterday morning.

I have to take Fortune in to have his teeth cleaned on Friday. I got a 15% discount because it is pet dental health month and it is still going to cost me $121! Sheesh! I wonder how much it would have been had I had a St Bernard, $3000? It needs to be done and I am going to fork out the money, but grudgingly...

We pick up the rental car on Friday afternoon and our car is going into the shop to have a bunch of maintenance done on it. We are having an idling problem that needs to be checked out and shocks, new tires, new brakes, the fan on the heater needs to be checked out etc so I rented a car so we don't have to panic about how long it will take. We will drop the car off on Friday afte we pick up the rental car.

I have weigh in on Friday too, so Friday will be a busy day. Until then, I am going to keep knitting. I ripped out the part of my dd's sweater sleeve I had done. It wasn't coming together like I liked so I ripped back to the cuff and am starting over.

I hope everyone has a good day and they start to warm up. It says it is 52 right now! It is supposed to drop back to 38 today though.

Faye