Thread: Pumpkin?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #14
ennay
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I make really good pumpkin soup--even my husband who hates veggies LOVES it. Although we like butternut or acorn squash slightly better.

This is for a small-medium pumpkin or the larger can of pumpkin puree, or a butternut squash or 2 small acorn squash. It's pretty flexible--its a soup!

For fresh squash - cut in half, remove seeds and roast cut side down in a 400 degree oven. Add about 1/4 " of water to the roasting pan and tent with aluminum foil to steam/roast until tender (45-90 minutes depending on the size of the squash). Let cool and scoop out flesh. I usually do this in the morning, or the day before, or i do a bunch of it and freeze the puree.

1-2 stalks celery, preferably with leaves - chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 leeks sliced - white part plus ~2 inches of green OR 1 med sweet onion chopped

Saute veggies in small amount of canola or olive oil until aromatic and slightly softened. Add 1T-2T poultry RUB (not poultry spice - poultry rub has salt in it too. Paul Prudhomme and McCormicks are both good) and stir quickly to release aromatic oils, add just enough low sodium chicken broth, veggie broth or water to just cover the veggies.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat cover and simmer about 20 minutes until veggies are very soft.

Optional - add 1-2 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels during the last 5 minutes of simmering - this makes a sweeter soup - works best with acorn squash

Puree the soup using a blender or stick blender, add the squash and heat through. Add more broth to desired consistancy. Also good with leftover chicken or turkey added right before serving.

**spice rub - I usually start with 1T and then add more at the end for desired flavor.