Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-28-2007, 04:55 AM   #1  

Default Running or walking ?!

Hi there...
Is it true that running can destroy your legs and knees ?
Shall I stop running and begin walking for long distances ?

Thanks
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Running is a high impact sport, but the way I see it, it's better for me than obesity, so I don't worry about it too much. Most things I've read say that the benefits of running outweigh the disadvantages.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #3  

Default Running outside or inside ?

Thank U ,
Do you prefer to run in the gym or outside ?
Which option os better for my feet ?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I prefer to run outside, I just find the treadmill too boring for long periods of time. But it's more cushioned, so can be better than running on the road. If you can find somewhere off road to run (preferably scenic!) with a nice springy surface you can get the best of both worlds.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Mattt

Helen has given you some great advise... Personally I much prefer to run also, it just gives me a bigger rush... Whether you chose running or walking though, make sure you have good supportive running/walking shoes that you have been properly fitted for, this makes all the difference in the world on your knees and legs...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think it would also depend on whether you have pre-existing conditions. I have osteoarthritis in one of my knees so I work on other types of workouts. I go hiking, walking and I do the elliptical. All which are good exercise and aren't high impact.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Running in itself doesn't cause arthritis, but injury sure does and running can cause injury, both of the sudden accute and overuse type. If you are worried about long term problems, pay close attention to any injuries, and rest or switch to a non-impact exercise if you need to. I'm also a big fan of cross training to cut down on the chance of injury in my running program.

Having said that, I love running and nothing compares for enjoyment and intensity of workout for me.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I already had arthritis in my knees before starting running. I used knee supports...simple over-the-counter Wal*Mart supports. Even though I no longer need the supports, as my knees now feel GREAT since losing weight, I still wear them. They minimize some of the impact. If you're worried about it, try them. You can lessen any damage that running might do. But as has been mentioned, the benefits far outweigh whatever damage running "might" do. For me, I may have had arthritis, but I can't tell it now. Running only strengthened my knees, and losing weight took a big load off of them.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:09 AM   #9  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I started running a year and a half after having ankle surgery. I wear a brace on the ankle that's had surgery and I dont run on consequtive days. My ankles are stronger than they ever have been thanks to my running. I was told my other ankle would probably need surgery but now I'm not concerned with that prospect due to the increased strength and mobility I'm experiencing. I am very cautious of listening to how my body feels and adjust any workout to accomodate any possible injury. I'm finally to a point where I am enjoying my runs. Now I just need the snow to go away so I can get more in.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Brandy, ice skating is another sport that is GREAT for strengthening your ankles and lower legs. I figure skate recreationally and whenever I take long breaks from skating, boy do I feel it when I get back on the ice!

Mattt - Running is wonderful cardio and I am running more now than I ever have. You can run in a manner that's kind to your body and joints. Pay close attention to your body and STRETCH properly before and after each run. Once a week spend about 30 minutes doing deep stretching on top of your regular pre and post run stretching. Also, I don't run every day and listen to any warning signs my joints and muscles give me. If my hip is feeling a bit off, I take a few days off running and do extensive hip stretches. Walking is great exercise, too. You can do both to mix it up if you're worried about too much impact from running (one day running, one day walking). Good luck!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #11  

Default The problem with running

I guess that running is much better and I DO try to run at least 2-3 times a week... But it's often makes me hurt my body...
Last week I run outside in my neighborhood and totally ruined my ankle....
When walking I feel that the chance of hurting myself is much lower...