General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Talking First Job Interview!

OMG I finally got my first job interview tomorrow. I hope everything goes alright, I really need a job. And it's for the night shift and that's awsome, (Being a night person and all). I'm so nervious though. I don't want to mess the interview up. And I know I'm most likely going to ask like a dozen questions @_@
Funny I use to be scared at the idea of getting a job. lol.
Being the newbie and such, but now I figure it isn't so bad. And asking questions is good right? lol.

What do I wear to a job interview? @_@
Old 01-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Wear business attire like a nice suit or if you don't have that, fairly dressy slacks or a skirt and a nice blouse. Do not wear anything revealing or too tight or too casual. You didn't mention what kind of business it is, so it's hard to narrow down the clothes more than that.

Be ready to answer anything they ask, but then you should be prepared to ask some questions like
what is a typical shift like?
what are your expectations from your employees?
what are the chances of advancement within the company? do many of your employees strive for these opportunities?

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Wear business attire like a nice suit or if you don't have that, fairly dressy slacks or a skirt and a nice blouse. Do not wear anything revealing or too tight or too casual. You didn't mention what kind of business it is, so it's hard to narrow down the clothes more than that.
I didn't know Hooter's required something like that for the night shift.

Just kidding!

The attire mentioned is perfect. Also, try and wear something that won't get too wrinkled by your seatbelt.

Asking questions is great! Just stay away from things like benefits until you're further into the interview process. Be sure and emphasize that you are a night person and the night shift would suit you perfectly.

What type of job is this?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Go to about.com and search for interview tips. It really helps to read some of the common interview questions and have answers prepared. Be sure to have some quesitons ready to ask the employer. Do not ask about benefits or pay during the first interview unless the employer brings them up.

A suit and button up shirt is best for an interview. A nice appearance really makes a difference. I suggest wearing your hair back in a sleek, low ponytail if it is long. Wear minimal makeup and no perfume.

Basically, you are selling yourself. They may have many applicants and you need to show them why they should hire you. Try to find out as much info as possible about the company. You can usually find out by searching the internet.

And, relax! It's no big deal. Take your time answering the questions. It's ok to pause for a moment to think about the question. Speak slowly, and be confident. Make sure to shake the person's hand when you meet them, and after the interview is over. Express interest in the job at the end of the interview. Something to the effect of: I think I'd be a great fit a X company and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Also, it's a great idea to send a thank you card to the interviewer. Keep it short and sweet. Thank the person for thier time and express interest in the job.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #5  

Be confident. Emphasize your strengths in a modest but confident way! If theres a question you dont know and they ask you about it.. just say that although you do not know that yet, you are eager to learn new things.

Also most employers want to see how well you can mingle with your team members and no employers want snobby, reserved people. So tell them that you can mix well with others and belive in friendly office environment!

Be assertive but not talkative! You can pause for just 10 seconds after any question they ask before answering it!

You'll do just fine! Goodluck!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #6  
Less is more.

Woot! I got the job!
The interview wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I waited longer than the interview lasted. >_<.
Anyways, I'm so happy now ^_^ I can't wait for my first day.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Congratulations!!!!

So you never told us. What are you going to be doing?

This is wonderful news. Your year is starting out nicely!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:46 AM   #8  
Less is more.

Oh yeah lol It's just a overnight job at wal-mart. (other than the mine, wal-mart is the best place to get a job round here)
Old 01-11-2007, 01:55 AM   #9  
So happy to be me :)

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Sakai

Congratulations on your job! Here is what I have discovered through my jobs in the past- make the most of every opportunity! If walmart is one of the better employers in your area, then consider opportunities to move up. I believe they have a 3-month trial period for employees. After that, look toward moving up into management! Have confidence in yourself and you can achieve great things!

Good luck!
Closed Thread