Old 01-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #1  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Default January in Japan - Traveling with the Worldly Chicks

Konichiwa - *bows*

Good morning chicks of the world! We have overdone our stay in Lapland - if you hang around too long Santa makes you clean up after the holiday

For the rest of January we will be spending time in Naha, the capitol city of Okinawa, Japan. Okinawa is considered to be in the sub-tropics with milder weather. Currently 16C/61F so some of us will be rejoicing in the milder temps and some will need to pack a warm jacket but it's better than my first pick which was Juneau, Alaska (perhaps we'll visit there in June or July).

Being in the warmer end, Okinawa is the first area to bud the beautiful cherry blossoms. Cross your fingers that we got here in time.

To those who may not know us - we are the Chicks of the World - a fine bunch of people who happen to live ... all over the world

This thread is open to everyone. Come join us.

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-13-2007 at 09:44 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

It's always hard for me to remember what people wrote when we change threads so forgive me if I left something off.

Welcome back Suzi. Sounds like you had a great holiday!

Very cute bedroom set there Holly.

Have you got the new eating plan laid out Ceejay?

Mel - gee I sure hope that things will work out for you and that one of your friends will find a way to look after you. Sounds like you are keeping your spirits up - what is meant to be will be and perhaps there is another opportunity just on the horizon. Don't give up hope!

It's a rainy day today. Good for staying inside and getting things done - especially those hidden things like boxes in the closet and such. I also want to spend some time on the 3rd floor going through the Christmas decorations and packing things away. I'm sure I can toss some things too. I also bought new sneakers this week. I've worn them walking around but the real test of comfort will be on the treadmill. So we'll get a little bit of that in too today.

Will start with an early brunch tho. I think some scrambled eggs and a piece of toast are in order.

Happy weekend chicks!
Old 01-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #3  

Default Good one Happy

Thanks for the new home..... you did good girl..... woke up to below 9 degrees today but the sun is out and we are up to about 7 above....beautiful day..... I want more snow so I can ski out my front door. The kids got to see the herd of elk that reside by my house while they were home. that was fun....... I am having a Nae day without my BF til evening..... it is hard when he is retired and I work and have other people and stuff to do..... they seem to take lots of free time.... I am happy to do that but I need my time. Old maids are hard to change.......!!!!!!
Hold some good thoughts for my Mom and my friend Kari, my mom is having some heart stuff and my friend just lost her dad.... they were close and he has not been in his right mind for a long time but he was still so funny.... transitions are so difficult.
Took me most of the morning to just go through my paperwork....yikes ..... can't believe how difficult that can be. Hope everyone has a good weekend.... Mel you are amazing and deserve nothing but the best treatment from everyone..... you hang in there girl......
Thinking of everyone around the world today....
Blessings,
Nae
Roseblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #4  
Radiate self!

Oh goody, Japan! Can I rake the sand in the meditation garden? I adore chrysanthemums! That is the official flower of Japan, right? Thank you Happy It was -19C here yesterday, ice on the roads, brrrrr! Latest craving is cabbage slightly steamed so I'm heading back to the road to wellness Even bought some flour with wheat bran added so I'm not using the pure white stuff anymore. Of course, I always add my flax seed to all muffins and pancakes. My kids have no clue how sneaky I am

Happy- classic, that no one finished the book. Have you been to Graceland yet? I was thinking about that the other day. Curiosity you know, what was your impression?

Mel-you have so much good energy surrounding you, the bad vibes just can't make a dent! This too shall pass. Great to hear all your buddies are rallying around and doing some covert button pushing Have you seen "Over the hedge" or "Ice age, The meltdown" They both have whacky squirrels in them, cartoon fun! Might give you a giggle if you rent them

Holly-Oh wow! The decor for your daughter's room looks like it is going to be stunning! She is going to be feeling very cherished. High five, mommy diva!

Rose-glad you are getting back into a routine. Must be tough having someone who wants your attention all the time after doing your own thing, whenever you felt like it. Big scheduling hiccup, but the new fellow sounds like he is worth a bit of shuffling for Elk on the lawn! so cool!

