Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Enviga--Anyone tried it--specifically East Coasters?

A Coke that burns calories? You're not dreaming -- we'd pinch you if we could. Coca-Cola's new, sparkling beverage, Enviga -- featuring Nestea green tea -- hits markets this month with the promise of burning 60 to 100 calories with three 12-ounce servings, as borne out in scientific studies. At only five calories a can, that's a dream exchange. Marketed as "the calorie burner," Enviga contains 20 percent of recommended daily calcium and a special green tea antioxidant, EGCG, that partners with your body and the drink's caffeine to shift your metabolism into power mode. Available in green tea, berry and peach, Enviga pulls off the neat trick of helping you chill while you burn.

http://www.enviga.com/#Home
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #2  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Moving up, NO ONE has tried this????
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #3  

The 1st time I heard about this, I laughed. I wouldn't even bother trying it. 60-100 calories burned with ONLY 3 servings??? Is that all it takes?? 3 servings. Hmm....at $2 a bottle, I think I'll just stick with good old fashioned water!

Honestly, I think it's just another scam to try and purge people of their money. I think the harm Coke does will far outweigh any benefit the green tea has.
simone1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I've never even heard of such a thing until right now when I read this. There are lots of "negative calorie" foods out there--foods whose thermic effect (calories burned through consumptions and digestion) is higher than the calorie content in the first place (most vegetables, a few fruits, etc.). What makes this beverage any better than just drinking caffeinated green tea? It seems the caffeine and the green tea are the things they say are causing the "burn."

And 60-100 calories? Whoop-dee-doo, I can have an extra, umm, half of a banana? If you want to get rid of an extra 60-100 calories a day, it's really easy to cut from your diet or go for a quick walk without trying to add more food or drink--seems counter-productive to the weight loss mentality. Instead of thinking "eat less, move more," so we really want to add "or just drink some magic calorie-burning soda!"
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #5  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

They have them here in my office cafeteria - my coworker has tried the peach and berry flavors. She said they were ok but nothing special and liked the berry over the peach. Maybe I will give one a try just to report back, but I am very dubious about the calorie burning claims.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #6  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

If there's a reason I'd favor this over other diet soft drinks (which I rarely consume anyways) - it'll probably be the taste factor, not the calorie-burning or nutrient-containing claims.

But I'll give it a try if I encounter it, which I've yet to.

PS - I wonder how long before we see some ridiculous story of a person drinking dozens of these a day hoping to neutralize the daily caloric intake, only to suffer side effects of that all that caffeine or extra calcium O_O (I can already imagine the ouchies of kidney stones)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #7  
it's always something

Let's see, if 3 bottles per day burns an extra 106 calories per day, that's 38,690 calories per year. This breaks down to 11 pounds over the course of the year. At $2 per bottle, $6 per day, that's $2,190 to lose 11 pounds.

edit: I just read that they cost an average of $1.49 a can, which is still $1,642 per year
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Let's see, if 3 bottles per day burns an extra 106 calories per day, that's 38,690 calories per year. This breaks down to 11 pounds over the course of the year. At $2 per bottle, $6 per day, that's $2,190 to lose 11 pounds.
And that's only if you don't fall into the trap of using your "calorie-burning drink" as an excuse to indulge in an extra treat or so ("Oh, I burned 100 calories by drinking soda today...sure I can have an extra square of chocolate!")
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #9  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I actually like it. I like the berry the best and the green tea flavour is alright and I particularly hate the peach flavour. Just yuck.
It doesn't have alot of caffeine in it....not even as much as regular green tea and no other simulants. I checked it out because at first I was very skeptical.
I think that it actually works as well. But as Suzanne points out--as a weight loss tool used unto itself it is not very practical.
But, if you like a sparking beverage that will actually help you lose weight (less than a lb a month on its own, however) then I recommend it highly. Provided that the cost doesn't put you off.
I have probably about a can a day......and it is still cheaper than a starbucks habit.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 AM   #10  
LLV

Too funny.

Another marketing scheme. They're trying to sell a product.

No one actually believes this garbage........ right?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #11  
Co-Mod

Actually, LLV, it probably DOES burn 60 cal if you drink 3 cans a day. CocaCola would NOT open itself up to false advertising suits, so I am sure that if you would like to contact them they could direct you to where you can find the actual study literature.
CocaCola is a BIG corporation and cannot open itself up to any suits claiming it "scams" people.
The thing is is that like Suzanne says, if you are using it on its own for weight loss, it is WAY to freaking expensive that it isn't really worth it for the weight loss on its own. Unless you want to pay $1,642 and a whole year for a grand total loss of 11lbs.
But, it does work.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingchica
Actually, LLV, it probably DOES burn 60 cal if you drink 3 cans a day. CocaCola would NOT open itself up to false advertising suits, so I am sure that if you would like to contact them they could direct you to where you can find the actual study literature.
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/01/weightloss.htm

The FTC just announced $25 million in fines levied on big companies (including Bayer, for One-a-Day WeightSmart vitamins) for deceptive marketing claims in regard to their diet products.

I don't think that the size of the manufacturer makes them any more likely to be able to prove marketing claims, unfortunately.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/01/weightloss.htm

The FTC just announced $25 million in fines levied on big companies (including Bayer, for One-a-Day WeightSmart vitamins) for deceptive marketing claims in regard to their diet products.

I don't think that the size of the manufacturer makes them any more likely to be able to prove marketing claims, unfortunately.
Exactly.

Drinking 3 cans burns 60 calories? Did they put people on a calorie-counting machine and find that lifting your arm up and down to put the can to their mouths eventually burns 60 calories after 3 cans worth?

I'm sorry, I'm not making fun of anyone or doubting any information because, hey, who am I to prove it one way or the other? But seriously, am I the only one to find this just a little bit ridiculous? These people know obesity is out there and they know the obese people don't want to BE that way, so they'll do anything to bait us. And really, in the grand scheme of things, it all boils down to money. Money and profit. At our expense.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #14  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingchica View Post
CocaCola is a BIG corporation and cannot open itself up to any suits claiming it "scams" people.
The thing is is that like Suzanne says, if you are using it on its own for weight loss, it is WAY to freaking expensive that it isn't really worth it for the weight loss on its own. Unless you want to pay $1,642 and a whole year for a grand total loss of 11lbs.
But, it does work.
I can think of much better things to spend my money on
Old 01-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #15  
Co-Mod

I think that the way that it burns the calories is through speeding up the metabolism.....which can be done even through drinking caffinated beverages alone.
But, the cost is a bit ridiculous.
Also, Maria, a company wouldn't be out to tempt fate knowingly and on purpose without any concern for repercusions....because why would they want to risk losing a $25mil suit?