Old 01-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #1  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Default Discouraged

Today was my first official weigh-in. I was so excited as this is the first time in quite a while that I've actually followed my plan and exercised for the whole week. I'm on phase 1 of Southbeach. Everybody usually loses 8-12 pounds the first two weeks. I lost .6 of a pound. I am so discouraged. I just sat on the bed and cried. My husband tried to comfort me, but he can't possibly understand. He doesnt even follow the plan exactly like I am..and he didnt even exercise this week, and the scales dropped 8 pounds for him. I'm not going to give up following the program and my walking, but my heart just isnt in it today. I'm sick and tired of being fat, but I just cant seem to get my body to work right. My doctor keeps telling me my thyroid levels are fine, but it just seems like something is not right. I have goiters, I've gone from 190 to 264 since Dec 04 without changing my eating, and the weight just doesnt come off like I think it should.

I just really could use some words of encouragement today. I cant seem to quit crying and I have so much work to get done today.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #2  

My hubby started dieting with me last year after I had been on it about 6 weeks..
He dropped weight so fast.. I was so jealous...
If you did a search on my post you would find where I posted about me being jealous about it...
I just looked ahead and took baby steps..

I do not know anything about Southbeach But what I would do is write down everything I ate.. See if I was getting to much of any one thing,,,,
and replace that food item with something different..
I maybe way off on this.. Southbeach is something I have never tried.. But DO NOT LET YOUR SELF GET DOWN..
If you are eating less and moving your body.. The weight will come off..

Its a life change... Its takes baby steps... You can do this.... It takes time to find out what works for you.....
Keep your head up!!!!!!
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Rhonda - I'm so sorry! I know how disappointing it is when you're expecting a big loss (when you do everything right) and the scale just doesn't cooperate. It's unbelievably frustrating. I hear you on the husband thing too, mine can drop 5 lbs just thinking about it, I swear. I don't know a lot about South Beach either - but I have heard good things about it. Keep it up, keep exercising, keep posting, you will see results!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #4  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

In the beginning you might want to find an alternate way to measure your progress or pick a goal that you can find progress in. To keep me on track walking I decided to walk 100 miles in 120 days. I am on my second set of 100 miles and I am trying to do it 90 days.

Also you might want to join a challenge or set a goal of some many carbs or calories in a week or something. Something that you can track and be proud of your progress.

I also notice some people like to measure instead of using the scale since you can lose inches when the scale isn't moving.

I think it is hard sometimes to keep going when you see little progress, but even that .6 lb IS progress and shows you are moving in the right direction.

Something else I learned is everyone weight loss is different. Celebrate that you stuck to your "guns" and it will be ok.

Off the soapbox.

-Obie
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!!!!! The only meal that's changed for my husband is the one he eats at home, that's the dinner that I cook for him and he's lost over 20 lbs. So don't compare yourself to hubby.

When I first started this I had a 1 lb weight loss for the week. I was sooo bummed out. But I stuck with it and the following week had a 9 lb. loss. Sometimes it takes the body a while to adjust to the new way of life. It's kinda in shock. Doesn't quite know what to do. Get 2, 3 weeks under your belt and you will definitely, definitely see results. And you will be on your way to a happier and healthier life. And it will be so worth it. You just gotta hang in there. You absolutely must!!!!! We're here for you, no matter what you need. We'll get you through this.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #6  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Rhonda!

Guys have more muscle mass. They can drop weight much easier than we can and really fast, too! Don't worry! There are a whole bunch of us here who are right there with you watching our husbands decide to lose weight and have the pounds and inches disappear from them but not US!

Try doing some weights. When I began lifting using three then five pound weights I began to see some nice results. Weight training will help you, too! I am back now with more reps to try to break through this plateau that has been plaguing me for EIGHT MONTHS!!!!

Increase your fiber, and drink more water. Both will help the body get rid of excess fat.

Above all, be PATIENT! DO NOT try to go one-for-one with your husband's weight loss! THAT can be a losing battle!

Keep coming back and reading the posts here. We are all right there with your on this!

Be confident!!!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

The problem with weight loss programs is that we focus on the scale as a measure of progress and it's not a great measure.

You want to lose fat, right? Yet that scale measures fat, bone, muscle and water. Is it possible you're retaining a lot of water? Have a lot of sodium? TOM?? The scale may not measure the progress you HAVE made.

Second, weight loss isn't always linear and doesn't work the same way for all people. Sometimes we lose gradually, other times it seems to "whoosh" away.

Bottom line, if you think this program is going to work for you, don't quit after one week, because it's still very possible it WILL work. One week is not a lot of time on which to evaluate a program.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Here is a big {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} because I know that is a huge deal for some of us. We just can't get what that little square box says to us out of our minds. You LOST weight though - over 1/2 of a poound and that is going in the right direction!!! Keep on with your program, and do not be a slave to that scale. Drink your water, exercise and keep it up - and it will all be worth it ~ because YOU ARE WORTH IT. Now, dry those tears, and hang in there.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Hi Everyone. I knew I could count on you guys! Thank you so much for your encouragement. It was and is badly needed. Rockinrobin, I cant believe you had the same experience and look how much you've lost now. That gives me hope. I just got back from my 40 minute walk and I'm staying on my eating plan. I am proud of myself for that because, in the past, I would have already thrown in the towel.

I called my pharmacist and asked for names of physicians in the area that can work with me on determining if my thyroid is off and can also work with my bio-identical hormone therapy. I want a doctor who will work with me and will help me with my whole body, not just the female parts, and is willing to treat with alternatives to medication. Currently, I see a OB/GYN for my female hormone therapy, however, he doesnt do much with the thyroid...he told me I have adrenal fatigue, but I'm not really sure about this diagnosis. My family doctor keeps telling me my hormone levels are ok. However, I've been doing some research and, apparently, she doesnt do all of the tests...only the TSH. I've had goiters for over 6 years, I have sarcoidosis on my skin and lungs and I had multiple fibroids on my uterus.....its hard to imagine that something is not off in my body. The pharmacist gave me a name of a physician that uses integrative medicine....this is a combination of conventional medicine and holistic therapy...and the physician is on my insurance! I called and they had a cancellation for this Wednesday afternoon.

Even if this physician tells me my thyroid is fine and there is no medical reason why the weight is coming off soooooo slowly, I'm still gonna stick with it. Today was my sixth workout and I can already tell a big difference in my stamina. My shins didnt hurt at all today and the muscles in my thighs and butt werent burning! Thanks again everyone. You are the reason why I sign onto 3FC each day.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

You should be extremely proud of yourself for kicking off your new healthy lifestyle! DH's ARE most annoying! Mine is 6'3" and eats about 1/2 what I eat ON A DIET (hence he is naturally thin)!

My mom lost a lot of weight on SB. A lot of us track our calorie intake on fitday.com. That may help you stay focused and enable you to tweak things if the scale isn't going down. I dont know what you can eat on your plan, but to me, bottom line is number of calories eaten.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Quote:
I'm still gonna stick with it.
That's the ticket!!!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

WTG on finding other ways to measure your progress!!!

Good luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

After reading your OP I immediately thought that you needed to get a second opinion, and make sure to get the full thyroid panel done and not just the TSH. Sounds like you're on the ball!
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #14  
Doing it!

S/C/G: 268.5/254.5/160

Height: 5'10"

I'm proud to see that you said you were going to stick to it Good for you for losing .6 of a pound, that's great! Also remember that you've been exercising - you're gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. You're doing a great job!
108tolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #15  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

S/C/G: 278/249/170

Height: 5'9"

I did south beach for a while last summer. Phase one can be hard on your body. I found that the first week I was bloated and "stuck" I lost very little weight. However about 2 weeks later my body adjusted and things "moved" properly. I did lose a lot more weight. sometimes it just takes time.

Mari
Chestnutlass is offline   Reply With Quote