Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/175/140

Height: 5'4

Default Frozen Dinners - Comparing

I am interested in NutriSystem and I know they work but they are also expensive. I was wondering if I would be able to do the same thing using store dinners -- LeanCuisine, WW? Do you get an actual meal plan with NutriSystems or can you buy whatever you want? I just can't afford right now to do NutriSystem, plus buy the addl. food for it, and then buy for husband & son. Do you think I would get similar results? Thanks!
Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #2  
it's always something

Ediets offers a plan that clones Jenny Craig, and uses frozen meals you can purchase at any supermarket. You could join eDiets and print out some of the menus and suggestions for the plan, then cancel if you decide not to keep it.

Another option would be to go to www.leancuisine.com and check our their menu planner. You'll set up a free account and use their program to generate menus based on a calorie level that you choose. It includes frozen dinners as well as additional fruits and vegetables to round it out. It looks balanced. It might be easier and less expensive than Nutrisystem, particularly if your local grocers have good sales on frozen dinners. I personally think the quality would be better. My own experience with Nutrisystem was not very good, though there are a lot of people that like it.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/175/140

Height: 5'4

Smile

Thank you for the info! I will definitely check both out.
Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #4  

When I priced it out per meal, Nutrisystem was the same as using Lean Cuisine for me. Even with LC, you should still be eating fresh veggies...
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #5  

If you go to this site
http://plussizenow.com/ns/index.html
they have a good part that compares NS meals to a lot of favorable substitutes if you are doing it on your own. I am on NS but I sub other frozen entrees a lot.
Sue
heelsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Default what did you decide to do?

Good question Gilligan.I was just going to ask that! LOL . Did you find anything out? I just brought about 10 Smart Ones to eat at work. Much easiler than going out, cheaper and getting up at the last minute grabing one and throwing it in the lunch box routine. I was sitting here wondering the same thing.

Last edited by jansusan; 01-27-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: wrong word
jansusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #7  
No cake 4 Gingercakes!

S/C/G: 211/204/150

Height: 5'9"

Default I love my diet plan

Hi Gilligan and Don't Grab,

I've got to jump in here. I am using a combination of Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones in Lieu of Nutrisystem. I chose a set amount of calories that I wanted to stick to each day, and I'm doing it. I never believed in the "eat several small meals" idea, but it seems to be working for me, without hunger or the yukkies. I did, however, grow up in the microwave age, and like most microwaveable meals, while most people can't stand them.

I usually eat 3 of my frozen dinners a day; one for lunch, one for dinner, and one as a snack after dinner, or before lunch, whatever my schedule could use that day. Of course, if you eat these meals and nothing else, they only contain an average of 300 calories each, which is NOT ENOUGH for an entire day. So, I supplement with things like cream of wheat (sweetened with Splenda) for breakfast, or oatmeal, or egg whites.... snacks like non-fat plain yogurt, Quaker rice cakes, some fruit, etc. Also, I add extra veggies here and there and track EVERYTHING I put in my mouth now, on Fitday.com, which has helped tremendously. A controlled eating plan with regular exercise, and you should be good to go.

Good Luck!

Gingercakes
Gingercakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/223/135

Height: 5' 4"

I have been doing the frozen WW/Lean Cuisine/Smart Ones entrees for lunch thing for a few months. I keep a wide variety in my freezer at work along with the WW frozen desserts for an afternoon snack.

It works quite well and is economical. I find that Target regular prices are usually cheaper than the grocery store sale prices.
HobokenLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #9  
Token Vulcan

I'm not on any plan except my own but I stock my freezers with Healthy Choice, Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine and Lean Pockets. One or the other is on sale at my supermarket almost every week, sometimes 50% off, sometimes 5 or 6 for $10, etc. Good deal when they're usually $3.99-$4.29. I do like Lean Cuisine the best out of them, followed by Healthy Choice. I usually only eat one per day, though, and that's for dinner. The Lean Pockets I tend to eat more often because I buy the breakfast ones (bacon, egg and cheese) and I like the pizza ones for lunch sometimes.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/191/147

Height: 5'8''

Has anyone else tried the Lean Michelina's? I bought two last week (Mandarin Chicken and Lasagna) and they were really good. So far I like them better than the Lean Cuisines and Healthy Choices that I have tried!
eesabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #11  
it's always something

Jennifer introduced me to a new Lean Cuisine that I actually like! Butternut Squash Ravioli with veggies. It's SOOOOOO good!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote