Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/163/125

Height: 5'5"

Default What's the right way to breathe when running?

I am a new runner and seem to have a problem with breathing correctly while running. I've tried breathing in through my nose and out my nose, through my mouth and out my mouth, and through my nose and out my mouth. It doesn't feel like any of those ways is the right way because I breathe very heavy. I most certainly couldn't hold a conversation during a run... Has anyone else had this problem? Hopefully y'all can help to point me in the right direction!

Thanks so much!!!

starshinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #2  
Goodbye Fat!

I will be watching to see if someone posts the miracle answer. I can't seem to get a good rhythm either.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'3"

I had this problem as I am in Canada and running in the cold, I couldn't catch my breath. My running coach told me don't worry it will come with time. Well it didn't. The occupational health Nurse where I worked told me to breath in through my nose a deep breath and out through my mouth. I have been doing this for about three months now and it made a world of difference for me. I guess it helps to expand the diapram(Sp) while you are running. It made it much easier for me to run. I only run 5ks per day though.
Wanna be a loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I'd love to hear a miracle answer to this too. My husband is a running coach, and HE doesn't have an answer! He says you have to do whatever feels natural to you, and don't worry about it, but I feel like there's probably some kind of breathing technique that could help me. I'm getting better at running -- faster, stronger, etc. -- but I do breathe rather heavily.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Hmmm, I once read something that said, pretty much whatever works. Forget the in through the nose, out through the mouth, which may be more appropriate to meditative exercise. Suck it in through your ears if you have to! Get as much air in those lungs as possible. Some people swear by breathing in pattern with footstrikes, as in:

Left Right
Breathe in

Left Right
Breathe out
or
Left Right Left
Breathe out

And so on.

I pretty much settle in to something comfortable after the first half mile or so, but you may be working to hard (running too fast) if you don't settle in. Backing off some may help.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'3"

I have never done meditative exercise so I am unsure if breathing in through the nose out through the mouth would work for me there. I know that when I did have problems running, a nurse worked with me and by breathing in through the nose out through the mouth it did make it much easier for me to run. I also know that sometimes it is a quick breath in and sometimes a longer breath. It allowed me to breath when I ran. Something I could never do before. I also find I need to take quicker breaths the first 3 minutes or so.
Have a great night all.

Last edited by Wanna be a loser; 01-22-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Wanna be a loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

nose/mouth---whatever is comfortable. If you cant carry on a conversation and you arent in a short race, you are running too fast

If you are prone to side stitches try to breathe in an odd number cycle - like 2 steps in(L/R) and 3 out (L/R/L) or 3 in 2 out so that each breath cycle starts on a different side. Stitches are caused by the lower lobes of the lungs not getting fully oxygenated. Sometimes if you always start on the right you can continually compress one lobe and it either doesnt empty or fill enough. Odd breathing can help clear the stitch while you run

or maybe counting just helps you focus on breathing deeply...
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:10 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I always breath through my mouth for some reason... One of the gals I run with who is a fitness instructor makes us count 1...2...3...out loud or a hum like noise coming from the throat, without the 123 count... After a while it's like a mantra... I also make it a rythm with my foot steps... She also told me that it doesn't matter how you breath as long as you do ...

I'm not sure this all makes sense to anyone but me ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:18 PM   #9  

Agreed, if you can't talk it's probably because you're working too hard, not because you're breathing wrong. Slow down.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #10  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I found a rhythm that words for both my girlfriend and I. I inhale through my nose deeply for two steps and then exhale in twice with two steps (abs tightening each exhale). On the exhale I don't just breathe out, I find that if I make sounds as I exhale it helps with any abdominal discomfort I may get like side stitches. So it goes like this Inhale (step step or two beats) exhale: Hee (step or one beat) Hoo (step or one beat) Inhale (step step) Exhale: Hee (step) Hoo. lol. Lamaz inspired. If it is really cold outside and the air is dry, I throw in a oral inhale every three or four cycles. ^-~ Try it and tell me if does anything for you. LoL. If it isn't any help, GOOD LUCK and keep trying!
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 187/163/125

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for all the great suggestions. After thinking about it, I do agree with some of y'all that I may be running too fast. I guess that is another problem for me: pacing myself. I always start off trying to slow down, but then I get bored because I feel like I can push myself to go faster... I guess with more running I will figure out how to breathe and actually pace myself. Ha, ha. I will try the Lamaz suggestion too - Whatever it takes for me to run =) Thanks again girls!
starshinek is offline   Reply With Quote