Old 01-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #1  

Default People magazine weight loss stories

Anyone bought the new people magazine with all the weight loss stories in it.
I read it today.. A lot of good info in it. One thing that I guess depressed me is how most of the people said they could never have certain things again..
Now I understand that this is mostly true but I always thought that in moderation's you can have a treat every once in a while.
I tell you this I will not live without a sweet treat. I will not live without bread .. This will not be something I eat daily.. But I will have it from time to time..
I guess my point is if I have to give up things I love.. I am basically setting myself up to fail long term..
Maybe when I get to my goal weight I will not crave the bad things..
In a perfect world.. Dream on I guess
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #2  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Oh yes, it is a great issue. Even one of our own from the 100 pound club is in there...Charles. There are many inspiring stories in there, but I agree...keeping it off seems just as hard as loosing it.

Last edited by Monkeybabies; 01-14-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Our own Charles is one of the people mentioned in the article!

Some people can eat all foods in moderation, and some people have to give things up to stay on track. You never have to give anything up unless you want to. I choose to avoid certain foods because with those foods I don't have an off switch.

While I'm sure that some people get to goal and don't crave bad things, I've never met anyone yet! But what you hopefully will learn by the time you get to goal is how to either enjoy a small amount of the "bad things," or that they really aren't worth eating anymore.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #4  

I guess it scares me to think about it. Losing it is probably going to be the easy part.. Keeping it of for a life time will be hard..
However very much worth all the hard work..
Really it is not a diet..It is a life change !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #5  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Exclamation I also have that magazine....

In fact I have been a little obsessed with buying magazines with weight loss stories in them. I get inspired reading them!

I do think you can have a treat once in a while, but it needs to be part of an overall healthy lifestyle. I am not eating them now because I am still at the stage where treat would mean B/L/D and snacks in between. I am thinking that when I get to the stage that I CAN eat a treat and be done with it I will be ready. Does that make any sense?

Anyway I love to read success stories because the lesson is those people are not smarter, stronger or better than me. They just put forth the effort. I choose to do that as well!
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #6  

I am like you. I did not have a treat for a very long time. I knew if I cheated even a little I would have not made it .
Old 01-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #7  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Well, the more I lost the more I realized that I prefered not having cake on my birthday to having a very limited of clothing options/shops and everything else available to me. That's what makes it hard in the begining, when one isn't reaping all of the benefits, but the lower one goes, the better and more worthwhile it gets. You end up appreciating other things more........... and birthday cake is my favorite food in the world.....but there are things that I want/like more..........
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/179/140

Height: 5'5"

Agreeing with shrinkingchica..other things become much more important than your once favourite food. You may 'think' you want it but in reality once you do, you may be disappointed. It took me awhile but I now have the mind set that if its not healthy for me its not going in my mouth. If its not going to help my body then I don't need it. I use to be a McDonalds freak..but I can't even stand the smell anymore, it makes me nauseous...I couldn't even imagine how my body would react to the grease. Once you see success you don't want to go back to where you started...its not worth it. This is not to say that you have to give up everything - moderation is the key but its the when, where, and why. I have one free day a week where I may (and I say may because I don't always have something that I wouldn't normally have) have something that I would like that is not in my normal daily routine. Usually for me it something like 'Vector cereal, Subway (even though its classified 'healthy'), banana bread or a whole wheat bagel with light cream cheese but its never been a pig out day. I work too damn hard all week long to throw it all away on one day fiesta. Like I said your mind set changes, and yep clothes and activities become a bigger reward. Just keep at it..but don't deprive yourself forever as this might come back and kick you in the butt later. I'm sure at some point your mind will take over and tell you (and yep..you'll actually listen) that you just don't want it.

Do whatever works for you..there's my two cents..
Paborsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

wchs2007, there were foods I thought that I could never give up as well. And like you I don't plan to. I used to be a huge bread and pasta eater. I have had a few bites of pasta since I started this in Sept. Bread, almost nothing as well. You will see as you go on that those foods or whatever are your favorites will matter less and less to you. My birthday was this past November12 and so many people asked me if I was going to allow myself a treat. And just like shrinkingchica said - I did give myself a treat - I stayed on plan the entire day. I promise you your focus will shift. Just give it some time. I've said this before, I know I'll say it again, I have now become addicted to the weightloss more then I was ever addicted to the food.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #10  

Well I have been on this since Feb. 2006.. I have lost already 100lbs...
I still have more to go....
My focus did shift. The point I was making is that I will not completely give up things. I will enjoys treats from time to time.. I love bread also. Now I only eat it maybe once a week. Sweets I do have my low calorie snacks on hand for that. I will treat myself occasionally to a small slice of cake.
For me I do not think I have to give up stuff indefinitely. Exercise and portion control is the key for me. I believe ( Pray) that if I always take it one day at a time I will win this war. It is still a scary journey.. With bumps in the road. I think how you deal with the bumps in the road can make or break you.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:46 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

OMG, I'm sorry, yes of course you've lost a good deal of weight already - a great deal in fact.

I agree with you 100% I will never, ever give up pasta, bread, desserts and such. I certainly haven't been doing this long enough to really know how this will play out long term, but so far I have been okay with the occasional treat in moderation - and that's my plan and I'm sticking to it -
Old 01-15-2007, 05:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

Hi,

I suppose it's just what works for you and what your particular eating triggers are. If you can banish certain foods forever - then great - it's difficult but I imagine the least complicated option. My overeating is triggered if I feel deprived of certain foods - so for me I had to learn to eat the foods I used to binge on moderately. It works for me. I guess I eat like I imagine a 'normal' person would - the ocassional treat when I fancy it but otherwise it's good whole foods for me. I think diet plans that dictated what you could and couldn't eat kept me fat for a long long time! You can eat whatever you like as long as you balance it well with other foods and you exercise.

EM
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:45 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

English Muffin, it's like you were reading my mind. I feel EXACTLY the same way as you. Very well put!!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #14  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

That's cool. Good for you Charles. I know kimberley and I had a blast when People Magazine came out and did us for Your Diet Magazine. What a fun day. So glad you got to enjoy it.

Here is a link to the pictures for the latest issue if anyone wants to see Charles.

http://www.people.com/people/gallery...004881,00.html
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

I buy "People" magazine on a regular basis. My favorites have always been their "Half Their Size" issues (I usually sit and read them while eating something high in fat and carbs.....) - I usually read the magazine, do the crossword, and throw it out. But, I kept this issue. I have it on my desk and look at those pictures all the time. I want to be like those people......
LondonJulz is offline   Reply With Quote