Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #1  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Default Show on TLC: "I Eat 33,000 Calories a Day"

Hi All!

Last night on TLC there was a show called "I EAT 33,000 Calories a Day" that focused on two men and two women who ate HUGE AMOUNTS of food each day. After each segment they would have a table set with the prepared foods that each person would have eaten that day. It was incredible.

In each case the person said that they just couldn't stop from eating. Each person also had one or more people that would bring them their food AND/ OR a handy list of take out places that they would call to GET food from whenever they wanted it.

If any of you get the TLC station on your TV I highly would recommend that you watch this show. As you watch the individuals eat, you can just tell that they are TOTALLY INTO the eating experience. I thought to myself that although I have never eaten THAT MANY calories in a day, I no doubt HAVE had some significant binges that amounted to MANY, MANY calories! I also saw the old me as I watched them devour plates of fried foods. That used to be ME!

One of the guys spends $340 on food PER DAY! Another guy used money from his second mortgage of his home TO BUY FOOD!

It made me so sad to think that their entire lives were passing them by, and several of them even became prisoners in their own homes!

Watching the show made me wonder how close I could have gotten to being like this. It was scary!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #2  
Destination:ONEderland!

S/C/G: 375/360/199

Height: 5'9

Wow,that sounds like a show I would want to watch! Is it a weekly show? and do they only broadcast it on Sundays? I will be on the lookout.Thanks for letting us know!
IwannaLoseIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you ever read the story about the subway guy, he said he'd have breakfast, lunch and dinner out. A typical dinner for him was a large pizza from some pizza chain. I don't remember how many calories he said he ate per day but I imagine it was near 10k. Now that isn't even close to 33k but still it is a lot.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #4  
On my way to 160!

This was the first time I saw this particular show on TLC. I would guess that they would show it again, maybe next Sunday? You can check the TLC listings for your area on the Net.

Cheryl
Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You didn't say--are these people large in size? Do they have a disorder that causes them to be hungry all the time?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #6  
On my way to 160!

Hi Jay!

The one guy is 700 pounds. The other one is 800. The ladies are smaller at 500 and 600 pounds, I think.

They didn't get into whether the people REALLY WERE unable to curb their eating because of some disease but hinted that this COULD be the cause.

The one guy was eating FOUR POUNDS OF FAT a day, and the other one 700 grams of fat a day. Mind boggling stuff!

Cheryl
Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I also watched this last night. The part I didn't like was watching the close-ups of the food going in their mouths. But, like you said, it was the point. It was if they were in a trance while eating that much.

It also made me wonder how close I got to being like that too. I know that food was controlling my life. That no matter how much I ate, I never felt full. I saw myself in these people.

Jay, from what I saw of the program, the smallest lady was about 365 lbs. and was eating around 15000 cal's a day. Her table of food looked very minimal compared to some of the others. The other lady weighed in the 600's and the 2 men ranged from about 700-800lbs. What was so scary was it said if they continue to eat the way they eat now they will continue to gain wt. at a rate of 40 or 50 lbs. a MONTH. (can't remember exact figures, but this is close). For the lady that weighed about 365 it said at the rate she is going she'll gain 52 lbs. in 3 months, I believe. A couple of them were eating the number of calories per day that a "typical adult male" woule eat in a 2 week period. Plus one man was spending $36.00 a day on candy bars alone. (they had them laid out on the table and it looked like about 50 candy bars to me).

One thing for sure, I certainly didn't want anything to eat while I watched this show. I hope that TLC shows it again as I missed the first 20 min's of it.

I felt so sorry for the 19 yr. old boy that lives alone with his 600 lb. mom. His job was to keep the food stocked for her. He said "I want her to be happy and food is the only thing that keeps her happy". How sad for both of them. He was "normal" wt. , you could tell that it really was affecting him to watch his mom killing herself with food. I know he must feel horrible guilt, as he's helping her do it.

Cheryl, I think the disease was the addiction so to speak. From what I gathered, the huge amt. of high carb/ high fat/high calorie and sugary foods would plummet their blood sugar quickly after a meal was consumed and cause them to crave more food. I may be wrong but that is what I understood them to be saying.

Many of these people were very manipulative at getting the food they wanted and admitted they become mean when they are refused that food. If they didn't get what they wanted they would just call up a delivery service and get all the food they wanted.

Last edited by lilybelle; 01-29-2007 at 02:00 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #8  

I tivo'd it. Dunno if my husband will be willing to watch it with me, might have to wait for him to pass out. And I guess I shouldn't eat it during dinner.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I saw it on the guide and read the discription. I wanted to watch it but its not my boyfriend type of show. And DAMIT I forgot we have a PVR I hope they play it again.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #10  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

How terrible!!!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #11  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

E-gad.... I'm glad I DIDN'T SEE IT. Wouldnt' want to watch that. Makes me sick thinking about it.

Have any of you ever watched yourself eating?

I have. Put a mirror on the table & watched myself eat. It was gross. Changed THAT habit forever. I now eat more slowly, and chew "with thought" rather than just spooning it in.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #12  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Tealeaf, definitely don't watch it during dinner. It would spoil your appetite and ruin your meal.

Cheryl, I remember now the part where the man took out a 2nd mortgage for $14000 and spent it on Food.

Beach Patrol, I have never used a mirror to watch myself eat. I should do that sometime. My DH is the worst. I hate it if he orders spaghetti at a restaurant because he looks like he needs a pitchfork instead of a fork. And he isn't overweight at all, just eats pasta like a pig. I never mentioned it to him, but it is embarassing. Maybe I should watch myself eat, before I criticize him.

Last edited by lilybelle; 01-29-2007 at 01:53 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #13  

That sounds so sad. I'm surprised I missed it, I'm normally glued to shows like that, they help me understand my own habits and make me want to change them.

I just checked out the TLC website and it'll be replayed:

FEB 18 2007 @ 07:00 PM.
FEB 19 2007 @ 02:00 AM.
simone1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I was flipping through the channels last night and I saw it. I left it on for about 3 or 4 mins. I simply could not watch it, I was totally and completely repulsed by it. The segment that I saw was a man too large to get out of the house. So his entire food supply was being brought to him. I'm sorry, I just don't get that, not even a little, teeny, tiny bit. Talk about being an enabler. Granted I only saw a few minutes of it, but could there possibly be any valid reason for someone to supply anyone with that quantity of food?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Rockinrobin, I saw it, and the answer to your question about how they are getting the food is...

One guy had a bucket that he would lower out the window when delivery people arrived. He'd put the money in the bucket and they would put the food in it and then he would pull it back up. His family said that if they didn't cook for him, he would just order food all the time and his diet would be even worse.

I thought about whether they could take away the phone, but I guess with someone whose health is already pretty bad, that might be a safety issue.

Another guy did delivery service as well.

The 19-year-old son of one of the women just wanted her to be happy. I guess it's probably easier that way. I'm sure she could make his life a living **** if he refused.

Personally, I was wondering how they have all of this money to order all this food! They're obviously not working, and I don't think disability pays THAT much, does it?

Last edited by Tara D; 01-29-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote