Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default Bad, bad test results, I'm stunned and confused.

I am really, really upset right now. I had a check up with my internist yesterday. My last check up was mid September 2006, about 2 weeks into my lifestyle change. My weight was about 278 at the time. In Sept. I had full blood work done and my cholesterol level was 203. In May of 06' it was 205. Two years before that about 205. So for years now my cholesterol was in the low 2's. And I had a good ratio of bad to good cholesterol. My phone just rang and it's the dr. She got back yesterday's blood work and as of yesterday, weighing in at 208 lbs, 70 lbs lighter then last time and my cholesterol came in at a whopping 388!!!! It makes no sense whatsoever. I eat only skim milk, fat free yogurt, white meat chicken and veggies. So what gives? She said I should come in again next week and they'll retake it. That perhaps the lab made a mistake, but that is doubtful. She says if we get the same results she'll have to put me on medication.

Oh and did I mention that back in Sept 06, my blood pressure was high at 150 over 90, for the very first time after having years and years of 120 over 70. And yup, yesterday it was even higher, 155 over 95. Also makes no sense. So she put me on medication for the blood pressure.

I just can't believe I am finally trying to get healthy by losing this weight and now for the first time my health is really in jeopardy. Instead of getting healthier I am actually less healthy. Instead of being on no medications I will be on 2. I am perplexed and worried and miserable. I can't believe this is happening.

Has anyone ever heard of anything at all even remotely like this?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi this happened to me at my last dr's appoitment last year mine was 206 this year after 20 pounds and excerise It was 268, I was in tears. Though after some thought I had hurt my back and have done iv, oral and epidural steriods and I looked on the internet and they can rise it, so I have to have it repeated in 3 months which will be the end of this month so i am hoping it is lower. Were you on any meds that could have done this because the 70lbs should have definately lowered yours?
l&dnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #3  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm no medic but the new results can't be related to your weight loss unless you're on an unhealthy fad diet. Keep going with your plan and the Drs will sort it out
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Robin, I'm not a medical expert, so I don't have any real pragmatic advice to give about your specific test results, but I have to believe that all the hard work you've done in changing your lifestyle is good for your overall health. I know it must be incredibly discouraging, but stay strong. Sending you a virtual hug
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #5  
Here I go...AGAIN!

S/C/G: 378/355/190

Height: 5'10"

Sorry to hear about this. I can say that your blood pressure was probably up due to nerves. Do you take your blood pressure at home or at one of those monitors in the pharmacy? Sometimes when people are upset it gets really high. My blood pressure gets very high when I'm nervous or worked up. Also, blood pressure does go down when you lose weight, but other factors play into it as well. As for your cholesterol, its possible that the effects of your being 75 pounds heaver could still be there, and maybe they just didn't show up yet when you went to the doctor that first time. Who knows? All you can do is keep doing what you're doing and eating right and things will turn around.
meganL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #6  

Did you fast before going to the doc, when they do my cholesterol they always tell me to fast (I think for 12 hours) before they take the blood.
redsoxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

Yes, had fasted. And I'm on no meds. And like I said my cholesterol was fine for years, forever in fact. Even the doctor said she's never, ever heard of anything like this. My mother and sister both have high cholesterol and I never have. I'm just wondering if the weightloss triggered some kind of hereditary thing. I know, I'm stretching. I'm a bit freaked out.

Thank you all for responding and for your kind thoughts. For now, I just have to pray that next weeks results will be different, though I'm certainly not counting on it. Still can't believe this is happening. I was trying to improve my life, not screw it up.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #8  
Meg

Robin, you ARE improving your life! Can you imagine what your health would be like if you still weighed 278 pounds and had this result? You'd be in bad, bad shape and not have a clue what to do to fix it.

I simply cannot believe that your weight loss CAUSED this to happen ... instead, it must have been going to happen anyway, weight loss or not. Family history, right?

Please don't let this derail you! I know from reading your posts that you're a strong, sensible, and determined woman. OK, so if it was going to happen anyway, you've given yourself a huge head start on managing your blood pressure and cholesterol with your new healthy life style. It's really a gift you've given yourself over the past months!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #9  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

There is no way that lowering your weight has been bad for you. If high cholesterol runs in your family, it's entirely possible that this would have happened at this age ANYWAY, and your overall health would have been far worse if you were still at your highest weight.

PLEASE don't give up. Even if you have to go on medication, you are making yourself stronger and giving yourself a better chance at a long and healthier life with every pound you drop. You are one of the people here whom I most admire; I look forward to your posts and have loved witnessing your progress!
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #10  
Meg

What she said!!

(gee Callystia, it's not like we think alike or anything ... )
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #11  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

*giggles*
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #12  
On Hold until 8/07!

S/C/G: 200/160/135

Height: 5'4"

I haven't had my cholesterol tested in the last few years, but I've had blood pressure troubles for a while now, and I was really looking forward to watching it drop as I lost weight. After forty pounds, I was on an extra med and looking at maybe adding another...it was worse than it had ever been. Why? As far as I can tell, my body has a sense of humor. Not a very good one, though.

Do you get enough sleep? That was the one factor we came up with when we were trying to figure out what might be causing the higher bps. My doc said that'll goof your bp up for sure.

Hang in there. I'm hoping for a lab error for you. From reading your posts, I have no doubt that you can meet any challenge with grace, but I'm hoping you won't have a challenge to meet.
swultragirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

Thanks meg and cally and swultragirl.

It just doesn't make sense how now that I've started losing the weight, that all of a sudden my cholesterol would sky rocket. I mean really, really sky rocket. And is there no way to figure out where it's coming from? My Dr. doesn't even want to investigate as to the cause. Just retest, which I'm fairly certain will not change anything and then medicate. She herself said, she's never, ever heard of anything like this. To jump from 203 to 388 in 4 months even WITH a large weight gain is unheard of. And I've had a large weight LOSS.

My mother has high cholesterol, but that's only in recent years since she gained over 50 lbs. So I'm pretty sure her high cholesterol is weight related.

I certainly won't let this derail me, but I gotta tell you my number one reason for doing this was my health and I can't help but think I've stirred something up here. Something tells me I will never find the answers that I am looking for.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #14  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Hey sweetie I sent ya a pm and came in to give ya a
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #15  

It doesn't make sense -- that's why the doctor just wants to re-test. The likeliest explanation is that something went wrong with the test. It happens, and it happens quite a lot, so I'd just assume nothing's wrong until you hear otherwise.

The very best things you can do until then are to keep eating right (and stay low-fat), exercise (especially long walks), and take your mind off it so you stay relaxed. These things are just no-brainers, because they're no risk to you, and they're exactly what you should be doing whether or not there's a problem.

Regarding the blood pressure, make sure to ask them to use a large-size cuff. When you were larger, they probably had to. Now the normal-sized one may fit around your arm, but it'll give you an abnormally high reading. I consistently get a blood pressure of around 150/90 with normal cuffs and 118/80 with the large ones. I am not about to take medication for high blood pressure when they're not using the right size cuff!

Honestly, I think the test result was just wrong. But please do post back and let us know what you find out.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote