Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-09-2007, 11:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Default My boyfriend can't lose weight

I am asking this question for my boyfriend as I am puzzled too.

He is 5'9 and refuses to weigh himself, so I have no idea. I'm thinking maybe 210 lb? Since March 2006 he has been on a low (to no) carb diet. Since September 2006 he runs/bikes 45 minutes 5-6 days a week, eats really well.

On Friday nights we have pizza, but he eats only a few slices, and only eats the top of it (lol). On Sunday nights we have sushi, and I see that he eats a totally normal portion and doesn't eat anything fried or crappy.

He probably has lost only about 5 lb, maybe 10 lb at the most. He is so frustrated, and I don't know what to tell him. I suggest to him to add a bit more good carb to his diet (like yams/sweet potatoes) and to start weight training.

What could be the problem? Any ideas?
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 AM   #2  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

it depends a lot on if he's receptive to new ideas, since you can't pound anything into him if he's not open to it to begin with. And if he is, getting him onto 3FC may be a good start --- there are "roosters" like myself around.

Given that he started his exercise/diet lifestyle change since September 2006, a 5-10 lb. weight loss is not bad, esp. since he sustained it over the dreaded holiday periods. As long as he follows a sensible dietary/exercise regimen, he should continue seeing results.

Slow and steady progress is WAY better than a roller coaster of ups and downs.

And I agree that adding some good carbs is a good idea, since I'm not a big fan of restrictive diets.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #3  

I'm one of those whose body resists weight loss. I can only share my experience, maybe in there is some insight. I weigh 295 and that's on 1700 calories (I should be losing 2-5lbs/week with that according to math, but I don't). I have found in the past when I increase my intake to about 2100 calories AND I limit carbs heavily, I lose. I believe it has to do with insulin resistance. Problem for me is that I do come to miss carbs and then break because I've been resistant. And I also have a hard time eating that many calories.

If he doesn't have a thyroid problem, I would suggest trying low carb with him. Eat all proteins and veggies, allow for healthy fats, avoid dairy for a while. If he must have a carb, make sure it's complex only (Ezekiel bread, a sweet potato) or a low sugar fruit (berries) and no more than one serving of each.

See if that gets the scale moving.

FYI, he may have an undiagnosed thyroid problem. More and more doctors are coming to believe that the current idea of a healthy thyroid xyz #s is not accurate, it's about what level is effective with you individually. I have a healthy thyroid, but I hold onto fat like there's no tomorrow.
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl69 View Post

If he doesn't have a thyroid problem, I would suggest trying low carb with him. Eat all proteins and veggies, allow for healthy fats, avoid dairy for a while. If he must have a carb, make sure it's complex only (Ezekiel bread, a sweet potato) or a low sugar fruit (berries) and no more than one serving of each.
But he already does that! And last summer he said he was eating crap but biking 15 k almost every day and lost tons of weight.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

then perhaps THAT low carb isnt working well for his energy and metabolism. Personally any diet that has you eat the cheese off the pizza and skip the crust is a little too..out there for me. Especially with his activity level, he may NEED more carbs so the body is going into starvation.

Check out a diabetic or south beach style approach to carbs, its far more moderate and gives the carbs needed to support activity well.

And well...count calories for awhile, its the only way to get a really good feel for what is going on. Even if he doesnt want to do it forever, 1-2 weeks of religious calorie counting gives you volumes of information
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #6  

What I would do...monitor the amount of caloric intake, measure everything, drop 100c until you start to see slight movement on the scale. If that doesn't work, try raising the calories slightly. I'm 295, I should lose on 1700c, but I stall. I lose better when I eat more protein and hit 2000 calories.

Because he's active and not losing and not overeating, I'd still garner he may be eating too many calories for his body or not enough calories.

Does he feel full?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I agree with ennay, he may be eating too many calories; and I didnt do well on a mainly low carb diet. Lord only knows how many calories I was eating, I have no idea, but something just wasn't working til I started calorie counting very accurately. At least when I over eat I know why the scale isn't moving. Also, strength training would definitely help him lose weight.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #8  

well, awhile ago I got him to tell me every single thing he ate, including sizes and portions, and added them all up in a WW fashion and he was strictly within his points range for what I estimate his weight to be.

Maybe I will do that all over again. I have a feeling he's not eating enough actually. And I don't agree with the no/low carb diet at all. I did that once and lost 5 lb immediately and then never could lose anything after that. And in fact, on the zone I actually GAINED 10 lb.

Thanks everyone!!!

PS - does anyone know where I can find something to tell me how many calories he SHOULD be consuming daily in order to lose weight?

Last edited by choirgirlhotel; 01-11-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #9  

I'm not suggesting Atkins or that you don't watch calories. But weight lifters do it all the time, remove sugar and starches to increase weight loss. Also, those who have had WLS are often told to avoid the same. It's just about the insulin reaction to carbs, making the body hold onto the weight.

No one's saying eat a ton of butter and bacon. Just avoid sugar, white foods, and starches.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #10  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirlhotel View Post
does anyone know where I can find something to tell me how many calories he SHOULD be consuming daily in order to lose weight?
Sally Squires, the health & nutritionist columnist "the Lean Plate Club" (Washington Post), gives a rough estimate of baseline metabolism of 10x your weight in calories (+ 10-20%).

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120600939.html

So if your boyfriend weighs 200 pounds, his body is burning roughly 2200 to 2400 calories a day (200 * 10 = 2,000, which you then times by 1.1 to 1.2). Adjust the caloric deficit as appropriate to achieve weight loss (by eating less & exercising more) -- remember 2 things: 1) 3,500 calories = 1 pound, 2) safe, sustainable weightloss should be no more than 2 pounds a week.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl69 View Post
I'm not suggesting Atkins or that you don't watch calories. But weight lifters do it all the time, remove sugar and starches to increase weight loss. Also, those who have had WLS are often told to avoid the same. It's just about the insulin reaction to carbs, making the body hold onto the weight.

No one's saying eat a ton of butter and bacon. Just avoid sugar, white foods, and starches.
I understand what you are saying. I was talking about no-carbs for myself, personally. But he already doesn't eat sugar/white food/starches.

Also, thank you for the calorie information - I will use it for myself too!

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #12  

The information is kind of vague to say exactly whats wrong (from a guy's point of view).

but to diet and exercise for months and not have any remarcable results is bad and he needs to get to the root of the problem.

First and foremost:

He needs to weigh himself (i dont think you really need to weigh yourself once you know what you are doing, but since his results havent been noticeable he needs to do it).

He needs a bodyfat caliper.

He needs to get his body measures with a tape.

Weightlift, hard.

post diet on Fitday for 1-2 weeks untill he can guestimate what he eats by looking at the food.

Check out Bodybuilding.com and read the discussions on fat loss-3FC being a more female fitness support forum i think he would find more guys there to help him out.

Good luck.
ROFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

If he hasn't weighed himself isn't it possible he HAS lost more weight than you think?

Does he take measurements? Fit into smaller sizes? There are other ways to measure progress...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
If he hasn't weighed himself isn't it possible he HAS lost more weight than you think?

Does he take measurements? Fit into smaller sizes? There are other ways to measure progress...
Oh yeah, it's totally possible. I think he's going by how his jeans fit, clothes fit, etc. I even offered for him to weigh himself, but not look, and I would tell him week by week if he has lost or gained, but never tell him the total amount he weighs lol. He wouldn't go for that. he won't even take measurements.

I just feel bad because I can see how frustrated and unhappy he is, and how hard he is trying. I have a feeling it will just come off fast pretty soon, he just has to be patient. I keep telling him he's not going to wake up in a month and have lost 40 lb or something ridiculous like that.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

oh, he's a toughy!!! patience is one of the hardest parts of this mental journey! good luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote