Old 02-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #1  

Default Have any of you tried Saving Dinner?

I recently subscribed to the heart healthy menu mailer at savingdinner.com and really like it. I'm wondering if anyone else does this and if they have liked it or not? I also downloaded some of the mega menu mailers where it gives you 20 recipes with shopping lists and prep work to assemble and freeze 20 different meals. I did this in January and found that we were WAY less tempted to order out or go out if we had all these options in the freezer. Anyway, just thought I'd put it out there that this exists and see if anyone else used it as well. Even if you don't eat everything on the menu mailer that week (and they have several options...low carb, heart healthy, etc.) I still find I get some great recipe ideas from it. Best part, I don't have to have another cookbook on my shelf because everything is just downloadable in a pdf! I adjust any recipes to suit my tastes and needs but have been successful in my substitutions thus far.
avsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Wow! That sounds like a GREAT idea. Off to check it out right now!

I have been wanting to start the freeze a meal thing, but any that I have found have been pretty heavy calorie wise.

Bummer - it costs money!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #3  

Yeah, it does cost money. I guess I should have mentioned that. I guess I looked at it as buying another cook "book" but it's just online.

The concept is great, though. You could even do it with recipes that you already use. Make a list of a bunch of them, write down ingredients, go shopping, do all the prep work, put it in a freezer bag (I double bag) and then label it. I have a master list on my fridge that says the number of the bag and what's in it. I cross them off as I use them and then I always know what's in there. It would take more effort to do this yourself, but certainly might be worth it once the work is done.

It's just been a help to me to have a plan for dinner. I can be so good all day and then just fall apart at dinner if I don't plan well.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm lazy, I use "Let's Dish". I keep considering stopping doing it but it is just way too convenient. I'm also really good at modifying their recipes (less oil, sugar, more veggies!). I should really buy the Saving Dinner freeze a meal menu and try it out but that would mean grocery shopping, chopping and all that stuff
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #5  

Ha, ha! You're right, Nelie, it does require some extra effort! I've been reading WAY too much about health and wellness over the last year or so and now am a bit of a food 'snob' when it comes to ingredients I use. Everyone tells me that the ingredients those types of places use are really great but I pretty much use only organic veggies and produce and, if I can afford it, organic meats. At a minimum, they have to be hormone and atibiotic free. Since I can't get this at places like Let's Dish! I had to go a different route. This is how I stumbled on the menu mailer idea. Of course, if the organic "thing" isn't an issue then it probably is a whole lot easier to go to one of those places and assemble there! I must admit, I do create extra work for myself!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/210/140

Height: 5'6"

I have the Saving Dinner book and I have tried their program in the past but now I plan my menus ahead of time using another website called mealsmatter.org You can plan your meals and print out shopping lists, add your own recipes or use the ones already in there. It doesn't cost anything and it works for me.

I currently have menus/recipes/shopping lists already planned out to March 4th. This also enables me to check off items that I already have instead of buying more ingredients than I need.

Last edited by allison dawn; 02-01-2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added comment
allison dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #7  

FREE???

Oh my goodness, thanks for the tip! I am SO checking that out! I didn't know something else like this existed for free! I do like that I get the recipe ideas from the one that I pay for so I don't think it's a waste in any way, but after I get a years worth of recipes from Saving Dinner and then add those to what I already make then I will have quite the repertoire! I can then add them all to the freebie site and I will be home free!

Thanks a bunch for the tip!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison dawn View Post
I have the Saving Dinner book and I have tried their program in the past but now I plan my menus ahead of time using another website called mealsmatter.org You can plan your meals and print out shopping lists, add your own recipes or use the ones already in there. It doesn't cost anything and it works for me.

I currently have menus/recipes/shopping lists already planned out to March 4th. This also enables me to check off items that I already have instead of buying more ingredients than I need.
Thank you for this. I just spent some time in there. Unfortunately, the people that pay me want me to earn it so I can't spend anymore right now. I think this is going to be a great tool for me!
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #9  
TRIATHLETE!!!!!

S/C/G: 274/255/130

Height: 5' 5"

I love LeAnne! (I found her through Flylady, years ago.) We've got both her regular and her low-carb books -- and love them both. I really like the emphasis she gives to crockpot cooking. The crockpot is my favorite small kitchen appliance, ever.
cinderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #10  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

to lazy to cook, oatmeal for dinner is easy....LOL
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote