Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2007, 03:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Talking Changing goals as you lose weight.

When I started losing weight I was just more focused on getting the darn stuff off. So basically, I was focusing on cardio.

Now that I'm losing weight and I can actually see muscles, and see myself reaching my goal, I'm wanting to start focusing on weight training as well.

Also, as I'm losing weight I keep adjusting my ultimate goal.

Has anyone had any familiar experiences?
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:39 AM   #2  

I'm teetering on this issue.

When I started, I never really thought that I would be losing more than twenty pounds. I just really didn't think that I had it in me to do it. I picked my goal weight basically out of thin air, with no thought that I would actually hit it.

Now that I've lost 75 pounds, I'm wondering. Do I really need to lose the last 40 pounds to be successfull? I've already met my health goals. I still don't like to way I look, but I like it much better than I did before. Is feeling good good enough? I don't feel like giving up, I just don't. But I wonder if I set a realistic goal.

I don't know how to know the answer.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #3  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Melissa and Annie!

I think it's fine to switch it up, change your goals, and decide for yourself how you feel about things! If these pounds that we are losing are to STAY OFF, then we have to constantly look at our current body and decide what's best FOR IT!

Melissa-Congrats on seeing those muscles! That's GOT to be a big motivation for you!

Annie- SEVENTY-FIVE pounds is FANTASTIC! Enjoy your victory! Maybe you need to spend time maintaining that weight and see how it feels for you. I think that sometimes we just need a time to practice MAINTENANCE so that we can see how this new body feels. If you have been following any of my posts, you know that I was 210 pounds FOR EIGHT MONTHS! I didn't gain, I didn't lose. It was frustrating yet I was VERY happy that I wasn't gaining any weight. Now I finally have lost a pound and am 209. Maybe my body and I just needed to take a breather before moving on down the scale!

GREAT JOB, gals!

Cheryl

Last edited by Cheryl14; 01-29-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Greetings, all!

I set my current goal where it is simply based on BMI. I want to move out of the "obese" category and into the "overweight" category.

When I reach my current goal, I will probably do maintenance for awhile simply because it is so tiring (and hard on the body) to have to keep going with a weight loss program for weeks and months. Then I'll consider a new goal if I've been successful at maintaining.

Great work on the weight you've lost so far!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I to set my goal based on my BMI. I am now at the point where I have to change things around to loose more weight(stuck fluctuating between 141 and 145). Everyone has to pick their own goal and they will change troughout our lives. Whe I first started working out I wanted to loose the baby weight from my last 2 kids but then when I go a scale and realized I was under that I went with the BMI thing I still have a few pounds to go. Then i think after that i may try my body fat %. I am more concerned with being healthy.
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl14 View Post
Hi Melissa and Annie!

I think it's fine to switch it up, change your goals, and decide for yourself how you feel about things! If these pounds that we are losing are to STAY OFF, then we have to constantly look at our current body and decide what's best FOR IT!

Annie-Congrats on seeing those muscles! That's GOT to be a big motivation for you!

Melissa- SEVENTY-FIVE pounds is FANTASTIC! Enjoy your victory! Maybe you need to spend time maintaining that weight and see how it feels for you. I think that sometimes we just need a time to practice MAINTENANCE so that we can see how this new body feels. If you have been following any of my posts, you know that I was 210 pounds FOR EIGHT MONTHS! I didn't gain, I didn't lose. It was frustrating yet I was VERY happy that I wasn't gaining any weight. Now I finally have lost a pound and am 209. Maybe my body and I just needed to take a breather before moving on down the scale!

GREAT JOB, gals!

Cheryl
I think you switched the names around, babe.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I think my goal is just an estimate. Its been so long since I've been even healthy weight and I dont think I EVER had a healthy lifestyle that I dont really know where I will look good, what is maintainable, etc.

That's one of the reasons my tickers are only to my current mini goal.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #8  
Mel

I had the very same experience. I picked my goal weight out of the hat-- it seemed to be about what everyone else my height and age was posting on this site. I never even thought about a goal until I joined 3FC- just LOSE WEIGHT! When I did hit my goal weight, my reaction was...yuck...this isn't the body I expected. And I DID exercise, just not the way I do now with heavy weight training along with the cardio. I did a lot of high rep full body circuit training while I was losing.

A few months after I hit my goal weight, after completing a 12 week Body for Life Challenge, I was two pounds heavier but 2 sizes smaller. I looked so much better! Now, five years later almost to the day, I'm 10 pounds below my original goal and have a flat stomach a defined muscles at age 52. My goals most certainly changed! I feel better, look better, and because I'm strong and flexible, can do all sorts of things that most of my age cohorts think are just plain crazy Roller blading anyone?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

When I weighed nearly 300 pounds it was easy to make weight loss my number 1 priority. Now I'm below 180. Clearly weight loss is still in the cards, but I'm having a lot of mental problems gearing myself up for more weight loss. So, I'm focusing more on fitness. I've been weight training for a year, and having great results, but I need to do more cardio, and have added in yoga. I want to bike to work more and try different classes at the gym... more weight may come off, but I don't want it in the forefront of my mind right now...

I've actually been at this weight since November, but have gone down a clothing size -- weight training really IS helpful on so many levels!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #10  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Melissa and Annie!

Sorry for switching the names! I fixed 'em!

Good Luck to you both!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #11  

It's ok, I knew exactly what you meant. I flip things around all the time, then blame it on being left-handed. And thanks for the advice!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote