Old 01-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #1  
MzKOliver

S/C/G: 274/270/160

Height: 5'5"

Smile I Need Your Support!

Hello everybody. My name is Keisha and I am writing because I need your help. I am very nervous about entering this site because there's so much going on that I sort of don't know where to start. My goal for coming to this site in the first place was to have somewhere to write down my thoughts on weightloss, my progress, my goals, and also to have somewhere that I can go and be held accountable for what I do. Sometimes, unfortunatley, being accountable to myself isn't enough. I want and need to lose 114 lbs. This is the number that will put me at a healthy BMI. My current weight is 274 lbs. Everytime I think about losing weight I think about all the control that I'll have to have and everything that I'll have to deprive myself of. This day is only my second day of my "lifestyle change". I have some motivations, which are great. One is my friend who is trying to lose weight also. I can't have her show me up. Another is my wanting to surprise my sister, who's skinny, with a cruise to the Bahamas in December........gotta get into that swim suit. The other is the possible love of my life, who is also trying to lose weight and doing well. If we were to get together I want to give him a healthy, confident, insecurity-free me. Most importantly, I want to give this "me" to myself. I know this log sounds kinda scattered, so forgive me. All I know is that I'm gonna need your help and support.
mzkoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #2  

You've taken a great step in the right direction. I've been on here only a week and it does seem overwhelming. Take your time, read through a few threads and check them out. There is also a section devoted to those of us who, unfortunately, need to lose at least 100 lbs, but you will find a lot of people in the same boat as you.

Just take it one day at a time, everyone has good days and bad days but eventually I think the good days take over!!! I know it's all overwhelming, but you can do it -- you have so much to look forward to -- a cruise will be awesome. You will feel better long before you look better and I know that helps me along.

Good luck.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Keisha, I'm glad you're here. Give yourself some time for learning how to naviagate this site. You will get the hang of it. This is truly a great site for motivation, encouragement, advice and support.

You have lots of good reasons for wanting to be healthy and fit. There's absolutely no reason why you can not obtain those goals. You deserve to have the best life that you possibly can and getting down to a healthy BMI is a great way to help you get there. YOU CAN DO THIS. Good luck!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #4  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to the forum Keisha! Not only is there a great group of people here to offer support and guidance but this forum is packed with threads like the daily exercise thread and the weekly weigh-in threads to help keep you accountable. As Shelby said, just take it one day at a time. And no matter what remember that a healthy lifestyle doesn't mean you have to deprive yourself - you just have to make adjustments to limit certain things. On control - you are right, you will have to learn to have a lot of control. But if you slip, you'll just need to pick yourself back up and move forward.

I look forward to seeing more posts from you!

Melissa
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Welcome Keisha!!!!!! There are many people out here on this site, ( myself included) who are aspiring to the same type of goals you are, feel free to PM me. You sound just like me!! There are so many awesome and inspiring people to read from here!! Hope you enjoy the time you spend on this site! I know I do!!!!
luckyducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #6  
Fit by 50!

S/C/G: 265/262/165

Height: 5'4"

Hi Keisha!

Like everyone else has said, welcome, and take your time.

Try not to think way in the future with this...stay one day at a time. Each moment presents a new opportunity to feel good about your choices. We're all trudging along, and hopefully can support one another to get where we're going.

One suggestion -- go look at the before & after pictures, and read the success stories. HIGHLY MOTIVATING! Really, when I was feeling discouraged and down on myself for not staying on my program, I looked at those and read about the people, JUST LIKE ME, who stuck with it and overcame the odds! But they did it one day at a time.

Glad you've joined us!
Nancydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Have to agree with others--don't try to deprive yourself. Find a plan that satisfies you and will work for you for the rest of your life. I'm with you on being accountable. Be sure to check out the weekly weigh-in thread and the exercise thread.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #8  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, Keisha! Reading your post, the one thing that struck me the most was that you feel you're going to be depriving yourself. Take a moment and think about this: by staying heavy, you're depriving your self of health, of long life, of many new challanges and activities. In essence, you're depriving yourself of true happiness. When you sit back and re-assess, giving up something, or learning to use moderation doesn't mean deprivation, it means freedom! Hang in there, you'll do fine!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #9  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

We're here for you, Keisha! Whatever you need...
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Keisha and Welcome! Losing weight might seem daunting when you look at the whole picture. It might help to just set mini-goals for yourself...and they don't necessarily have to be scales related. You could set goals for exercise each day, maybe changing from soda to diet soda, etc. Lifestyle changes are really made up of many small changes in your daily life. One day, you'll realize that you have changed your life and you feel so much better.

Looking forward to getting to know you.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

Hi Keisha,

Just adding my welcome - I am newcomer here too and it find it such a lively and supportive forum - not many places you can find so many people with similar issues to your own.

I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed about the task ahead. But just take it slow and take the time to figure out what's going to work for you. It's going to be a long road and anyone would be put off if they thought they had to banish all the foods they enjoyed. Maybe take the opportunity to find a way of eating where you can lose weight and eat all foods - even the 'bad' foods - and learn to eat them moderately. I can't think of anything that would send me on a sugar frenzy than thinking 'I will never be able to eat that again, I am not allowed that'. You are - just not in vast quantities.

Wish you lots of luck!

EM
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #12  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Smile Welcome Keisha!!!

So nice to "meet" you! There are a lot of great motivating threads here and the people are terrific! One thing that someone mentioned on another thread (this really hit home with me) is we need to stop this of it as "losing weight." When we think we have lost something it triggers feelings of being deprived and that we have to go find the weight again. I have been trying to focus on what I am gaining--a healthy and fit me, a clear mind and control over what I fuel my body with.
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #13  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

I almost felt like I was reading about myself when I read your post! We have very similar situations and feelings. With that being said, please know that you are not alone and that there are folks here who not only are in the same boat as you but are willing to help you as we help ourselves....we know better than anyone else how much the support is needed, and thus, you will find that support and encouragement is very readily given here.

Welcome and I hope you fine all the support you need right here. There is ample supply! I look forward to watching your progress along with mine in 2007!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Welcome!! One thing that helps me keep focused is not to think of this as a diet - it isn't - this is a new LIFE for me. I found a way to eat that I can do for the rest of my life - so every week when I weigh myself, I think....this is the LAST TIME I will see this number again!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 364/364/140

Height: 5 feet

Hi and welcome

It helps me to take this one day at a time, I focus on the shorter goals right now my goal is to get to onederland. Please keep coming back here for the engorgement that you need.....just keep coming back it is persistence that pays off!!!
DramaQueenLucy is offline   Reply With Quote