View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
Benjasmya
Yvette

S/C/G: 161/137/125

Height: 5'7"

Default DDR'ing my way to LEAN

I am not one who likes to exercise. Ok, that's an understatement if I've ever made one. I have tried various exercises to find something that I can live with, but I have a hard time sticking to any of them because they all seem so unpleasant and HARD. I have always been very uncoordinated, too, so going to a gym or an areobics class is too big of a risk for me.

In October, I started the South Beach Diet. I am losing weight, and I feel good about that. However, I figure if I can learn to eat properly, surely I could learn to exercise a little too!

In December, an exercise opportunity arrived in the most unlikely way: I bought my daughters the "Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 4" game for XBox for Christmas. I thought that, in the privacy of my own home, I wouldn't feel too embarrassed about being uncoordinated. It was also a great way to spend quality time with my daughters.

For those of you who have never heard of DDR, it is a video game where you dance to music according to the arrows on the screen of your TV. (You've seen teenagers do this in the arcade version of the same game). As the arrows scroll across the screen, you step on the corresponding arrows that are on a dance pad on the floor. You can choose your level (I am at "Beginner" or "Light") and play against others who can play at levels different from your own. As you get more skilled, you can choose faster songs with more complicated steps.

The great thing about this (and I am not sure how accurate it is), is that there is a "workout mode" that counts the number of steps you have taken and then tells you how many calories you burn. Since I am not coordinated, I usually take a LOT more steps than are necessary (trying to hit the right step at the right time) and I tend to burn 5-10 calories per song. The best part is that it is SO FUN that I don't even realize I am exercising! My kids love it too, and they love it that they can beat me easily. (You get a score for each song you dance, according to how accurate your steps were). This is the first time I have been able to stick to an exercise routine, even though it is an unconventional one. It's possible that once I work up my endurance on this, I will be more likely to try other exercise too. (I have an exercise bench, dumb bells and an exercise bike.

Has anyone else exercised by way of DDR? I don't know how accurate the calorie counter is, but I do see the results of my efforts, so I am going to keep at it.

Never, Never stop trying!
Benjasmya is offline   Reply With Quote