Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-17-2007, 02:44 AM   #1  

Height: 5 ft 5

Default How long for results?

I realize that I didn't get fat overnight and I can't expect to lose it overnight either. I recently purchased an elliptical that set me back around 1800 dollars! I like it and it's a great machine. I tend to eat less when I use it but otherwise eating is the same. I will be in the mood for a burger before I workout and after all I want are carrots or just a glass of water. I won't complain though because this is most certainly a feature!

So, if I workout about 40-50 min for 6 days out of 7, how long until I should expect results? I am going from NO working out (I used to run in the summer though and am not completely out of shape) to this.

I just got this elliptical about 3 weeks ago and went away for the holidays and have been working out on it for the last week and a half with only 2 days break.

Any ideas? I want to know what I can expect to lose over the course of a week/month/year. Anyone do something similar who can share their story? Thanks!! I love this site!
phatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Phatgirl,

It's hard to say if you are only exercising and not watching your food intake as well. Generally it's better to do both for successful weight loss. Some people have tried exercise-only, and they got into really good shape, but they were still heavy. It could be different for you--no one knows.

Two pounds a week while watching calories and exercising is considered a really good rate of weight loss. Less than that means it takes longer, but is still a loss, after all. More than that is usually considered to be using up muscle instead of fat. But it depends on your starting weight--heavier people can lose more than that easily. Also, it's an average. Weight loss isn't a straight line, and some weeks one can lose nothing and other weeks lose more.

Anyway, it's great that you've got the exercise machine and are using it! We can all stand to improve our fitness.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations on the elliptical. They're fun!
Keep in mind that there are many ways to measure your results. The scale is just one. Measurements are another. Body fat percentage, aches, better sleeping patterns, the pants o'meter, increased endurance, strength ....
Oooo the possibilities are endless ....
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:55 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I will agree that food and exercise go hand in hand. I've had periods where I exercised and didn't watch my food and I didn't lose any weight at all (many months). You might see some results, some inches lost and a few lbs drop initially but if you are eating the same amount of calories or perhaps even eating more, then you probably won't see results quickly or for long.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I also didn't lose any weight with exercise alone. After about two months, I did feel like some of my clothes were fitting better and I was a little more toned, but not so much that anyone noticed but me. But it wasn't until I started limiting my calories that I started to lose weight.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #6  

Hate to be the one to say this, but you may very well gain weight, or at least not lose any - at first. Alot of times I've heard of people going from no exercise to moderate exercise and actually gaining weight...something to do with your body holding on to calories in a time of "stress" since it's not used to that exercise, I think...but of course eventually your body will adapt and you will start losing. Just a little warning so you don't get discourage in case this does happen to you.
Rtael is offline   Reply With Quote