Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Question Rewards for your mini-goals

What should I do as rewards for myself when I reach my mini-goals?

I don't like to do girly things...like getting nails done, hair done, new clothes, new shoes, etc.

So I'm kind of lost of what to do.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I definitely did girly things, my rewards were:

180 - cute new pair of sandals I wanted (that were expensive)
170 - massage
160 - new clothes
150 - fancy cut/color at a pricey salon
140 - massage

What do you like that you rarely treat yourself to? Concert tickets? Trips? A super cool smart phone? Hire maid service to clean your house from top to bottom as a treat?

If you lose a lot of weight, clothes do make sense as a reward - it's tough to replace an entire wardrobe - I replaced everything but socks.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #3  

Well, for clothes, I'm pretty much in stock cause I saved all the clothes from when I was 160. When I get down to 140 and 130 I'll be getting new clothes again, so clothes as a reward will have to wait.

I'm thinking that for the first few small goals (10, 20, 30...) I should just ask my boyfriend for a long call on a weekday. -=snickers=-

Maybe for the larger weights ask my dad to buy me a new book or video game, etc.

Or maybe on one day buy a small (not TOO high calorie) dessert and eat that along with my diet day. It'll be a treat that I won't have to work off or feel bad about (as long as it doesn't get me off track).

I am just looking around for what other people do too.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I would not recommend rewarding yourself for weight loss success with food. Personally, I worked very hard to change my outlook regarding food as a reward in general, but it also seems extremely counterproductive.

Instead of a dessert, maybe you could buy some sort of exotic, expensive fruit you've never tried - like dragonfruit. Or a cookbook of healthy recipes.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

What about books, CDs, magazines, something for your apartment/house, a new video game, supplies for a hobby, etc? You must have interests or a wish list of things that you want. Reward yourself with something off your wish list.

I don't really reward myself for mini-goals. The rewards just aren't that motivational for me. I do plan to reward myself for some big goals--when I get to one year of maintenance I am going to splurge on a leather coat and when I get to two years of maintenance, I'm going to splurge on a convertible, but honestly, even these rewards aren't that motivational for me. It's more of an excuse to give myself something I've wanted for a long time.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #6  
So happy to be me :)

Height: 5' 7"

I had thought rewards for mini-goals were going to be important to me, but it turns out they aren't as important as I had thought. I, too, just sort of use them as an excuse to get things that I have been wanting.

But, in the past I have gotten new exercise videos, made my boyfriend take me out to movies, just gone window shopping, "splurged" on wasting lots of time on the internet doing something I enjoy, like looking at houses.
NewDay4MeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #7  
Tryin'

Height: 5'3

i have to agree that mini goal rewards aren't that important to me either. although nice to get things i might need, like clothes...but i hate all that stuff too.

Its nice to do things that you haven't done before (or in a long time) because of the weight. use your mini goal as an excuse to get out there and try new things. i went ice skating recently. haven't done that in ages!!!

one time, because i had so much more energy, i went out and volunteered my time (to something other than i normally volunteer for) and that just added to my good feeling!...fantastic.

good luck!
train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #8  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

When I started I wasn't sure what to do about mini goals, so I sort of put it on the back burner for a while. Over the last five months I've found that nothing I could treat myself to was as fabulous as the compliments I've gotten from others along the way. Now I look at those as my reward! As far as purchasing something, however, I have started going and getting a new pair of jeans, one size too small, every time I reach a new pants size. The jeans I like are the ones like Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and Polo, so it's an incentive for me to get into them. I'm in my 14's now, and have been shopping all day for the 12's in any of those three brands and couldn't find them in the style I gravitate towards....hmmmm....maybe I'll have to shop again tomorrow! LOL!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #9  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I definitely reward myself - I agree that nothing can beat the compliments you get and how much better you feel when you lose some weight, but I think it's nice to treat yourself, too. My favourite reward is to take some time for myself - I have a really hard time relaxing. I always feel like there's something I should be doing. So whne I feel like I've been working really hard, and made some progress, I give myself a few hours and either go for a walk, or sit down with a cup of tea and a new book. I feel so much better after, and definitely ready to tackle my next goal.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #10  

For me, just seeing the lower numbers on the scale and being smaller was plenty of rewards in itself. If you can't think of things to reward yourself with, then consider the benefits of the process and ask if you really need any extra ones at all.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #11  

I only ask because this time I'm doing it all over again. I was only wondering if the rewards keep you motivated. I seem to run out of the motivation at times. And I figured the reward would make me less antsy to see where I was, 160.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

its very personal, rewards work for some, they dont work for others.

This is a bit embarrassing, but far more than any "reward" item getting to go in the mini-goal section and mini-brag is a pretty good motivator
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

You're a Zelda fan aren't you?? Did you get twilight princess yet? I suggest you get a piggy bank and every time you get to a mini goal, add a sum of money to the bank. eventually you can save up enough to get the new wii & zelda game, just a suggestion
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #14  

XD I am going to buy myself that whenever it is EASILY available. But I think I know what I'll do for rewards. I asked me dad about getting me a book or video game each 10 pounds (probably starting after 30 pounds lost).
Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #15  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't care for the "girly" things, either, so I pass on things like manicures, massages, getting my hair done, etc. I don't really reward myself with anything--we're saving up money to buy a home in the fall, so spending any money on something I don't really need is very counter-productive to my other goals in life.

Oh, and my boyfriend will be getting a Wii as soon as he can find one, too. He has $100 in gift cards from Christmas to EB/GameStop, so he has to wait for them to get them in stock. We live together, so when he gets a Wii, I get a Wii And for Christmas, he got me a collection of 4 Zelda games on one disc for GameCube, so I'd better hurry up and beat those so we can play the Wii!

So yeah, my reward is just like others have mentioned--seeing the lower numbers and whatnot. Everyone needa a little fun in life whether you're losing weight or not, so I don't wait for certain scale milestones before I treat myself to things I want.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote