South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 309/309/220

Height: 5'2"

Default Has your cholesterol improved on SBD?

I went to my cardiologist the other day for my yearly tests....I have sinus tachycardia and mild cardiomyopathy....no big deal, he says my heart is healthy. My HDL (good cholesterol) came back really low though (28....should be at LEAST 40) and my triglycerides are high (258....should be 150 or less). My total cholesterol was good (187) and LDL was ok (107).

Anyway, he wants me to start exercising (which of course I need to anyway) and he gave me a list of things to eat/not eat. On the don't eat was sugar, carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes), starchy veggies, etc. On the eat side was lean meat, green veggies, red veggies and that was all. So, I asked can I have low fat dairy products and he said yes. So, then I asked well, can I just follow SBD and he said this diet he gave me is better and muttered something about SBD allowing fruit (since when is fruit bad).

He also gave me a script for Tricor which I am totally against taking cholesterol medication when the problem is as minor as mine and I am only 28. I really don't feel like destroying my liver. I know cholesterol can be a problem and I plan to work really hard losing weight and exercising and following some more natural remedies for raising HDL and lower TGs. Then, reevaluate in a few months.

Sorry so long but my question is this. Has your bloodwork improved since doing SBD and if so, how much and how long did it take. He wants to recheck me in 6 weeks and I don't know if 6 weeks will make that much of a difference (at least with the HDL) without taking the medication. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/178/145

Height: 5'8"

WOW-sounds like me-except that I was already exercising 3-4 times a week about 2 hours a day-had bloodwork done and my triglycerides were 222, cholesterol 187, and forget what the good one was off the top of my head-well within a couple months my trygs went to 42 and the chol 152-and the other one went to 42-Am out of town right now-but have the printouts at home to refrence re dates and numbers.
Best of luck-this has been the healthiest eating plan of any I researched-and I definately say-it worked for me.
cheers!
Wild Woman
Old 01-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #3  

Mandi
I understand your reluctence at taking any of the statins. I know each person needs to do what they think is best for themselves.

I do know from experience that I would try to lower them on my own first since they are off by a small amount.

There is a lot of new evidence out there of what statins can do and liver damage is only a drop in the bucket.

Sorry if I am out of line here, but I had to post my feelings.

I think is could be a very interesting thread.

Thanks
nycousin
Old 01-29-2007, 06:41 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

My bloodwork did improve when I started on the SBD way of eating but it was not good enough for my doctor. Cholesterol is not just diet related; our bodies make the stuff too!

I am now on a very mild dose of a statin and am now in excellent range for HDL, LDL, etc. I'd post the results but we measure differently here.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #5  

My cholesterol improved quite a bit while on South Beach. I believe that olive oil and in phase 2, old fashioned oatmeal is great for cholesterol. My doctor was ready to put me on cholesterol medicine if I didn't lose some weight and improve me cholesterol. I lowered my triglycerides from 255 to a healthy number. Everything else became normal and stayed that way for several years.

My last test wasn't quite so good though since I had started eating off plan too much. I'm being more careful now.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago. I attached the numbers I had posted then and will say that I was very pleased with the results. At 32 (and my first round of bloodwork for cholesterol, etc) I was not ready to go on meds, but was willing to change how I ate and improve my commitment to excercise.

Here are the numbers - which are mostly improved (while not always where they should be), after 6 weeks on the diet:
Original/New/Ideal/percentage drop
Cholesterol: 213/191/less than 200/10.3%
HDL (good):46/46/over 50
LDL (bad):125/112/less than 100/10.4%
Triglycerideas: 209/163/less than 150/22%
Sugar: 102/97/less than 100/4.9%
Weight: 155/143

So I guess my message would be: give the diet a try (and I certainly eat fruit on phase 2 ), if it does not work the medication will always be there.

Ally
Old 01-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #7  

Ally, I think that is wonderful in just six weeks. Congratulations!

nycousin
Old 01-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

I don't get my blood test done until April but I feel sure that, staying on the SBD will bring all my levels down in the good range...Good way of eating.

Stay off the Statins as long as possible...they do have bad effects on the liver...you, at your age should be able to bring your blood levels down to within normal range with diet and exercise...go for it...Of course you could turn out to be one of the few that has bodies that make too much chol...but try first....
Old 01-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #9  
RNMOM

Default Oh ya!

My levels improved dramatically on South Beach. I posted these a long time ago when I was losing so well.

Before SB

Triglycerides 306

Cholesterol 238

Cardiac Risk Factor 3.0

After 20 pounds

Triglycerides 89

Cholesterol 175

Cardiac Risk 1.2

After 53 pounds lost

Triglycerides 51

Cholesterol 148

Cardiac risk 1.0