Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/195/155

Height: 5'7

Default I cant get up

I want so badly to get up early in the morning and do a workout and not have to rush around the house. I have 3 alarms right now and i just keep hitting snooze on all of them until im late and have to run around. I just cant seem to drag myself out of bed. Any ideas of what i can do to make myself get up early. I usually go to bed at a decent time so i shouldnt be that tired. Help me get up.
50lbstomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

How much earlier are you trying to get up? Maybe you could ease into it. Start by just setting the clock a few minutes early, and just do a few minutes of exercise. Over the next few weeks, set the clock earlier and earlier and do more exercise...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

You just don't sound like a morning person. It might be easier to schedule your workout for lunch or in the evening instead. I AM a morning person (NEVER need an alarm to wake up at 7am every morning), and even I don't feeling like doing a work out first thing. Though its true that the later it gets, the less likely it is that we'll do our workouts.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #4  

well i have to leave my house by 7:15 and i have two kids that i have to get ready. I set my alarm for 6:15 but i keep falling back asleep until i see that its already 7 and i jump out of bed and rush around getting us ready. I hate it.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mami View Post
You just don't sound like a morning person. It might be easier to schedule your workout for lunch or in the evening instead. I AM a morning person (NEVER need an alarm to wake up at 7am every morning), and even I don't feeling like doing a work out first thing. Though its true that the later it gets, the less likely it is that we'll do our workouts.
I am truly a morning person. I get so much done before I head out the door to work! I've already done my workout, fixed breakfasts and lunches, done some laundry and I still have half an hour before I have to leave. I absolutely HATE running around because we're going to be late. Sleeping in for me is getting up at 6:00 (my alarm is set for 4:40, but I always wake up before it goes off).

On the other hand, don't ask me to do anything after work. Sure, I fix dinner, but I hate running any errands or doing any work of any kind. Evenings are for relaxing!

So, you need to decide what kind of person you are and then decide when is the best time to exercise.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #6  
Aleecia

First off I agree with Wyllenn about just easing into it.
Also one thing I did was I moved my alarm clock across the room so that I would have to get out of bed to shut it off. I also lay my workout clothes right by the clock.
Believe me I know its not easy but once you do it more and more it becomes part of your routine. I too have to leave at 7:15 and deal with getting my 3 year old ready. She is so not a morning person either.
I have been getting up at 5:00am, 5 days a week for almost a year now. I found that this is the only me time I get. Just keep plugging away, you'll get there.

Best of luck to you.
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #7  

well i know that i am not a morning person, and i do work out in the evening. But i would really like to try to work out twice a day. And i hate the rushing around. I want to be more of a morning person but i dont know how.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel33 View Post
Also one thing I did was I moved my alarm clock across the room so that I would have to get out of bed to shut it off.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest--put your alarm AWAY from your bed so you have no choice but to get OUT of bed to turn it off.

I get up around 4:15am every weekday. I wouldn't call myself a "morning person" because I'm certainly not cheery or even completely coherent at that time, but I do it because I know I HAVE to. I don't know--something in my head just tells me that I don't have the option of just "snoozing" through the morning.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

WOW! 4:15? 5am? UGH! You ladies have heart!
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #10  
No description available.

Ditto Jill and Angel33. Move the clock. After that it comes down to self-discipline. I am sure that rushing is not fun for the kids either. Good luck.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #11  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I have trouble with morning right now 'cause it's winter (I tend to get up with the sun) ~ fortunately, my iHome (docker/speaker system for iPod) eases my way into wakefulness playing my favorite tunes--so I don't snooze/shut it off. I'm sure some CD boomboxes, which are cheaper, have that kind of option as well -- or just tune your radio alarm clock to your favorite station.

And it feels great starting the day knowing you've already done your exercise rather than worry about making time for it for the rest of the day (and if I feel like working out again in the afternoon, it'll be a bonus! )
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/166/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh, man. I'm still in college and have only two 9 am classes. Waking up at 8:00 is early for me is early. Waking up at 7:30 is unheard of. Although, on the flip side of that, I get a lot of my workouts in from 11:30pm-12:30am.

I've found that the more I snooze, the more tired I get. I am usually better off just getting out of bed the second my alarm rings. This is advice I rarely even take myself

Good luck and hang in there!
LittleElectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #13  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

S/C/G: 278/249/170

Height: 5'9"

Also a timed light works great. I bought an inexpensive timer for my bedroom lamps and they go on about 15 minutes before my alarm. It allows me to wake peacefully and to get motivated to get up (it definately helps in the winter!!!) I also have them timed to turn off when I should be leaving my room. Keeps me from putzing in the morning!!

Mari
Chestnutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hello! I'm with the ladies that say move the clock, but also, when you get up to turn it off, make your bed. I am not a morning person but I teach high school, and I get up at 5-5:20 to get started early in the mornings. Making the bed is such effort cause I have a lot of pillows and shams and a couple stuffed animals (and unmaking it means I have to do it all over again) that I don't want to undo it again. I tried getting up at 4:15 to work out (congrats to you for doing it jillybean) but i get migraines, and for whatever reason, that seemed to aggravate it. So now I go in the evenings after school. Its a pain, and sometimes I have to drag my butt there, but I always am glad later.

But yeah. Make the bed. Put clothes out so you can't miss them. See what works for you. Make the effort to try it straight for at least a week, no matter how grumpy or annoyed you get. Then maybe you'll be more likely to continue.

Good luck!
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #15  
kamby

S/C/G: 212/212/160

Height: 5'0"

Waking up is a bummer, ESPECIALLY on days you have to work
I hate having to wake up early but its just something I *KNOW* I have to do. So if your trying to get up early to get things done in the morning you just have to get in the right 'mindset' ! Goodluck! cuz, I'm definately NOT a morning person.
kamby is offline   Reply With Quote