General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Default How Lazy Can You Get?!?

I have a peeve about people being lazy. In my building each entrance has two sets of doors to keep the cold from getting in. Each door also has a handicapped button you can push to have the doors swing open for you. These buttons are broken at least once a month due to over-use. We don't have a high population of handicapped people here, we have a high population of people that are too lazy to push the doors open. Mind you, the doors aren't heavy. Lean into them and they swing right open.

I saw one lady, dressed in workout gear on her way to Curves, with nothing in her hands but a purse, but instead of opening each door, she pressed each handicapped button and then waited for the doors to open (they operate very slowly) instead of just using her hand to open the door. One co-worker said that she uses the button cause she doesn't want to pick up germs from the door handles. I pointed out that the door handles are NEVER touched cause people keep pushing the button instead. Another woman I saw was using the button so she could free up her hands to pull out a cancer stick.

One morning a young man politely attempted to open the door for me by hitting the button and I told him, if he wanted to open the door, then man up and use the handle instead of wearing the electronics out on the button so it doesn't serve its purpose for those who really need it. He now makes it a point whenever we come in at the same time to run up and open the door, but he doesn't touch that button anymore - at least not when I'm looking.

Tiki
Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My pet peeve is people who try to get the closest parking spot they can in a parking lot or people who don't walk their carts back to the cart return. If you are going somewhere that you are going to walk at, walking 10 extra feet to get there won't hurt you.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

Tiki, this is my pet peeve, too! Those buttons were NOT designed for the people who use them the most. And whoever wants to avoid "germs" should be wearing sanitary gloves to open doors.

I taught my son to never use those buttons, too.

"man up" - LOL

The Curves lady takes the cake - pay for exertion of calories, but Lordy, don't exert yourself to open a door.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I see that all the time in my building. My favorite is when people take the elevator down one or two flights of stairs. I know some people have ailments that prevent them from taking stairs. There must be a lot of these people in my building...

I always take the stairs. There is no reason for me not to. I think it's kind of funny when I take the stairs and the person who is taking the elevator doesn't make it to my floor until I'm long gone because they are still waiting at the bottom.

I did get a nice chuckle about that guy and the button, though!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica View Post
The Curves lady takes the cake - pay for exertion of calories, but Lordy, don't exert yourself to open a door.
This happened ALL THE TIME at the athletic facility I used to work at. People would get absolutely irrate at the staff because there wasn't any good parking and they had to -gasp!- walk an extra block to the gym.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

You know what's funny is...it actually takes longer to wait for the door to open than if you just opened it yourself!

Nelie...I think that is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves...people not putting their grocery carts in the return! It kills me. Especially when they push it right up against the thing instead of in it!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

When I was in college, it also really bothered me when able-bodied people would use the handicap button. If they didn't want to use their hands, they would kick the button, which resulted in a greater frequency of the button breaking.

Has anyone seen the people who are too lazy to walk their dogs that they drive with one arm out the window holding the leash so the dog can walk alongside the car?

I had to include this picture as an ineffable display of laziness.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #8  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Chubby View Post
Has anyone seen the people who are too lazy to walk their dogs that they drive with one arm out the window holding the leash so the dog can walk alongside the car?
No. Ohhhhh, no, that's terrible.

Awesome picture!

I'm the person who pushes my cart into the corral, and I swoop up any stragglers as well. Nobody likes dings in their car from a runaway grocery cart!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #9  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

OMG! I love that picture! I've not seen anyone walk their dog that way but I did see a commercial like that. It really cracks me up! I really never thought anyone would actually do that, lol!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I was hoping someone would put up the picture of that gym...so American

My pet peeve about the shopping carts is...at my store they offer EVERYONE help to your car with your groceries - if you don't want to take your cart back, then ACCEPT the dang offer.

I detest when there are a million parking spaces available and someone will "stalk and hover" your spot because it is close. There is nothing that will make me fix my imaginary makeup, balance my checkbook, or just sit and look stupid than someone who hovers my spot when there is another one 20 feet away

I will confess to using the handicap button when I have the stroller.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My pet peeve is grocery carts left in the parking lot....but I have to tell a story.

We own a construction company--we install windows and we specialize in high end custom home construction (most homes are well over the million dollar mark and some are multi-million dollar homes). We built a house a few years ago that had some very specialized motorized, curved pocket doors (they disappear into the wall). The door was huge--you could drive two cars abreast through the door. The door was having a bit of a motor problem and my DH and his partner were called to go and look at it. The homeowner was home, in the kitchen which was at the far end of the house. DH rang the door bell..........she (homeowner) went downstairs, got in her car and DROVE AROUND TO THE FRONT OF THE HOUSE to answer the door!!!!!!!!!! And then she had the audacity to complain about some problem with the window in her WORKOUT ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #12  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I use the handicapped button all the time. Of course, I'm either juggling a 6 month old and a diaper bag, or pushing a stroller - hopefully, I can get a pass.

I also prefer the spot closest to the cart corral. Easy to get a cart to go in the store and to put it back. And I have to be close so that I can load DD in the car while I put the groceries in the car.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #13  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

A lot of office buildings keep all stairwells locked for security except for the ground floor. You can get into the stairwell, but you can't get out unless you go all the way down. The exceptions are when one company rents 2 or more floors and decides on their own whether to keep them unlocked or not.

If I go into a multistory building I'll always take the elevator back down, not because I'm lazy but because I don't want to get stuck in a stairwell!
Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #14  

I must confess...I use the button at times even if I do not have my hands full! But I guess, my excuse is that I am just too tired at the end of the day... i have walk exactly 20 mins from my office to the parking lot....its a huge campus. I use a pedometer to count how much I walk everyday in the medical campus without realising: I walk 16,000 steps every single day.

I used the button without ever realising: what if the button breaks and someone in need really wanted to use it... I feel sorry for my actions and i will try my best to avoid it. Thanks TIKI for bringing this up!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

In our little town, folks who work in stores park in front of them. Drives me nuts!
Closed Thread