Old 01-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 304/289/160

Height: 5'5"

Default I'm Back

So I was on this about a year ago and was going strong with doing a plan through Lindora. Then I got bored with that and got a new job that requires me to sit on my butt all day long. The 25 pounds I had lost has now come back and I've added about 5 more. I'm the heaviest I have ever been and it is making me so sad. I was at dinner with my best friend the other night and he was like we can't do this anymore (meaning going out to dinner everynight). In my head I was like oh it's not that big of a deal, I decided to jump on the scale and WOW!!! I was in for the shock of a lifetime. So since tomorrow is my 28th birthday and I'm tired of looking and feeling like this, I'm turning over that new leaf, like I've said a million times before, this time though I think I finally am ready. When the new year hit, I had this feeling that this year was going to be a big year, and I don't want it to just be my size. So there is my small introduction of where I have been. Here is where I need the advice:

I work about 60 hours a week at the moment and am basically chained to my chair in front of a computer, I forget to take my breaks and do the 15 minute working lunch. I'm hoping that the project is almost at an end but I'm not sure, I actually have to go to work today (not the thing I really want to do on my birthday). Any of you wonderful ladies have any suggestions of how to get myself more active during the day, that doesn't require me to be away from desk to long. I probably should just force myself to do it but that doesn't always happen.

Second, I don't want to go back on Lindora because it was a plan that was probably a little to strict in the requirements of eating. With work being like it is, I barely have enough time to come home, take a shower and go to bed. I'm thinking about doing Weight Watchers online again. Anyone have any opinions on that one?

Ok now that I have written an entire novel. I'm sorry for rambling had to get it out and I remember how supportive you all have been before and would listen. Any advice and/or support is greatly appreciated.

Megan
citycowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #2  

Hey
Welcome back...
I really do not have any advice on how to get more active while working at a desk... I am sure someone here will give you some great suggestions on that.
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #3  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, Megan! That scale can sure be an eye opener, can't it?

I am a huge supporter of Weight Watchers. I think it is a very doable plan! Even if you and your friend are people who prefer to eat out, there are ways to deal with that. Pick up the Dining Out Companion from WW to help you make wise choices while in restaurants. If you have an Applebees near by, they even have an entire WW section on their menu! I love to eat there because I don't really even have to think about it!

Additional exercise at work is hard when you're chained to your desk and terminal. Some thoughts may be to take the stairs rather than the elevator. If you need to speak to someone in another department, walk over there rather than emailing or phoning. Stand up every 30 minutes and stretch a bit! Do some toe touches or squats for a minute or two! I don't know how effective it is, but my Grandpa used to have this little pedal thing (don't know how to describe it!) like a bicycle pedal that's on a stand. Very small and compact, he kept it under his desk and would pedal away while he was sitting there! I believe they're still available at Sports Authority (not positive, though), and I did see them on QVC the other night as I was flipping channels.

Hope these ideas help you out a bit, good luck!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #4  
Doing it!

S/C/G: 268.5/254.5/160

Height: 5'10"

Welcome! I have a job where I'm chained to the desk, as well. I have been trying to get away for 15 minutes at lunch to walk. It doesn't always happen, but I do my best. Park in the furthest space from the building in the mornings. Put your lunch and snacks in the refrigerator furthest from your desk. When you go to the rest room, pick one on the other side of the building. That's about the extent of my ideas.
108tolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #5  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Welcome back Megan! I'm currently just counting calories and exercising, but I think that WW's is one of the best programs out there - it teaches you how to eat in a way that can be done for the rest of your life and at the same time it gives you enough freedom to have those special treats. As far as exercise at work I basically do what everyone else has mentioned - I park far away from the building, I walk things to other departments as I need to (I used to hold on to things to make one trip) and of course, if you drink enough water you're going to have to make several additional trips to the restrooms each day! Here's some work exercises that I found on the web that you can incorporate in your day also:

Stretch. Stretching can relieve stress and make you feel better all over. You can stretch right in your desk chair, or close your office door and sit on the floor or use the wall. Why not start by getting out of your chair and touching your toes?

Yogacize. Web sites and books can show you yoga moves and poses to do at your desk or on the floor in your office. Instead of a snack or coffee break, take a yoga break!

Strength train. You can easily store soup cans, water bottles, a resistance band, or small hand weights in your desk or office and do a few sets between meetings or telephone calls.

Do some quick cardio. Squeeze in a few rounds of jump rope or 10 quick pushups or sit ups. You also can climb stairs during your workday and take brisk walks in or outside your building during lunch. Every little bit helps.

Lift and rotate. Try some simple leg lifts, even while you're on the phone or reading emails or memos. Keep one foot planted on the floor and raise the opposite leg several inches off the ground. Gently pulse the leg upward a few inches 10 or 20 times and repeat on the opposite leg. You also can rotate each foot around in small circles (in both directions). Do the same with your arms: hold your arms out straight on each side of your body and make small circles with your hands.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #6  

Welcome! I'm new (obviously) and wanted to say good luck! I am doing the ww program using old materials but I plan on joining the online ww program a week from Thursday, just waiting for my hubby to get paid again.

I'm glad you came back and it sounds like you are super motivated this time. I look forward to getting to know you better. I will be turning 28 in April.

Happy Birthday!!
melissalaurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Welcome! WW sounds like an excellent choice for you. You've gotten some great advice already and I have nothing new to add.
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #8  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome back, Megan. Looking forward to getting to know you.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote