Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #1  
Recovering Shopaholic

S/C/G: See tickers for latest!

Height: 5'3"

Question Correct athletic shoes for Cardio?

I need some info on the correct shoes to be wearing!

When I started my lifestyle change (I hate the word diet, not for me!) in Fall 2001, I bought myself these great Reebok running shoes for my new treadmill. Well, that was when I weighed 245 pounds, and 5.5+ years ago! I think I need to invest in some NEW shoes!

Thing is, I rarely use them for actual running (a very light jog is the best I do) and use them more for Turbo Jam and other cardio. These old ones have lasted me a long time - I only wear them when exercising - but they aren't comfortable anymore, maybe even a little big. I can't spend a lot of money on new ones either, I am kind of just looking for something to get me through the winter, but basically I need to know what type of shoes I should buy.

So, are cross trainers the correct kind of shoes I should be wearing?

TIA for your help!

Kelly
HandbagAficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

If you are primarily doing something that includes side to side motion (step aerobics, etc. - sorry I dont know what turbo jam is) you want cross trainers. Cross trainers have more side to side stability. However they dont have great support for running

Running shoes have pronation control and more padding to take the impact but they arent designed for side to side action

Walking shoes have different pronation control and I think more heel cushioning.

If you can only afford one pair of shoes, get the ones for the activity that has the most impact and/or is done more often. ie. you CAN walk in running shoes, running in walking shoes not such a great idea.

And...they need to be replaced WAY more often than 5 years. Its 300 miles for running shoes, or typically a maximum of 6 months - 1 year depending on how often you work out.

Plus, looking at your ticker (kick butt btw!) you have lost a lot of weight in the last 5 years. No way your feet were shaped exactly the same. Those shoes are toast.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #3  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

That was such a great question and I've often wondered the same thing. There's no way I'm buying 4 different pairs of shoes but now I have a problem because I like to do a few different things.

Last year I bought a pretty good pair of walking shoes from a very reputable store, since my husband and I do walk a lot. He specifically said "do you run because you can walk in running shoes but you can't run in walking shoes." At the time there was no way I was thinking about running but I never asked why that was the case.

I get what was answered above about the side to side motion etc. (good information by the way so thanks!) but now I'm struggling because I've started to run (yes, in my walking shoes) and I walk and do step aerobics and, in the summer, play a bit of tennis.

Now I can accept two pairs of shoes but that's it!! I am going very soon to get a pair of running shoes because I think that's important but I hope my "walking shoes" will continue to be okay as general cross trainers!

It can all be very confusing
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9

I've found that cross-trainers are great for pretty much everything. I tried doing Turbo Jam and other videos in my walking sneakers and found that they are not as flexible. It's easier to do the videos with cross-trainers on. They have more bounce!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #5  

I went to a New Balance store to get my latest athletic shoe. They asked what activities I'd be doing, then measured my feet, looked at my arches, and the direction my feet rolled. Based on that, the guy made recommendations (which included getting shoes a full size larger than I typically wear. He explained why)

It was the best investment I've ever made. My feet have NEVER been so happy when exercising.

(I still think they look SUPER big...but that's ok)
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
I went to a New Balance store to get my latest athletic shoe. They asked what activities I'd be doing, then measured my feet, looked at my arches, and the direction my feet rolled. Based on that, the guy made recommendations (which included getting shoes a full size larger than I typically wear. He explained why)

It was the best investment I've ever made. My feet have NEVER been so happy when exercising.

(I still think they look SUPER big...but that's ok)
That is really the best plan. If you have low pronation you dont NEED the stability of a cross trainer but may need the support of a running shoe, or vice versa. If you can only do one shoe go to a REAL store with professionals.

I basically only buy running shoes and as pairs get too old for running (the cushioning breaks down) I demote them to "other cardio", then to "weights", then to "kicking around", then to "yard work". So I only buy one at a time.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

elisa - I would probably get running shoes for jogging and walking and cross trainers for everything else
Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #8  
Out there trying

Thanks for all the great information and tips!!

I do rotate and "demote" my shoes too. I love my New Balance walking shoes too but still want to go somewhere where they sell all brands so I can get what works best for me, which may still be New Balance!

The other thing is the store that I love is a running store so I don't even know if they have cross trainers (for my next pair...right now the focus/budget is running shoes). I think there must be a specialty sports store with good people who actually know what they're talking about, and doesn't just focus on running, but I'm not sure. Anyway, for now I'm sticking with the running shoes from the running store and go from there!

Thanks again so much everyone.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #9  

Quote:
I think there must be a specialty sports store with good people who actually know what they're talking about, and doesn't just focus on running, but I'm not sure.
In a city the size of Toronto, there must be. When it's time, maybe check your yellow pages/telephone directory or search online.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

most running stores sell more than just running shoes, but I would pick a store that sells more than one brand.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #11  
Out there trying

Yes, I agree that in Toronto, there must be plenty of places that can help. I got great service and great shoes at Running Room (and not even too pricey) so I'm going back there. I have heard of a couple of other places to go (Sporting Life) but for now since it's really running shoes I need, I'll go back to The Running Room. I've got one old screwed up ankle and I need good support.

Anyone care to really explain why the walking shoes are so bad for running? They haven't bothered me yet but I'm sure that's because, as a new runner (and really more of a jogger ) I'm not going very far or very fast...yet!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

elisa, they just don't have the impact cushioning that a running shoe does. The stress you put on your arches, ankles etc running is WAY higher than when walking. Running in walking shoes is a fast track to shin splints, plantar faciitis, etc. Also pronation tends to be more of an issue running than walking, if you pronate running and dont have motion control shoes you can hurt your knees.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #13  
Recovering Shopaholic

S/C/G: See tickers for latest!

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the great information guys ... I am going to pick up a pair of cross-trainers for my Turbo Jam, and I have other (newer) running sneakers that I bought only for looks to wear when NOT exercising (Nike Shox) but I think I will transfer those to treadmill use.

Have fun shoe shopping too Elisa!
HandbagAficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #14  
Out there trying

Okay, I admit it, I'm scared now about running in my walking shoes. Thankfully, I've never had huge issues before with any aerobics or other exercising and my feet but if I'm really going to keep running, I need to be smart. I promise to go out and buy myself some good shoes, maybe even this weekend!

My feet, ankles and shins thank you.

And I love your name HandbagAficionado. I think we could have a whole separate conversation about the number of bags in my closet!! Good luck to you too.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #15  
Out there trying

Okay, went shopping, spent a bit more than I wanted to and got these shoes. http://www.brooksrunning.com/prod.php?p=BSI42154

I went to the running room and they analyzed my gait, gave me three pairs to try from three different manufacturers, and I ended up with this pair. Two out of the three felt really good so I had a hard time deciding but I think I did okay! I wish I paid the price showing on their website but no such luck.

What's interesting is that when I went to Brooks website, just for fun I tried their questionnaire to find the right show for you and the one I got was one of two that the site also recommended.

Anyway, can't wait to try them out and I hope they go as smoothly as the walking shoes I got from the same store last year.