Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #1  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Default Unexplained Pains

In the past two months, I've developed pain in my knees and feet. My feet are very tender when first get up in the morning and if I've been sitting for a little while. My right knee aches often...every day or so...and they both hurt when I go to sit down...like doing squats. I noticed an ache in my wrist when I was pouring water into the coffee pot this morning. I was thinking that my problems with the knees and feet were due to my weight, but I only recently developed these problems. I have had a problem with swelling due to hormone fluctuations. Could this be the cause of the soreness?

Has anyone experienced this? I have a follow up appointment with my doctor in 3-4 weeks and will get the results of my blood and saliva tests. I forgot to mention these problems to him and dont know if I should be overly concerned.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #2  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Hmmmm, well, I don't have an answer for most of the issues, but when I got plantars facitis (spelling escapes me right now, LOL) that is how the pain in my feet began. I ignored it for a long time, WAY to long, and consequently had a 2-1/2 year recovery from it. If you've recently started exercising or being on your feet more, it could very well be your shoes. Check out your tennis shoes and if they're not in great shape, get new ones, and make sure they're the best quality you can afford! Also remember that even if they look good, tennis shoes wear out in about 300-500 miles on average. You may need new ones! Good luck!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Are you on your feet alot?? I get these types of pains because I am on my feet so much when I sit down the muscle starts to relax and I get real achy. I hope it gets better, but you may want to call the doctor and mention it to see if he wants you in.

I didn't even think of shoes. Good shoes are a MUST!!
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I have had the same experience as boaterswife. I started doing more walking, and I didn't have good enough shoes. I thought I had gotten arthritis in my knees, but it was the shoes. Also, my feet hurt the same way, when I first got up in the morning. That's the symptom of plantar fascitis. The wrists, I don't know--it could be you've been overusing the computer or a ten-key pad or something like that. But first, try getting yourself better shoes with enough support. (If you recently got shoes just before the symptoms started, then they are probably not the shoes for you.)

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #5  
prepare for the BEST time

If you were previously sedentary and have just begun an exercise program, you might be trying to do too much too soon. you are suddenly up and on your feet exercising...30-40 mins. you are going to feel it because you are putting more weight on your joints. (knees and feet).

January is a good time for sporting goods stores to have sneaker sales...you can pick up last year's leftovers for 30-40% off in some places. You also might want to try a gel insert (are you gellin')? I alternate 3 pair of sneakers. Make sure you are wearing the right kind of shoe for your activity.

I have fat toes...the Sacuonys are cut wider in the toe area and feel better. The Nikes seem to run too tight for me I have to go up 1/2 size.

If you experience noticable SWELLING in one particular leg/foot, call your doctor so he can order an additional bloodwork-up before your visit if he thinks it's warranted.

good luck.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote