Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Rice Cookers?

What do you all use? I've had a cursory look in department stores but I don't understand them.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 AM   #2  
Baby steps

S/C/G: 280/270/160

Height: 5'8"

If I have the counter space, I get out my small crock-pot and just use it. Otherwise, it's stove-top for me. I'm not one for buying gadgets that don't multi-purpose well.
Wildfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:36 AM   #3  
it's always something

I confess that I did buy one. I'm terrible at cooking brown rice. I started cooking it in the oven, per instructions in Cook's Illustrated, which turned out perfect rice. However, I didn't like the idea of using so much electricity to cook it.

I did a little research and learned that the best rice cookers were the "fuzzy logic" type, which are more expensive. Apparently the best cookers could easily cost a couple of hundred dollars! I wasn't willing to do that, just to cook rice for one person. Then I found one on clearance for $25 and thought I couldn't go wrong, so I bought it. I love it! It makes perfect rice, even if I cook black rice. Not all rice cookers will cook brown rice, so make sure you check them out before buying. Actually I think that's one of the advantages of the "fuzzy logic" type cookers. Mine has a steamer insert so I can steam vegetables, but I've never tried it.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:54 AM   #4  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I'm gonna chime in on this because I live in Hawaii where we eat rice w/almost every meal (real oriental sticky rice here, not the instant Uncle Ben's wouldn't-stick-together-if-your-life-depended-on-it "rice" that most of us locals don't even consider rice). Growing up we had a Panasonic rice cooker, nothing fancy, just a metal insert to cook the rice in inside of a metal frame. This one cooked rice and could also steam veggies (which we never did) but did not keep the rice warm long term. As technology improved, we got a rice cooker/warmer which could also cook the rice and keep it warm for up to 3 days before it started turning color and overcooking. The brands we have had were Zojirushi, Tiger or Panda brand. These cooker/warmer machines are excellent and come in different price ranges depending on capacity (5 cup, 10 cup, 20 cup etc.) and extra features, like steaming veggies or even pasta. I have to vote for the Zojirushi brand cooker as it has lasted the longest and has been most consistent with the final product. As for cooking brown rice in these, in my experience you just add extra water and leave the lid shut for an extra 15 minutes after the cooker says warm instead of cook. Hope that made sense, and thanks for letting me ramble on about rice
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by melekalikimaka View Post
I'm gonna chime in on this because I live in Hawaii where we eat rice w/almost every meal (real oriental sticky rice here,
Mmmmm, the sticky rice is the best. I buy sushi rice. And yep, I put it in my rice steamer. I swear by that thing. I can never get it right cooking it on the stove and the rice steamer cooks it perfectly every time. Just put the rice and the water in, turn it on and forget about it.

Perfectly done rice.

The brand I have is Black & Decker. It's been the best one I've ever had. I also use it to steam vegetables and fish.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

I've burned out two rice cookers! Currently I have a Cuisinart which I like a whole lot better than my last cooker--it was a cheap off-brand that never worked very well (I think I paid $10 for it). All of my rice cookers had a vegetable steam basket included--and I use that often.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #7  

I use a pressure cooker (presto) for rice, veggies and a lot of my other vegetarian needs...It cooks faster (just 10 mins) and its stove-top. I find that rice made in a rice-cooker turns out dryer and stickier than I like. With presto, I can make rice moist or dry and its the best way to steam veggies!

I can make a lot of Indian dishes in presto.

http://www.gopresto.com/products/pro..._type=category
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My sister-in-law bought us a great double decker food steamer from Walmart, we've used for rice (the instructions were pretty easy to follow) on the bottom, and chicken on top.

But, you can boil rice like pasta too, and then drain (use a sieve instead of a colander to drain or you'll lose a bunch of the rice).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I use my rice cooker all the time! I also cook steel cut oats in it, although I heard that if you don't add a little salt, it'll boil over majorly.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #10  
Mel

I'm thinking about buying one. My SIL just bought a fuzzy logic Zojirushi which makes great rice, doubles as a crock pot, vegie steamer, poacher, deep fryer ( ) and all but reads the manual itself-- but it costs over $200!! I won't be getting that one!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #11  

Mine doesn't have fuzzy logic and it overcooks brown rice and can't keep food warm after cooking. (OTOH it was only $20 and it does a good job with white rice.) If I were replacing it and planned to use it a lot I'd spend the extra for the more functionality.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/176/135

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I'm thinking about buying one. My SIL just bought a fuzzy logic Zojirushi which makes great rice, doubles as a crock pot, vegie steamer, poacher, deep fryer ( ) and all but reads the manual itself-- but it costs over $200!! I won't be getting that one!

Mel
I bought me one of those!!!! Even though I have had it a long time, Honestly I haven't played around with it so I dont know all it can do, I just make my brown rice and Kashi Pilaf in it...
Justme33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #13  
prepare for the BEST time

my rice is nothing to brag about...I love brown rice we get at a restaurant, but I wouldn't attempt it at home. I've wanted a rice cooker, but am clueless (rice challenged). The Black & Decker is mid-priced at $30.00 BBB, plus a 20% off coupon, so about $25.+ with tax.

and after I buy the cooker, what brand of brown rice to try?, suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Dry rice is dry rice. Brands do not really make any difference (just cost different!). I usually buy the store brand as it is the least expensive.

The difference in rice is the TYPE of rice. Long grain, short grain, brown, wild, arborio, etc. I think I've seen brown in both long and short grain, but I can't really remember. Just pick up any package of brown rice and then cook it according to the directions on your rice cooker. (I like to cook mine in fat free, low sodium broth for a change of pace.)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote