Old 01-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #1  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Default Need some help with using salt

So I have been trying to avoid regular table salt and using more sea salt and kosher salt. I realized 1) I "heard" table salt is "bad....why is that?

2) What makes kosher salt or sea salt better? and which of the two is the best or are they pretty equal?

I am limiting how much salt I use, but not ready to give it up entirely.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #2  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

I did not realize that Kosher salt or sea salts wwere any better than table salt. I was under the impression that they gave more flavor for cooking. Interesting. I use the no salt brand of salt or low sodium Morton's salt. Tastes like salt to me
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

They all suck.

You want to watch your sodium intake, doesn't matter what kind of salt you use. I think the main difference between table salt & sea or kosher salt is the iodine.

Sodium makes you bloated, and is in every kind of processed food you can name. It also raises your blood pressure.

Take it off the table as soon as you can. Taste things before salting them. Cook canned veggies in plain water instead of the brine they are canned in.

No Salt & low sodium salt may have added potassium, and people with high blood pressure need to watch that.

Good luck to you.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #4  
So happy to be me :)

Height: 5' 7"

My Dad was diagnosed with high blood pressure several years ago. Now, they only cook with the "no-salt" brand salt in their house. You really have to search for the real salt in their house.

That, with medication, have gotten his blood pressure to a manageable level. Keep in mind, he is at most slightly overweight and exercises regularly.

HTH
NewDay4MeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #5  
Senior Member by the Sea

S/C/G: 275/175

Height: 5'6"

This is only what I heard but my understanding is that kosher and sea salt taste 'saltier', so you end up using less than you would table salt.

I've been sodium restricted for over a year, due to high blood pressure. At first everything tasted bland, but now processed food or salt added to anything tastes incredibly salty to me. Took several months to get to that point, though.

SuchAPrettyFace is right: salt sucks.
Farseashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #6  

I guess I am really clueless to all of this.. I never watch my sodium..
I lost weight just fine without watching it and never drank water either...
But I can not help but wonder how much better the weight might have came off if I had of keep up with it..
I love Salt.. but I guess I might need to watch it a bit more..
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #7  
Intuituve Eater

Cool thanks for the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseashore View Post
This is only what I heard but my understanding is that kosher and sea salt taste 'saltier', so you end up using less than you would table salt.

I've been sodium restricted for over a year, due to high blood pressure. At first everything tasted bland, but now processed food or salt added to anything tastes incredibly salty to me. Took several months to get to that point, though.

SuchAPrettyFace is right: salt sucks.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #8  
Intuituve Eater

I wouldn't say I am trying to watch my salt. More like I am just all around trying to make better eating choices. I happened to watch a cooking show and he cooks with kosher salt generally. I only add salt to foods I am cooking. I never add to already cooked foods and I rarely use it I'm out.

I think everyone in my family older than me has some kinda of heart/blood pressure issue so also concious(sp?) of that. Also we eat alot of southern food which seems to invlove soaking vegetable in animal fat. I've only just allowed myself to just cook them and enjoy the actual taste of the vegetables. I think my biggest vice is ketchup, but even that I use rarely now.

Anyway, thanks all for the help.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #9  

There are around 2400 milligrams of sodium in one teaspoon of table salt. That's a lot of salt--pour it out and measure it to see. The amount of sodium you get from a sprinkle of salt at the table or during cooking is nowhere near the the amount of sodium from processed and canned foods, which can have up to 2000 milligrams of sodium per serving.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Here's a link that explains the difference:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_c...696168,00.html

I don't watch my salt intake at all because I have low blood pressure. While that might catch up with me in the future, for now, sodium isn't a problem. I do, however, notice water retention when I use soy sauce or eat restaurant food, which seems to contain more sodium.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #11  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchs2007 View Post
I guess I am really clueless to all of this.. I never watch my sodium..
I lost weight just fine without watching it and never drank water either...
But I can not help but wonder how much better the weight might have came off if I had of keep up with it..
I love Salt.. but I guess I might need to watch it a bit more..
Salt doesn't influence how fast you lose weight, but it can temporarily bloat you if you eat a lot of it, which can throw off the scale. But that's water gain, not fat.

All in all though, a lot of salt is not good for us. I stay away from all canned soups, V8 juice, etc. because of the super high salt content. The worst I ever saw, though, was a 12 oz. can of bloody mary mix on a plane-- 1 can had 2100 mg of sodium. 2400 is the Daily Value listed on food labels, but that is about 1000 mgs than many experts suggest. A teaspoon of salt has 2300 mgs of sodium.

I use Kosher salt in cooking, because I think it tastes better. But I try not to use much.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

I have low blood pressure and low sodium/potassium levels. My doctor actively asks me to get more salt in my diet lol. So, I don't limit my salt but I don't pour it on either. My understanding is that Kosher/Sea Salt use less and taste more strongly but yes, sodium is sodium.
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #13  

Sea salt and kosher salt have bigger grains/pieces than table salt. So a measure (let's say a teaspoon) of sea salt will have less sodium and less saltiness than table salt, but that's because there's actually less sea salt there (bigger pieces, so there's more wasted space in the teaspoon), not because of any properties of the sea salt itself.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #14  
Intuituve Eater

Thanks, helped explain alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Sea salt and kosher salt have bigger grains/pieces than table salt. So a measure (let's say a teaspoon) of sea salt will have less sodium and less saltiness than table salt, but that's because there's actually less sea salt there (bigger pieces, so there's more wasted space in the teaspoon), not because of any properties of the sea salt itself.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #15  
Intuituve Eater

Thanks the link helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
Here's a link that explains the difference:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_c...696168,00.html

I don't watch my salt intake at all because I have low blood pressure. While that might catch up with me in the future, for now, sodium isn't a problem. I do, however, notice water retention when I use soy sauce or eat restaurant food, which seems to contain more sodium.