South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up blood test results

Well, I belive I have shared that I started SB because my doctor was unhappy with my blood test results in early November. So, I read every book, poured over websites and basically learned all that I could - I am the type of person who needs to understand something and have total buy in and then I can do it. My coworkers were amazed at how quickly I adapted, but I just kept telling them it was the only way I could do it. Now, that does NOT mean I have not cheated: Thanksgiving, Christmas (Eve and Day), New Year's Eve, and now with being sick. But, when I cheated, it was planned and I tried to make good choices the rest of the day and added as many veggies and whole grains as possible to the cheating meal as well. Plus, I have always woken up and started the next day on plan.

The other two things I have done are: more excercise (not too good since I have been sick for two weeks) and taking cinnamon capsules twice a day (a friend showed me an articles where they reduced all those "bad" numbers, and I figured they could not hurt).

So the numbers - which are mostly improved (while not always where they should be), after 6 weeks on the diet:
Original/New/Ideal/percentage drop
Cholesterol: 213/191/less than 200/10.3%
HDL (good):46/46/over 50
LDL (bad):125/112/less than 100/10.4%
Triglycerideas: 209/163/less than 150/22%
Sugar: 102/97/less than 100/4.9%
Weight: 155/146 (haven't weighed myself in 12 days as I have not been to the gym)

It is nice to have seen some good results. A friend asked if I would get it checked again in a few months and I responded that I would not unless my docotor ordered. Why? Because I absolutely hate needles and will avoid them at all costs, which would help to explain why my first cholesterol test was when I was 32!

So there you have it!
Ally

Last edited by amasam; 01-13-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Ally, that's a wonderful report! Your hard work and determination are paying off.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #3  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

That is great to hear. What a better way to live in health. Way to go!
Old 01-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Wow! good work..Nice to see the Trigs go down so very good! Wonderful report on all of it.. keep it up...
Old 01-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Ally, !
Old 01-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #6  

Good job, Amasam!

A combination of genetics and "dietary indiscretion" can cause "bad" numbers no matter your age!
Old 01-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #7  

Ally, I am flabbergasted with your results. It should put to rest some of my concerns about eating so many eggs and so much meat. Thank you for posting the info.

One more thing I would be very interested in knowing is whether or not the diet actually did reduce your stomach measurements, and how much weight did you lose when you first noticed it. They claim those first pounds lost actually reduce the numbers. Thanks to you, and anyone else who will post about their experience.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

Thank you everyone! It is nice to get positive support from others.

Elizabeth - I did not take measurments, and while I have lost 9 pounds (as of last weigh-in) I can feel and see the difference. Last week I put a pair of pants that would have been comfortable, but fitted, last winter and I could pull them off without unbuttoning them! I also notice that where I would have come home from work and immediately put on sweats, I am so much more confortable leaving on my "work" pants, as they fit better.

Ally
Closed Thread