Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Question What's healthier - Olive or Canola Oil?

Does anybody know for sure? I'm assuming Olive, but I was wondering just HOW much healthier?

The difference in price is a real lot. Olive oil being a lot more expensive. I don't use oil much, but when I do I would like it to be as healthy as possible, reasonably priced wouldn't be bad either. I also find olive oil has a little bit of an odd flavor for me. Canola oil has no taste really. Thanks in advance.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #2  
LLV

Olive oil is higher in monounsaturated fats than canola.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #3  
Kimmy

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/130

Height: 5 foot nada

When I watched Oprah last week with Bob Greene....He said that olive oil was better and that canola was the next best oil. I have it both here and only use the olive if I'm cooking something that will bring out the flavor of the oil, like in a stir fry. If I'm just using a little oil to cook a little meat or whatever I use the canola.

Don't know if one really is better than the other or not. Especially if you don't use a whole lot.

Kim
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

Thanks girls. I think for now I will stick with the canola, since it's what I have in the house. Maybe I'll switch it up a bit and try olive oil the next time I need to purchase it. I use oil so infrequently these days and I'm afraid of it getting rancid, I will have to start buying smaller bottles.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Thanks girls. I think for now I will stick with the canola, since it's what I have in the house. Maybe I'll switch it up a bit and try olive oil the next time I need to purchase it. I use oil so infrequently these days and I'm afraid of it getting rancid, I will have to start buying smaller bottles.
I'm the same way, I rarely use oil. I pan-fry with nonstick cooking spray now, so the oil I have just sits and sits. I buy the small bottles of olive oil. Olive oil can't really be used for deep-frying, but I don't deep-fry foods anymore anyway. Usually the only time I use it is maybe a small amount in pasta to keep it from sticking and that's about it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #6  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

I would toss the canola.

The Great Con-ola

I pay extra and get the olive oil and use real butter in recipes. I think I may have even seen olive oil at the .99 cents store before, not there often and I would be iffy on quality etc or especially if it's 100% pure but if it was that to me would be better than canola. JMO

The Kitchen Transition

Olive oil, extra virgin

Last edited by Jasmine31; 01-25-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use canola and olive oil. I shop at Aldi (a discount chain, that originated in Germany, but is now all over the world), and their olive oil is very reasonably priced, and the taste is mild. I also use butter and bacon grease - my theory being if you're going to use less than a tablespoon a day, as I do, it doesn't really matter what it is, and it should be something you like.

Although I will use fat free dressings as a meat/poultry marinade occasionally, I never use no-fat salad dressings on salads or veggies. I think they taste absolutely terrible. The only fat free dressing I can stomache, is plain rice wine vinegar and my own seasonings. Since I find fat substitutes vile, I'd rather use a little "real" fat.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #8  
Goodbye Fat!

I used to have a neighbor who was from Italy. She would drink a tablespoon of oil olive a day and rub it one her face for a moisturizer. Let's just say she is still kicking at 95 and has beautiful skin. You would think she was 65!
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

That's just gross if you ask me. Yuck. But, hey this lady is obviously doing SOMETHING right.

Upon further thought, I believe I will be switching to olive oil. My family and I am worth the few extra bucks.

Thanks for the links Jasmine, very, very informative and interesting. I enjoyed reading them.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

It also depends on what you are using it for. Olive oil burns at a lower temperature than canola oil.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #11  
I AM healthy!

Your welcome robin! I agree with fiddler there, which is why I think it is suggested for sauteing and salad dressings. The best would be coconut oil. I am also going back to good old fashioned lard. I believe I have showed you stuff about that all robin. I know your family is worth it hun!!

I believe it dolly!!!! I read something recently about a couple who were months apart in age(in their 60's) she cooked her traditional foods (can't remember japanese or chinese) anyhow but her dh refused and wanted everything cooked different even though he ate the same foods, she used coconut oil for hers and he wanted the other. They looked like they were 20 years apart in age and she still looked young and beautiful and he looked old and haggard!!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #12  
I AM healthy!

Taking the Fear Out of Eating Fat

Put Lard Back in Your Larder

The Rise and Fall of Crisco

Now I hear Crisco is trying to make a "transfat free" item. You know what? I really don't trust them. Like it said about going back to what worked in the past, I am sticking with that. It seems the more they try to modernize things the worse it gets.