YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 02-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #1  
Aussie Chick

S/C/G: 99/86/65

Default You on a Diet - Steel Cut Oats

Hi everyone,

I've been reading all the posts for You on a diet, and I saw somewhere a recipe for Steel Cut Oats for breakfast, but do you think for the life of me that I can find it now?

Could someone please post it here for me?

Thanks in advance.

Kathy
kathyhegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #2  
Lovin' Zumba!

I'm not sure about a "recipe", but here's how I make mine. I actually have two variations, which both start out the same. I always make these on Sunday for the week ahead.

In a saucepan, add oats and water and/or milk at a 1:4 ratio. I do 1.25 cups of steel cut oats to 5 cups of water. This will yield about 5 cups of cooked oats.

Variation 1: Let the oats soak overnight (I would not do this with milk). Then, in the morning, cook for 9-11 minutes. (I'll do this method if I plan to have them for breakfast that day)

Variation 2: Cook the oats and liquid over medium heat for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Cook until a creamy consistency.

Once the oats are cooked, I add about 1T. of cinnamon, 1oz. chopped walnuts and a capful of vanilla extract.

I make these in advance and keep in the fridge in individual portions. When I'm ready to eat it, I add 1/2 of an apple, chopped, and microwave for 2 minutes. I usually then add a bit of milk to cool it down, and to break it up a bit. I sometimes also add a scoop of vanilla protein powder (with more liquid as necessary).

I've been having this for breakfast every workday morning for the past 5 weeks. It's amazing how it sticks with me - I eat at 8am, and am usually not even a bit hungry until 11am or later!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #3  
Aussie Chick

S/C/G: 99/86/65

I had 3 mouthfuls and couldn't eat it. Erk. It was too watery for my taste and too bland. I did the boil 4 cups (Australian cups) of water and add 1 cup of oats. I left that overnight, and when I got up this morning there was still a layer of water sitting on top of the oats. then I put it on to bring to the boil, so the water turned thick and slushy.

I tried eating them with some cinnamon and blueberries, but it was disgusting. I must be doing something wrong.
kathyhegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

Some very stupid question from me...

What are steel-cut oats?
Where does one find Steel-cut oats?
Could someone use those Quaker Instant oatmeal instead?
KnCmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

You can find steel cut oats in the health food section of most grocery stores. Instant oats do not have the same nutritional value. You can google it to see the differences. I also add no sugar added applesauce or bananas chopped up in mine. Some people make them in the crock pot. I'm going to try that.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #6  
Lovin' Zumba!

If your steel cut oats were watery, you can cook them more. Mine get very thick and porridge-like, and in fact, after a day in the fridge, are too thick and have to be thinner out with milk after I heat them.

Last edited by BfL_Cat; 02-02-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #7  
Lovin' Zumba!

Steel cut oats are just the natural oat kernel roughly cut into smaller pieces.

Rolled oats are those same whole oats, but steamed and rolled thin, making them must softer and easier/quicker to cook.

But, as they are broken down more by the process, there is less fiber and they are a higher GI food. Kind of like the difference between drinking orange juice and eating an orange. Both good for you, but the orange has more health benefits - the fiber, and since it takes longer to digest, the carbs going into your bloodstream more slowly - sticks with you longer. Steel cut oats will stay with you longer than the other.
Cindy
Old 02-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #8  

I just found some of these yesterday..going to try them for breakfast tomorrow..
p.a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 207/205/150

Height: 5'6

I oftened wonder about the whole steel cut oatmeal thing as well. I have seen it a lot in the Bob Greene book and was wondering if it would be hard to find. He lists about 3 different brands. Any of you partial to your brand?

I have eaten and made plain oatmeal from the big containers with no sugar or fruit in them...are steel similar or totally different?
Giovanni Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #10  

I find them different in texture but now that i know how to cook them...i love them! I add 1 capful (1 tsp)of maple syrup to my bowl each morning and some skim milk. I have tried to eat without the maple syrup but it dosnt taste the same. I use teh real stuff..in one of dr ozs recipes ..the asian salmon..i believe it calls for it..so I figure if I can use it for that then I can use it on oatmeal.
p.a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #11  
Lovin' Zumba!

The big containers are "rolled oats" - the oat kernel is steamed and rolled/pressed flat, so the texture is very different than steel cut.

Rolled oats almost seem "creamy" to me when I eat them now - my steel cut are more rice-pudding like in terms of consistency - definitely still individual pieces in there.

I've actually considered throwing some rolled oats in with my steel cut, just to make them seem more like the oatmeal I grew up loving!

As far as brands go, I think it's pretty much a generic thing, so if you can find them in a bulk store, that will be the cheapest route. I've found them for as low as $.77 a pound in bulk, or as high as $8.00 for 2# in the metal McCann's can!

That reminds me - I need to buy myself some more this weekend!
Cindy
Old 02-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #12  
Mamma Mia

S/C/G: 158/156/140

Height: 5'

You can find Steel Cut Oats in the oatmeal/cereal section in pre-portion packages...McGinnish Irish Oatmeal is the name and they are great and easy to make.
mammamia54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #13  

Smile

I found big bags of steel cut oats at Costco (USA). I put the raw oats in a bowl, pour HOT water over it, then stir it occasionally for 8-10 minutes. I like oats a little more crunchy and a little less soupy. I could not imagine soaking them.

Judijo.
judijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/170/140

Height: 5'7

I was at the grocery store and saw Quacker Oats steel cut oats! Its in a way different can so its really easy to find. And if you have a Trader Joes in your area then they have tons there. They taste just fine to me.
LittleLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

My grocery store has Irish Oatmeal (Steel cut) on sale for $5.55 for a 28 oz can. This seems like a lot of money. I love regular oatmeal and they are so much cheaper. Is it really worth spending the extra money for the steel cut oats?
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote