Old 01-30-2007, 05:34 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #6

Good morning gals! Another chilly day this morning. It is warmer than it has been as it is in the 30's this morning. At least there is NO snow. I would have to use the treadmill and I really prefer walking outside.

Jack and I are going great guns on this WW thing. We sit and figure out what we will have for dinner the next night and figure out the points, then Jack figures what he will have for breakfast and take to lunch. It is really working great for him and I am so glad. He doesn't think he will be at goal by our vacation the end of August, but I think he will be if he stays with it and it seems like he likes it so much that he really can live with this for the rest of his life. I am doing fine with it no problems, settling into the idea not to stress about how much I am eating as I am counting the pts and that is the whole idea of the diet is not to have to count every calorie, they do it for you.

You have to try this recipe. We had it last night and it is very, very tasty. It is only 177 cal a serving and only 4 pts a serving. It is an American Heart Association recipe.

Braised Sirloin Tips (I used sirloin kabobs)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp meat tenderizer
2 lbs beef tips, lean
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1 1/4 c beef broth (I use low sodium canned)
1/3 red wine (I used burgundy and I imagine this could be omitted if you prefer)
1 TBL light soy sauce
1 TBL cornstarch
1/4 c water

Using a skillet with a lid, prepare pan by spraying with pam over medium high heat. sprinkle meat with tenderizer and pepper, brown in pan than add garlic and onions and cook until onions are transparent, mix beef broth, wine, and soy sauce together than pour over meat. Bring up to boil, reduce to simmer and cook 1 1/2 hours or until meat is fork tender. Mix cornstarch with water, stir into sauce and thicken. Serve over rice. Serves 8
177 calories, 5 g fat, no fiber 4 pts

Jean: Hope you get to get a late start this morning. I remember the days of the blowing snow, no fun. I always have Jack's dinner ready when he gets home and we eat really early, but then we get up really early and Jack eats lunch at 11 so he is hungry by 4 o'clock. I emailed my niece and told her we would love to take them all to dinner if we are not out of town then. I can't say I am looking forward to this sister staying here, but I would never tell her no she can't. I just think it will be inconvenient for everyone involved.

Maggie: Hope you are doing well with the exercise. I can't say it is my favorite thing to do, but I know I have to do it, so I just get it done early in the morning and it is out of the way for the day. That doesn't count the trips up the stairs to do whatever, or the cleaning and such.

My T-boy got all A's again so we are supposed to be taking him to Chuck E this weekend again or somewhere else if he prefers, which I hope he does. There just isn't a huge amount for little kids to do in the winter here as the zoo is open, but who wants to walk around in the cold looking at empty cages because the animals are huddling inside. He has been to the museum a bazillion times and since they took away the IMAx theater there isn't even that to go see. I don't think there is a kids movie out, but I might be able to find a cheapo theater that has one he hasn't seen yet. We will find something to do if he doesn't want to go to chuck e cheese. We could go to Jillians, which has video games, but the food is awful.

Well, I want to get morning chores done before Jack gets up so I best get a move on.

Have a good day today gals!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies. My dh is back in the hospital - internal bleeding. Dr. thinks his kidney function may straighten out once that is under control. Probably from his ulcers and the Plavix can cause bleeding. They'll be doing tests today. Poor guy has been in the emergency room since 10 am yesterday because they have no rooms and have to wait for someone to be discharged to move him. They did send up and get him a real bed so he'd be more comfortable. He's had 4 pints of blood and is now feeling a lot better. He really scared me yesterday. While we were waiting for the doctor to come in he said he's ready to die he's just tired of all this. I admit he has had a lot the last 18 months but hopefully he will turn around again when he gets to feeling better. A friend died from lung cancer Sunday - and she never smoked a day in her life - it spread from breast cancer. So I'm pretty upset with all that is going on.

Faye, WW will work and I know you'll do great and so will you dh. Go girl, I printed out your recipe to make when Stan comes home.

I was at Curves at 7:30 this morning so I could workout before I went to work. Didn't get there yesterday and I really missed it!

Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #3  

Susan: I will be praying as hard as I can for Stan and have him put on some prayer lists, again. You poor things. You both have been through so much! On the WW front, maybe this is right for both Jack and I. I have never seen him very enthusiastic about losing weight, but he is great with this. It sure can't hurt him that is for sure! to you and Stan too!

Faye
Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! It is cold in my neighborhood tonight . . . -6 degrees when I last checked about an hour ago. The weatherman's chart shows below 0, at night, for the next week. I thought sure spring was on the way! Darn! I was crabby at school this afternoon; I get so very tired of lazy, smart a** students! They knew I was not happy so it was pretty quiet in the study halls. Tomorrow is another day!

Maggie -- Your crockpot meal sounds delicious! I haven't been to the store to check them out, but I will. Your raccoon is so cute and hummingbird makes me think of spring.

"Gma" -- You and Jack are really going to town with the WW plan! Good for you! Thanks for sharing the recipe! We didn't have a late start today. It is almost light when I leave for school in the morning -- I love it! I can tell the sun is moving around when I come home after school. Tell Thomas congratulations on the great grades! Maybe he would like to come to your house and play games with you!

Susan -- I'm so sorry to hear that Stan is in the hospital, but that is the best place for him to get the care he needs to feel better again. You have my sympathy in the death of your friend; losing someone special is never easy. Cancer is such a bad disease! Enjoy your time at Curves!

Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:04 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies! It is a brisk 21 and supposedly going to rain sometime today. I just hope not until after I get my walk in this morning. One of my favorite authors died I guess yesterday, Sidney Sheldon. Sidney Sheldon wrote terrific books and was head writer for I think the I Dream of Jeannie tv series.

Jean: I guess winter is here, huh? We got lulled into a false sense of security by all the mild weather we had late in the fall, I guess. Yes, Jack and I really like WW much more than I thought I would even. Jack thinks it is great! I guess you never know with a person. He would have been the last person I would have ever thought would want to do it. I figured out what we would have for dinner tonight and he figured the points, than decided on his breakfast and wanted a piece of sausage and an egg with an english muffin so he decided on having salad for lunch so he made it all up for himself last night. He is doing what he calls his half week weigh in this morning so we shall see!

Susan: I am so sorry about your friend and hope that Stan is coming back around to health again. There seem to be more and more people that are getting lung cancer who haven't ever smoked.

I almost have the back finished on dd's sweater. The pattern has weird armhole decreases and something I have never done before so we shall see how that goes. It calls for a cable needle to be used, but I am going to just use a stitch holder to hold the stitches back and then forward. It is kind of slow going between working on the blanket and the arthritis in my pinky finger is acting up. It gets stiff where I can't bend the darn thing and I hold my yarn with my left hand.

Not much else in the newsworld going on here.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Faye
Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #6  

Good morning! Brough dh home today...tests didn't show any bleeding spots so they are going with the Plavix (blood thinner) causing the bleeding. Taken him off that and we are going to keep a close check, blood work weekly, etc. to be sure that was the reason.

It's only 36 at 2 PM so that is very cold for here and we might have snow tomorrow night (fine with me if it's enough I can get a day off work).

I'm anxious to get weighed and measured again - still 11 days to go before that happens at Curves. I've been doing pretty well with the Curves plan. I wouldn't want to stay on it forever and truly you are only supposed to do it for 6 weeks at a time. I journal everything that goes into my mouth and I think that probably helps me the most.

Faye, a new yarn store opened in our neighborhood. I haven't looked at yarn in years and I'm still in sticker shock from going in there. My friend and I are going to take a class in sock knitting. I always wanted to know how to do that and the yarns are so beautiful and make such lovely patterns as you knit. The socks are done on circular needles instead of double points! The lady who runs it is very nice - she said if we got 2 people she'd have a class anytime we wanted to come so after the big quilt show we are going in March to set one up. It's 3 weeks and $30 so that isn't much. Plus supplies, of course. You have inspired me to get knitting again!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:09 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Arrow

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Yesterday our phone line was out. Got a dial tone but couln't make a call or get on line. It was the same this morning so Will went into town to the phone office to see what gives. Don't know what the problem was because he isn't home yet but here I am so it got fixed. It isn't like we are stck out here with no phone because the lady whose property we are parked on has a phone and hers was working. She is on a different drop than we are so that is good. Ragg Mopp got his bath and hair cut yesterday and he looks so nice. He got a new little tennis ball and hasn't let it go since. Slept with it even. I have been sticking to my exercise program and FAYE I don't like exercising either. I am just hoping what I am doing will help and that gets me going to do it.

FAYE I don't like Chuckey Cheeses! They are a detriment to my health. We finally found a place that had those mushroom pizzas. The other stores had mushroom and spinach but I wanted the just mushroom ones. This is a low point day for me and that is what I am having for lunch. You got me hooked on them. I think it so neat that Jack is so enthusiastic about WW. That will help your program. Will isn't that gung ho about counting points but never complains with what I cook and he can eat what he wants and I don't say anything but I count my points. He is losing so what he is doing works for him.

SUSAN Hope by now they have your husband leveled out and on the mend. He has been through the wringer, poor dear. Bless your heart dear you must worry. My great aunt died of lung cancer and never smoked but they had wood stove heat and for cooking. Sounds like your firends mastacized. We don't come into this world with a guarantee and must make the most of the time we are given. When our friends and loved ones pass on, when their time is up, we are sadened for sure.

JEAN I hope this day goes well with you at work. I know when you don't want to be somewhere it sure makes it harder to cope. When is your next vacation break?

You can tell I love thise little critters Have a good afternoon folks.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:56 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and it has warmed up to 16 degrees this afternoon. My car is filthy and the automatic car washes won't open until it is much warmer. The sophomores and quite a few juniors spent the afternoon taking the ASSETS test to see if they qualify for the free 5th year charter school program. I had no students from 1 until about 3:15 and that was so nice!

"Gma" -- I don't think I could get Bob to count points although he will eat most anything I put in front of him. He will make the hash browns, eggs, etc., or else will fix soup and a sandwich for himself. Good luck with your knitting projects.

Susan -- I'm glad that Stan was able to come home again. I have a sweater and a pair of wool socks that my mom knit for my dad when he was in service. I don't ever remember my mom knitting when I lived at home. I would like to take a class and learn the correct method to increase and decrease stitches in order to make something that is not square nor rectangle in shape.

Maggie -- I love the little scraggly looking creature and the penguin! I tried to look for the graphic web site and never did find it. It's frustrating when the phone line isn't working, but I'm glad to see you are back online again. We have a half day of school on the 14th and then have the 19th off. That is our 4th snow make-up day and I doubt that we will use 3 days between now and then. Our "spring" Easter break is the three days before Easter and the Monday after. Some school days are pretty "ho-hum" while others are super busy if there are tests to study for and then having to read the tests.

I have bell choir at 6 again tonight so guess I will scout out the kitchen for an early supper. I really need to go get groceries.

Have a nice evening and a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-01-2007, 05:59 AM   #9  

Good morning magnolias! I believe most of our petals would fall off in this weather. I took a litter container out to the trash and we have a smattering of sleet here and there, but it doesn't look horrific. I, however, am staying in the house today and working on the treadmill. I am leery about being away from the house without Jack home and I don't have a cell phone right now. Jack's antenna broke off again and we can't find it this time so he is using my phone for the time being.

Susan: Glad Stan is back home and I wondered whether they would be concerned about the Plavix. When my husband took it, he was on it about a year and started developing huge bruises all over his body. Scared us that was for sure, but it was the Plavix. His cardiologist said they usually only leave you on Plavix for about 6 months because it does cause bleeding eventually. I now wonder if taking him off Plavix is what caused his later problems with his heart blockages again.

Maggie: I don't like Chuck E Cheese either, they have nasty pizza! Thomas always insists we eat there though so we always order one of the darn things. I am hoping he wants to do something else on Saturday.

Jean: Are you snowed under? I know there was a big storm that came through from the west and we got part of that. As long as it isn't raining or snowing, our car washes, any of them are open year round. I got the back to my dd's sweater finished and will start the front this morning. I didn't get 2 of my 6 rows done last night on the blanket so will have to do them and 6 more rows today!

Tomorrow is weigh in and I am anxious to see what my loss is. I hope the weather is such that I can take the car. I am not going out if it is icy as I can't walk in that kind of weather. I am hoping the precipitation will just move out today and stay dry tonight. A little wind to dry it all out wouldn't be bad in this situation either.

Have a great Thursday gals and keep warm and dry today!

Faye
Old 02-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #10  

Faye, I have to tell you my silly way to get in walking when I can't get out - whenever a commercial comes on tv, I get up and march in place. You would be amazed how many steps you can get in if you just do that for 2 hours (so many commercials anymore). Do you wear a pedometer? I got a new one for Christmas that really works great, counts steps, aerobic steps (have to be walking for more than 10 minutes continuously for that one), figures calories burned, and miles walked and keeps it all in memory for 7 days. Makes it easy for figuring activity points. It's an Omron and was about $20 at Wal*Mart - in the pharmacy, not the sporting goods - I guess because they are the people who make the heart monitors and blood pressure monitors, etc.

They are starting a "Biggest Loser" content at my Curves today for the next 2 months. Not based on pounds lots but on % of body weight so it's more fair for those who only have a little to lose. Guess I'll sign up and see it that gives me an incentive to stick with my plan. They are going to weigh us every week. Tonight is my 8 weeks completed workout so I get my t-shirt. I feel so good when I work out and have noticed my hip is not bothering me anymore. It used to wake me up because it would be so painful to lay on it.

We've had our requisit 3 snowflakes so it will now clear up. Still cold and we might get rain.

Have a great day!
Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Arrow Weigh Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Well I showed a maintain today at WW but that is fine with me. I had an OP week with food and exercise so it will show as a loss one time or another. Nothing much different in this neck of the woods.

FAYE Yep you would think our petals would be drooping at least. This is crazy weather all over though. I which you a good weigh in tomorrow and for the upcoming week.

JEAN What web site are you looking for, maybe I can help you. I can e-mail you where you can download the Smilecons if you want.

SUSAN I don't think walking in place is silly at all. It keeps you moving. The exercises I am doing in this small space is with the Leslie Sansone DVD and it is mostly in place. I think it terrific you get up and do that during commercials. We don't have a TV or I would be doing that also. You go girl.

Everyone have a safe and well evening.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been another cold day in my neighborhood with "colder" on the way. We should be buying stock in the gas company. Nothing much new nor exciting other than my "pain in the a**" student from last semester told a teacher in the hall (who had asked him to take his hat off) to "f off." He got 3 days of out of school suspension for it. I wish I had the nerve to confront the asst. principal and ask why this time was any different than when I had to deal with the jerk on a daily basis. Oh well . . . and life goes on. I'm just thankful I don't have him at all this semester.

I found out tonight that Amanda is having her surgery next Thursday so I imagine we will be babysitting. It's scheduled for noon and they will keep her overnight.

"Gma" -- We haven't had any serious new snow for over a week. The weatherman says "snow showers" which ends up being just a dusting that will blow like crazy if the wind is blowing very hard. Good luck at your WW weigh in!

Susan -- It sounds like your Curves comes up with some good ideas to keep the interest going. It doesn't seem like you have been going for 8 weeks. Enjoy your t-shirt!

Maggie -- That maintain will be a loss next week for sure! I was looking for the smilecons website where you got your graphics. I really haven't had time to do much searching.

I make a grocery list and head for the store sometime on Saturday. It is my Saturday to work in the gift shop. Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #13  
Thin Within

Arrow

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Nothing much going on this evening the first of February. Did January go fast or what!

JEAN I do hope all goes well with Amanda's surgery. You know what, that principal gave that juvenile delinquent exactly what he wanted ~ 3 days off school. What a negative attention seeker he is. Got his way for sure.
Stay warm ~ that wind can cut right through to your bones if you don't bundle up. The weekend will be here soon ~ we don't have any special plans but I think next week, maybe Tuesday, we are taking a drive over the mountain to Sonora.

Later folks.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:46 AM   #14  

Good morning ladies! Well, we got Jean's snow so it will be a mess driving this morning unless the salt trucks get out right away. It isn't much, but it doesn't take much for these idiots. I am going to have to get shoes on and walk outside before I decide whether I am going to take Jack to work or not. It is a little below freezing and I want to make sure that it is just snow and not ice underneath. Looks like the warm up isn't until later in the day today so it won't melt until than.

I ordered a Scrabble Junior and a Racko game that is supposed to come today to play with Thomas tomorrow. I don't know what else we are going to be doing but the weather will be better. It is going to be near 50 tomorrow. Let's hope he doesn't want to do Chuck E again!

Wish me luck. My first weigh in is today so I hope my little ticker moves some. I have stayed op the whole week and walked everyday so I should be down a couple anyway.

Maggie: Keep up the good work and the lbs will start dropping again.

Jean: I hope Amanda's surgery goes well. Enjoy the little ones while you have them.

Susan: Hope you win the biggest loser contest and contrats on getting your t-shirt. I like your commercial idea, that is great. You could get a lot of exercise out of one hour of tv that is for sure.

My baby blanket should be done by the first of the week. I have one more pattern to do then finish up the bottom in seed stitch and it is done, thank goodness. I am going to give it a wash through the machine with fabric softner and a gentle dry then it will be ready to box and wrap with the other stuff for her shower. I think we are going to buy her the stroller/car seat combination she has on her registry. Unless a bunch of people go together she won't get it more than likely and they have to have one of those.

I talked to my dil yesterday and she said as far as she knows her dad came through his heart valve replacement ok. She is the contact person and said she hadn't heard anything so she imagined no news was good news. They have a ton of snow up there and are getting more today, tomorrow and Sunday. I told her to be careful going to work and walking from the parking lot into the store. She said with all the weather the pharmacy might be quiet as a lot of people don't come to the pharmacy in bad weather.

Well, gals, you have a good one and a good weekend!

Faye
Old 02-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Arrow Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I am not feeling the best today. Don't know what it is but I have a slight headache and don't have an ounce of ambition. We went to Wall-Mart today and got some more of those Banquet crock pot dinners. The beef strogonoff one I have in the crock pot, as I type, is 6.5 points per serving but I can handle that since it is a dinner and I will have a nice salad along with it. Those dinners are great since they can be cooked on High for 4 hours or low 8 to 10 which makes it great for those who will be gone form home a longer time. I don't always do the "quick & easy" things but they sure are handy when I am feeling like I am right now or in a hurry with other things.

FAYE Your blanket sounds lovely and will be so soft on the babies skin. Those stroller-carseat combos are sure nice. They are making so many neat things for children that weren't there when our kids were young aren't they. Kids just grow up too quick. Did you get through that yucky weather to WW today? Be safe my friend. I know you showed a huge loss and are floating around now.

Everyone have a lovely evening.