Suzi-glad you are back. What happened with the car? Did I miss a post? Are you able to drive it? Do you have a loaner? Any funds in the post?

Shad-So the key fit?! How is the new gym working out? Is there someone to help you set up a program? I hope Fawlty Towers doesn't have any more hidden traps to torment you

Ceejay-good to hear that the prognosis wasn't too dire. Be well

Hello world
Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #5  
Choose your hard

Just in case she's peeking in. A big to Redballoon. How are you chickie?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #6  
Choose your hard

Hi Meadow - I just posted and pop - you were in and out before I could catch up with you!

Yes, I have been to Graceland. Didn't hum Paul Simon's song but I could have. I have to admit, I was not an Elvis fan tho I did like his ballads. "In the Ghetto" always gets me teary eyed. It was my brother in law who wanted to go so we all took the trip over to the other side of town. Graceland is on a big main street - you park across the road in a grassy field, pay your money, tour the museums, check out his 2 airplanes, look in the gift shops and then get in a big old queue to wait your turn on the little short bus which takes you across the road and drops you off at the front door of the mansion.

First impressions - 1) it's not nearly as cheezy as I had heard. 2) It's in remarkable condition considering it's age and 3) THIS is a MANSION???? Considering the monstrously HUMONGOUS homes they build now a days, this house is just slightly bigger than mine. But in it's day in the mid 50's, it was a mansion. I met a girl at work who grew up here and she said she remembers piling into the family sedan and gawking past Elvis' huge house. The pool looks like it would fit about 4 people which was funny because he always had people over and out by the pool. However in those days of bouffant hairdo's with tons of hair spray and kohl black eyes and lots of makeup, wearing heels with your swimsuit so that your legs looked their best, I guess only a few of the guests ever made it IN the pool.

When we were in the parking lot, we started talking to a couple who had parked next to us - I imagine they were in their late 50's early 60's. They said this was their 8th time at Graceland. They came every few years because periodically they open up more of the house and grounds to the public tours. When they first came, you could only go outside and filter past the graves of Elvis and his parents. Now the entire downstairs and basement are open to tour. The upstairs has the bedrooms and is locked and will never be open to the public because when Elvis was alive, he always greeted his guests downstairs and no one except his immediate family was allowed upstairs. At the time we went, this was prior to Lisa Marie selling Graceland and they told us that occasionally Lisa Marie and Priscilla would still stay there. You can now tour the house, the outside grounds, the stable areas where he had his office and the tour concludes with a walk past the gravesites.

I came away with a total respect for the man. One section has all sorts of memorabilia but the real stunner to me was the handball court. It's a room with a double high ceiling. That room is filled - floor to ceiling with records and awards he received. Standing and looking all around, it's incredible what that man accomplished. And he was incredibly generous too. More than the Cadillac cars he gave to friends - he never lost the humble roots and southern manners he was raised with. Even if he did have some issues.

I'm glad I took the tour. I'd do it again. Probably will when Shad comes to town It's also just amazing to see all the people non stop who come to Graceland every year. It's most crowded January 8th - the commemoration of his birthday and August 11 - the anniversary of his death where I understand they have parties and thousands of people attend a candelight vigil. Which is kind of cool IF you like horrid crowds. No thanks but I do understand the power of being with those who appreciate the same things you do.

Long winded answer for you Meadow. We'll be happy to take any of you on a tour.

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-13-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy-- Thanks for the new home. I thought we were going to be elves and stay to help Santa. It's a rainy day here also. I've been doing some cleaning but not nearly enough. It's just to dark and gloomy.

Meadow--You can rake the sand in the meditation garden. I'll raise my feet. I'm to old to sit in the yoga position. Hope there are some benches.

Nae--Hope you mom is feeling better and condolances go to your friend. This can be a trying time for both of you.

Suprisingly I have not been bingeing today. However, I have had some chips and a few hershey minature bites. I still have calories left over but's that is because I slept til 10.30 a.m.

I really need to be up vacuuming the living room.

Hello to all the rest.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy--I've been to Graceland and was supprise out how small the pool was. I don't remember which room it was but the ceiling had red velvet material with a medalian in the center and 3 t.v.'s in the kitchen. My neice was only 8at the time and she throughouly enjoyed it. I'd go again.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #9  

Yippee Japan. DD is stidying Japan in school this term and we have 2 sets of friends there!!!!!

Red and yellow and pink and green,
Purple and orange and blue,
I can sing a rainbow
Sing a rainbow
sing a rainbow toooooooo

DD's fav song since she was a wee babe.We have every colour on her room but the red. She is tickled. Her whole kindergarten journal is one rainbow pic after another.It feels fab to do this for her!!!
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #10  
Smackin' into a Wall

Wow, Japan! How cool. Funny, but DH and I were talking about places we wanted to go one day and Japan was one of the places on our list. Oh, and we did have sushi for lunch

I have the same problem that Happy does when we switch threads, so I apologize ahead of time because I have a memory like a leaky sieve. From what I can remember –
Glad you are back, Suzi! It’s nice that your eldest got over being cool and teenaged so that he could have fun too.
Hang in there Mel. I hope you are hinting at good things to come. It is time of crisis that we find out who our friends are.
Happy~ have fun organizing stuff. Happiness is a new pair of sneakers. Now I have that Paul Simon song stuck in my head. I may have to dig out that CD… no wait, I have it on vinyl, so that doesn’t help.
Nae~ Yeah those men-things can be time consuming! I will keep good thought for your Mom and friend.
Meadow~ I love that you are sneaking in flax into food items. I “accidentally” bought whole wheat pasta not long ago and my DH is yet to notice the difference.
Ceejay~ Good work avoiding the Binge Monster. That’s great.
Holly~ Your DD’s bedroom sounds terrific and I hope she has lovely dreams inside her rainbow.
Shad~ there are worst places than Fawlty Towers??? I want pictures!

K I have forgotten someone or something, I know, so I’ll just go Hello World too.

Not much to say today. I still have a bit of a cough but I am determined to get back to the gym and smart eating again. I picked up a new Pilates DVD on Friday and I’ll crack it open tomorrow if I am feeling ok. I have spent the last week reading a fair amount about motivation and different approaches and I think things are starting to fall into place mentally again. Not much else on the plate for tomorrow other than a couple loads of laundry and maybe put away the last odds and sods from Christmas. It’s turned cold here and it is supposed to start snowing this evening. If it stays on the ground it will be the first real snowfall of the year here in the city. Since I don’t have any travel plans tomorrow I am actually thinking it might be nice. That enthusiasm won’t last though later chickies
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #11  

Yay! We've finally left Lapland! I have a feeling there was something not quite right there - some of us having sugar/chocolate/shortbread storms, others worried about their jobs, bursting eye cysts, colds that wouldn't quit, new cars getting scratched and wrecked... Heck, Shad's keys may even keep working now, and if her AC goes back on, I'll believe the jinx has been lifted. Maybe I'll re-lose the 10lbs I've put back on, and Mighty Mel will win the lottery.

and to all.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #12  
Suzi in Auz

What a lovely spot you have brought us to Happy ...Thank you!
I actually got here on the first day and first page for once instead of my usual 2 weeks catch up...am hoping to be more frequent with posting

Holly...I can just imagine your lovely painted room. I bet it looks all fresh and lovely, one of my delimas whenever I paint is taking everything down but then not wanting to put things up again as the walls look so nice...do you feel the same? My DD loves that song too, even now.

Happy...Gracelands sounds super. I would LOVE to visit. I too think Elvis achieved so much in his short lifetime and really is iconic.

Ceejay...it's great when you can still fit special things into your lifestyle. I think it's the key to success, it does stop us from binging when we know that we can still have treats.

Meadow and happy new year to you! I agree with you on the white flour thing. I think it's a great idea to sneak stuff into the kids diets. I think I might start doing the same. We have changed from white rice to brown too and that is making a difference. The kids are still eating it as long as there is lots of sauce to mix up with it. Feels good to be making healthy choices.

Rose and HNY to you too. Hugs for you and your friend. As you mentioned transition is difficult. I am so glad to hear that you and BF are doing so well. ...lovely!

Mel...how lovely to get the support you need right now. You deserve it all. We are still thinking and praying for you.

I have been so so slack with my Christmas cards, they just didn't happen. I had good intentions but there was no time. I promise there will be something happening sometime May be when I am at work and twiddling my thumbs.
I really have no idea what is expected of me yet and am a little nervous.
We will see.

I do have some good news. There may be a trip planned for this year sometime, maybe. Hopefully with everyone coming. We will really have to save our pennies though. I would love it and it would be a dream come true for me. We may be off to Paris! DH has an opportunity to go there with work. I so hope we can go. DH would LOVE to take the kids to LONDON as well. Our accomodation would be paid for in Paris which does make a difference.
In some ways it is good to have something to look forward to and plan. It does seem like a way off...June but we need all the time to pop some $$$ in the bank. I just wish it wasn't so far to go 24 hrs on the plane. Maybe we could break it up with something in between. The only thing I will have to watch is when the exams are for DS. He is in year 10 this year which means he has important exams to do. Hopefully the trip could be taken in the vacation. Paris isn't too far from Holland, which is where my DB2 and SIL are with their dear little one. It would mean we could spend some time with them also! I am excited. Still all my chickies are not counted yet.

DH has had an overseas visitor staying for the last few days which is why i knew about the trip, he is working hard to make it happen. I met his wife and three lovely girls last year at this time and we hit it off so well. The kids would love to catch up with them all again. DS15 has a soft spot for their DD15. She is gorgeous. I know if we gave him the incentive of her being there he would save his pennies. ...hmmm. we will have to wait and see.

Ok enough dreaming. I better get this show on the road. I have about 12 coming for tea for a BBQ tonight, a last minute impromtu thing. I am getting better at these.

Much love to everyone.
Sue x
suzi in auz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #13  

Howdy Madcat! I see your little light glowing.

'This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, all the time"

Don't know where that came from. Must have been an old Elvis hit.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:10 AM   #14  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Talking I knew something was up!!!

happy! Is there where you are hanging out!?!? And carla!!!! Shad! (she's hit the 21-day again...was giving me a hard time on wild boars and pigs...)
But, woah, Japan, who the h@ll in her right mind would ever, ever want to go there?!?!?
Why don't you mozy on up Tokyo way? Lot of kooks there, I hear!

And no, I wasn't peeking, but I saw carla had posted, then looked at the thread and it was you and Japan! Bizarre! Genki nan no?!?!

Last edited by redballoon; 01-14-2007 at 07:15 AM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #15  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

This little light of mine,
I'm going to let it shine.
I'm going to let it shine.
I'm going to let it shine,
Every day, every day,
Every day, every day,
Gonna let my little light shine.

On Monday, he gave me the gift of love;
On Tuesday, peace came from above.
On Wednesday told me to have more faith;
On Thursday, gave me a little more grace.
On Friday, told me to watch and pray
On Saturday, told me just what to say,
On Sunday, gave power divine
Just to let my little light shine. (oh)

Chorus

Now some say you got to run and hide.
But we say there's no place to hide.
And some say let others decide,
But we say let the people decide.
Some say the time's not right,
But we say the time's just right.
If there's a dark corner in our land,
You got to let your little light shine
. (oh)

Hello Red Balloon! nice of you to visit!

HAPPY~ athanks FOR A NEW HOME!! I FEEL REJEUVENATED ALREADY!! MAYBE CARLA IS RIGHT AND WE LEFT ALL THE CRAP WITH SANTA SO HE CAN SORT IT ALL OUT BY NEXT DECEMBER!!! I LOVED THE POST ABOUT GRACELAND. MADE THE PICS I HAVE SEEN MORE PERSONAL. WILL SHAD BEHAVE HERSELF IN A QUEUE??? SHE'LL BE TELLING THEM THEY CAN MANAGE THE PLACE IN A MUCH MORE ORDERLY WAY TAKE A VIDEO CAMERA CAUSE I WANT TO "HEAR" WHAT SHE SAYS!!! I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE CALL. WHEN THIS IS OVER AND I HAVE SOME GOOD STUFF TO SAY!! LOL TRYING VERY HARD RIGHT NOW NOT TO THINK!!

CARLA~ YOU MAY HIDE BUT WE WILL SEEK YOU OUT AND DRAG YOU BACK KICKING AND SCREAMING!! IF SHAD VISITS NEAR YOU THEN IT'S YOUR TURN TO BE AFRAID....SHE MAY WELL BE PACKING LINDA T'S PROD ON HER RIGHT HIP. I HEAR SHE'S GOT A PRETTY FAST DRAW!!! LOVE YOUR CAT TOO!!!

CEEJAY~ THOUGHT OF YOU AND AM STILL GLAD THE TERSTS WERE OK. FIBER UP KIDDO!!! WE COULD BOTH USE THE INCREASE. HOPE PARAGOULD IS DOING WELLL ALSO AND THE NEPHEW.

SUZI~ I AM SO THRILLED WITH YOUR NEWS!!! HOW WONDERFUL!! PULL IN THOSE BELTS AND GET THAT PIGGY BANK STUFFED WITH TRIP CASH!!!!
GOOD LUCK WITH THE JOB AND BE CALM!

MADCAT~ I DO WISH THAT DANG COUGH WOULD LEAVE YOU IN PEACE. YA KNOW IT'S FUNNY BUT WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN I AM ALWAYS SURROUNDED BY MEN? WONDER WHY THAT IS? ANYWAY.....SEND US SOME SNOW AS IT'S STILL IN THE 50'S HERE!!
FEEL BETTER!

SHAD~ HOW GOES THE TOWERS? THE TFG?? ANY NEW AND AMUSING TALES OF THE TRADE?? ARE ALL THE LITTLE CHICKS BEHAVING?? HAVE YOU HURT ANYONE YET THIS WEEK???

HOLLY~ JEN AND I WERE REMINISCING ABOUT A LAVENDAR AND PINK BEDROOM I DID FOR HER ONE YEAR WHILE SHE WAS AT CAMP. ENJOY THE TIME WITH THE SHERBET COLORS!

NAE~ I FEEL FOR YOU AND THE CHANGING OF YOU LIFE AROUND. I DON'T DO WELL WITH CHANGES EITHER I CANNOT IMAGINE SEEING THE HERD OF ELK ON YOUR FRONT LAWN OTHER THAN HAVING MY BREATH TAKEN AWAY!! WHAT A WONDERFUL SIGHT IT MUST BE. GLAD EVERYONE GOT TO SEE IT TOO.

MEADOW MAYBE YOU BETTER PUT FLAX IN EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE CHOCOLATE AND CABBAGE JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE! YOUR POST MADE ME LAUGH THOUGH. HOPE YOU ARE ON THE ROAD TO RECOVERY!!!
FOR SOME REASON AROUND EVERY HOLIDAY THE TAKES POSSESSION OF MY TASTE BUDS!!!

I HOPE THAT COVERS EVERYONE AND MISS TEEL FINDS HER WAY HERE ALSO! OUR DARK AND RAINY WEATHER IS GIVING ME A WELL DESERVED REST. IT'S MAKING EVERYONE SLEEPY AND LOTS OF NAPS GOING ON IN THIS BLDG! I HAVE ALREADY EATEN AND CHECKED THE BLDG OUT. EVERYTHING IS AS IT SHOULD BE. OFF TO THE SHOWERS. I THINK I RAN THE MARATHON IN MY SLEEP.....VERY SWEATY AFFAIR. NEED NEW SHEETS TOO NOW! THINKING AS POSITIVE AS I CAN....REALLY TRYING NOT TO THINK AT ALL! I STARTED USING THE PEDALS AGAIN. MAYBE I SHOULD PEDAL AND THEN HIT THE SHOWER. MUCH BETTER IDEA.
HAPPY SUNDAY!
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote