Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #1  
Mel

Default My old Crock Pot Cracked!

So sad, so STUPID! I tried to warm the stoneware insert on my gas range on a very low flame. Pfffft- it cracked!

I can't replace the insert- it's OLD. What kind of slow cooker do you have? Do you like it? Is it easy to clean, store, fill and ignore? What size and brand?

Help chickies! I used mine at least twice a week

Thanks

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I have a West Bend Crockpot, I like it............however I wish that the heating settings were in degrees rather then just low and high. I can't cook anything on high because it cooks too fast, the low is even quick. I have a hard time leaving the house with it on because I worry about it. Our roaster is in degrees and I'm pretty sure that there are some crockpots like that too. Anyhow, I would recommend getting one that has degrees!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

That really is devastating!!!

I have one of the mini-crockpots that my friend gave me when she graduated from college. It only makes enough for two servings but I live alone so it doesn't bother me. I also have one of the rival multicookers (which is a steamer, slow cooker and deep fryer), it has the temperature settings. I actually don't like for the slow cooker function as much as I like my crockpot because I'm haven't got the hang of the temperature settings yet. I either set it too high or low.

My mom actually got three crockpots (two different sizes for her and one for my brother) off a local yahoo freecycle group. All were either brand new or next to new. You might want to see if a group is in your area and look there before you go buy one (that is if you don't mind used stuff). You can even post a wanted crockpot and see if people reply. Just a suggestion.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:42 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I love my crock pot too, but I have no great suggestions for you Mel, mine is probably as old as yours...24yrs!

I do have a question for ya though... What specific recipes do you cook in yours? I need some new ideas!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I have a Rival 3 1/2 quart crockpot. It was fairly inexpensive if I recall, perhaps $20.00. They have some different patterns too if you're interested in it matching it to your kitchen decor. It works quite well and is easy to clean. I also use the crock pot liner inserts to make clean ups even easier.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
So sad, so STUPID! I tried to warm the stoneware insert on my gas range on a very low flame. Pfffft- it cracked!
I had a little accident with one of mine as well. I keep my crockpots on a shelf with other appliances (rice steamer, sandwich makers, etc.) and my smallest crockpot (so cute and perfect for sauces, fondues and that sort of thing) fell off the shelf and the glass lid shattered into a zillion pieces. I wasn't happy, I love that little thing.

I've got a 6-quart that I really like. It's a Rival and it has 3 settings - high, low and warm. I love the "warm" setting, my 3-quart doesn't have that. I don't like my 3-quart because, unlike my 6-quart, it's all one piece, it doesn't have the stoneware insert. So it's a pain to wash and I usually avoid using it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Mel, Target has a lot of crock pots to choose from and you'll probably find something very similar to what you had. I have 3 different ones, but wish I had a larger one (one is mini for dips). I agree that the high-low only setting is a detriment, but in order to get one with degrees it will probably cost more.

I'm thinking I'll have to go through my crockpot cookbooks now.....the weather here is cold and cloudy--perfect weather for a crockpot meal! I'll have to do that before I run to the grocery store.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

I have a Rival that I really like. I don't know the exact capacity but it is big.

Be sure to get one with a removable crock, and I would suggest getting a large one.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #9  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

I got a hamilton beach 6 quart one for christmas, it is wonderful, ive used it several times already. Its got the high and low settings as well as a warm setting.
its also a "travel one" ( it has hook things that attach the lid to the pot part, so if you needed to take it to a potluck it wouldnt spill) and it also has a spoon rest on the lid. i absolutly LOVE crockpots lol
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #10  
Mel

Thanks all! Cupcake, that's just what I bought and I've already used it to make currried chicken. It's a big 6 quart oval and makes enough for a meal and 2 frozen "next weeK' meals which is the way I like to cook.

Ilene- I make all sorts of things. I cook whole chickens, turkey breasts, turkey chili, pot roasts, soups. Dh makes rice pudding. I like to cook in big batches, then freeze portions for later.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote