Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Default Visual ways to keep motivated.

Some people have to see their weightloss through ways other than just on the scale. Lets list different ways that we can visualize our weight loss.

Remember in grade school, when you used to make chains out of paper to count down the days until christmas? I was thinking about doing that with my weight. Make one link for each pound, and then take a link off everytime I lose a pound. It might take up a bit of space on a wall or something... but it's deffinately a motivator.

Any more ideas?
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #2  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Melissa!

My all-time favorite way to visualize my weight loss is to pile my dumbbells into a box or backpack (weight equal to what I have already lost) and carry it all around for awhile. I've lost 65 lbs. so far, so it is tough to carry that much around for very long. (Of course it is a COMPLETE MYSTERY to me how I carried it ON MY BODY for over 25 years!!! )

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I made a paperchain when I started, but I never hung it.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #4  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

S/C/G: 277/170s/155

Height: 5'4"

I love the paper chain!!!! I'm going to do that soon!!!

Hmm.. Let's see ... I've bought clothes in one size smaller and hung them in my bedroom in full view. I did get to wear them and now they are too big.

Also, I've put up pics of me at my heaviest and others of me at my thinnest. Just reminders of my journey. And I always still use a calendar just for me on my bathroom wall that I write on the top of each month.. "I vow to continue my journey to wellness." And I sign it. I then check off each day with an X or a check mark, to show me how that day went. My best months were full of checks! Also, my last two calendars were Marilyn Monroe ones, and what better motivator is that??? Having to look at her and then back at me again! (That's ok, one day I WILL look really hot.)

Another thing I've done is hang my food journal up on a nail in my kitchen, complete with a pen hanging by a rubber band. (For those of you who are out of the house alot, this one might not help much. Guess you would have to carry your journal.) It reminds me to write it all down. I look back in them and see that my worst food days were also the absolute worst stress days too. It was like a lightbulb went off when I realized that.

Can't think of any more! Great thread topic.
Soon2BFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #5  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

S/C/G: 277/170s/155

Height: 5'4"

Omg Melissa! Congrats on entering Onederland!! How is it there? Feels good, huh? I am on my way there too, girlfriend!!

And Cheryl, congrats too on a great weight loss! I don't think I could carry around 42 lbs all day now, but I sure had to do it back then, and it was 24/7. My son is 38 and carrying him for a few isn't that easy. (They say it's because of the gradual gain and even distribution on our bodies, but whatever. It still boggles the mind.

Last edited by Soon2BFitChick; 01-24-2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Had to add in for Cheryl too!
Soon2BFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BFitChick View Post
Omg Melissa! Congrats on entering Onederland!! How is it there? Feels good, huh? I am on my way there too, girlfriend!!
Thank you so much. It feels AWESOME.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #7  

I love the paper chain idea! AND carrying the weights around!

I have a calender on my wall, each week (monday is my WI day) I am counting down to a special day in July. So each Monday in big bold numbers, 24, 23, 22, 21 and so on until the day i *should* reach my first goal.

I also am a regular on www.myvirtualmodel.com (I have posted this before, but I'm saying it again because it really does help me) I can dress 'myself' up in cute clothes and 'see' a guestimate of what I might look like at my first goal, I know it wont be a perfect picture, but it makes me feel good while I'm sitting on the computer trying to keep my mind off the kitchen pantry.
ThisTimeIsMyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Something that my husband and I are currently doing, is taking a posterboard, and making a big thermometer on it with markers. Then you put the increments on it...every pound if you have 25 or less to lose total-because you will have more room-or at 2, 3, or 5 pound increments for larger losses. Then you fill in the RED as you lose.
I got the idea from a fundraiser I saw, where they did the same thing, marking their dollars accumilated amounts.

Another thing you can do, is put a certain dollar amount-$1, $5, $10, or whatever you can afford-in a jar for each pound lost. When you reach your goal, buy something frivolous. Use a clear jar, so you can see the money add up.

You could also do this same thing, but with quarters or nickels-and put one in the jar each day, for each day that your diet and exercise were on track. (No money for a splurge day or a missed workout) and watch the jar fill up. When you reach a certain goal-cash it in and treat yourself.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

When I made my paper chain using construction paper I used dark red for the "obese" lbs, lighter red for the "overweight" lbs, yellow for the "comfortable" (the top end of where I feel pretty good) and green for the last few "vanity" lbs.

Or different colors for every 10 lbs would be good too. That way you can work towards a mini goal.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

When I joined WW the first time, we made paper clip chains,from bright colored paper clips, one clip for every pound you lost. I use to hang it in my car from the mirror. It was a neat reminder.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #11  

Every time I lose a pound, I set four sticks of butter on the countertop and say, "this is what's gone". (I keep the same pound of butter in my freezer!!!). I also take a picture in the same outfit on the first of every month so I can see how much smaller I'm getting. I wear the same jeans and t-shirt as I did when I started and now it's just starting to look ridiculous!!!
ChadsMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #12  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Great ideas everyone!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #13  

I don't really know if this would count as a visual motivator, but I don't own a scale and to motivate myself I pull out a soft measuring tape and look at what my waist size used to be and then check what it is now... Yup. I love the paper chain and paper clip idea. The others are good too!
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #14  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I love the paper clip idea. I think that I will start making one to hang on my mirror.
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote