Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #1  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Arrow Such a thing as to much?

I've read on a few success stories that they (200+lbs) were held back by too much exercise and didn't see any results, or lose weight. If I exercise two hours, not weights, just cardio (lets say 4-6 days a week)... walking and eliptical and such... does that mean I doing more bad than good, even though I enjoy working out, and won't see benefits of my serous commitment? I'm a little confused and haven't been able to find information on search engines.

*If there is a thread with this question, may I have the link? I searched but the word exercise brought up just about every post in this forum.

**Ugh, I did a typo in the title- *too

Last edited by Reddalice; 01-24-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Are you doing the exercise continuously? After about an hour of exercise, your body will break down your muscles for energy.

Why aren't you doing any weights?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #3  

After 60 minutes of continuous cardio, it becomes counter-productive. You would be better off doing an hour in the morning, then another hour of walking or some activity in the afternoon or evening. That way your metabolism is activated twice a day.

Too much exercise can wear you out over time, so you need to take a break. That's why it is advised that you take one day off a week, and a week off every 3-4 months.

Lifting is important also. While the cardio is melting the body fat, lifting is building the muscle underneath.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #4  

Working out two hours a day, will not 'thwart' your plans.

Shirking 'good nutrition' and 'reduced calories' will.

I think that 2 hours of cardio with zero strength training is also not the wisest choice.
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #5  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I do strength training 3-4 times a week and perhaps 60-120 minutes of exercise 4-6 days a week. o.o Break down muscle? Ugh.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Cardio burns muscle only if

a) the body is in a fasted state. If you have eaten recently and add a bit of carb intake before and or during the workout you can avoid a carbolic process. Most people can workout for 60-90 minutes without depleting their carbohydrate reserves.

and b) the exercise has to be at VERY high intensity. Greater than 75% MHR (and the best HR formula is NOT 220-age) Most people can not sustain a heartrate that high for that long. If you are able to speak clearly you are unlikely to be working at a heartrate that is burning muscle.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote