Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Has anyone tried the Cocoavia Bars?

I'm going on a two week trip, and thought I'd bring along some snack bars that aren't too bad for you in case the munchies strike in the hotel, etc. The Cocoavia bars are 80 calories each, and have dark chocolate with the flavenoids retained, so I thought they might be a good choice, but I've never tried them before, and thought I'd see if anyone here has a comment, positive or negative, about them. Thanks!
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #2  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I had a free sample - it's good. But then I saw the price tag (about $1 per mini-bar) and it's not worth it unless you find some on sale at about half off. At that price I can get much better tasting, and still healthful, dark chocolate. I think there's another thread on 3FC about favorite brands of Dark Chocolate --- don't believe CocoaVia was mentioned at all.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Yeah, it's pretty pricey -- and if I'd buy a box of them, I'd eat all six of them at once, so I usually only buy them if they offer them singularly, which is rare, so I opt for Endangered Species or some other organic brand that sells relatively small squares (still expensive though). But Cocoa Via's dark chocolate covered almonds are VERY good -- I would buy those over the bars -- if you are a nut fun. If you are shopping around for good dark chocolate because of the benefits of the flavonoids, make sure to get the highest % cacao (and I also look for the lower sugar ones as well).
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

I think the CocoaVia are EXCELLENT. They are made by the same manufacturer that makes Dove chocolates, and have the same smoothness to the chocolate. They are pricey. However... even though dark chocolate has health benefits, I would not recommend it as the thing to pack for a snack. I try something without sugar, high in fiber, and ideally containing some protein. That will do much better to ward off hunger and fuel you with great nutrients. How about dried fruit, some nuts, protein bars, packets of oatmeal (to mix with hot water), or even fresh fruit? Unless I'm already full from a meal, a CocoaVia bar or any chocolate would just leave me hungry for more.
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Thanks everyone for your responses! I didn't know the Dove folks made these as well. I should have mentioned this is an international trip so I will be going through customs, which makes bringing any sort of fruit or nuts a bad idea. But protein bars are probably a good call.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Have fun on your trip!
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:32 AM   #7  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

have fun on your trip -- and you may not need to pack anything at all! I'm sure there are some flavorful and healthful snacks aboard that you'll absolutely love and can't wait to share (and locate) on 3FC upon your return
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #8  

I love cocovia bars for a treat. Another good "car snack" are Eat Well Be Well cereal bars. The pb chocolate chip bar is pretty good, although it takes a while to get used to the taste. They're diabetic-friendly (sugarfree) and all whole grain. I get them at www.netrition.com.
ChadsMate is offline   Reply With Quote