Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #1  

Default sleepy=hungrier?

I know it's been studied that loss of sleep affects the hormone leptin which in turn increases appetite. Has anybody found this to actually be true? I've kind of been noticing this. Actually, today, I seem to be hungrier than usual and I'm verrrrrry sleepy from not nearly enough shut eye last night. Anyone else?
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #2  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I don't know the science behind it, but I've noticed that too. It would make sense in the context of energy sources - if we haven't been able to replenish our reserves with sleep, our body craves more quick calorie fixes to make upf or it, perhaps?
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #3  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

It also occurs to me the causation might be reversed - perhaps when you've been eating less for a few days, you get hungrier AND as a result have less energy and are more tired. Just another possible perspective.
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #4  
Meg

I absolutely believe this to be true! My worst days food-wise are my tired days. If I have a bad night's sleep, I know I have to be super-careful with food the next day or I can end up in a very bad place.

It sounds weird, but I've concluded that my body can't tell the difference between 'tired' and 'hungry'. They feel the same to me, which is . If I'm exhausted, I can eat a normal, healthy meal and still feel 'hungry', though intellectually I know that I'm really tired, not hungry. That's one of the reasons why I have to eat according to my head and not my stomach!

Plus - food can give us quick energy when we're tired. It makes sense to be craving sweet carb-y foods that give a quick burst of energy when what we need (and can't get) is sleep. Eating something can totally wake me up when I'm falling asleep at the wrong time.

Hang it there and fight off the cravings! Feed your body good, healthy food today - even a little more if you need it - and catch up on your sleep this weekend.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I am the same way Meg. If I'm really tired/sleepy, then eating makes me feel better, shortly. I tend to eat a bit more on the days that I'm tired.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #6  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

For YEARS, probably for most of my adult life, I lived on very little sleep. After reading all the research on how lack of sleep can cause weight gain, I'm trying REALLY HARD to change my ways. Over 30 years I put on 100 pounds. I'm discovering that my emotional eating, the stress that I let get to me, my TWO JOBS, my children, my husband, my family, and probably a million other things got me so worked up that I lost ME.

Sleeping more hours is now as much a part of my weight loss plan as eating the right size portions of nutritios foods!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #7  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

For YEARS, probably for most of my adult life, I lived on very little sleep. After reading all the research on how lack of sleep can cause weight gain, I'm trying REALLY HARD to change my ways. Over 30 years I put on 100 pounds. I'm discovering that my emotional eating, the stress that I let get to me, my TWO JOBS, my children, my husband, my family, and probably a million other things got me so worked up that I lost ME.

Sleeping more hours is now as much a part of my weight loss plan as eating the right size portions of nutritious foods!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #8  

That's interesting about the hormone thing. I've always known that I tend to eat more when I'm tired. But for me I know true hunger has nothing to do with it. It's more of a craving thing. Like Meg said, my body doesn't differentiate between what it's needing, it just knows that there is a deficit of some kind, so I reach for food when sleep is what I need. Or maybe I'm just too tired to muster up the will power!
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #9  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Hhhmmmm.....I've never heard this before, but it sure does make sense!!! As a busy mom I know that I don't get the sleep I need, and haven't for years. I've also been trying to do better about the amount of sleep I get since I started ww. Just one more reason to go to bed at a reasonable hour!!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

OOOOHHHHH yeah. When I used to work hellacious hours (48 hours straight) I would get to the point where I needed 300-400 calories every couple hours just to function. It is really hard when I dont get enough sleep to not eat the pantry.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I have known that connection for a very long time. I have an in-home day care and a LOT of children cannot distinguish between tired and hungry too. I try very hard to help them realize that it isn't food they need, it is a nap! (and I too am one who will eat 'blindly" when I am very tired)
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Quadcrew View Post
I have known that connection for a very long time. I have an in-home day care and a LOT of children cannot distinguish between tired and hungry too. I try very hard to help them realize that it isn't food they need, it is a nap! (and I too am one who will eat 'blindly" when I am very tired)
Yes!!!! omg.

I have a friend who's son doesnt go to bed NEARLY early enough and he comes in every 20 minutes after 8 pm saying he is hungry.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote