Old 01-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 306/306/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Day 4

Hi gals...

Okay it's day 4 and I am beginning to waiver some. I am getting cranky and feeling "deprived" because I am not stuffing my face all day long. Any encouraging words??
hapkat430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #2  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

Hmm, I'll give it a shot.

Listen to your body! Why aren't you stuffing your face all day? If you're getting cranky and feeling deprived, maybe mini-meals will help, ie, eating something every two to three hours. You could also be simply eating too few calories.

Post a typical daily menu, if you can. I think it'll be a lot easier to help you out then.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 306/306/170

Default Here's today's menu

Hi Amy..

Here is todays goods!

Breakfast small bowl cereal ( cheerios )
1/2 banana

Lunch

Pita sandwich with tuna fish tomatoes and alfalfa sprouts
Apple

Snack
Apple

Dinner ( eating now )
Bowl salad
ww pasta with low fat sauce

Will have a snack at bedtime ( I am diabetic so I have to do that at bedtime to keep blood sugar from dropping too low)

Thanks for taking the time to care and to respond. Hope you are having a super day!!
hapkat430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Looks to me that you are not eating enough.

Maybe you should up your calories a bit with a few extra mini meals like Amy suggested. I would recommend that these meals have lots of protein in them as that tends to sasiate for longer and is healthier.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #5  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Amy and Charlotte - you need to eat more a few more calories and get in some protein (I don't know what a bowl salad consists of, but I'm assuming that it doesn't have a lot of protein). I'm hungry just looking at your menu today But if you feel comfortable with the number of calories you are eating at least add some low calorie foods like the 3C's (carrots, celery and cabbage) to your diet to help keep you from feeling hungry.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Like others, I don't see much protein. I also don't see any healthy fats, which help keep you fuller longer unless a "bowl salad" has a vinagrette dressing with olive oil and avocados on it.

If you add protein to each meal and snack, I'm betting you won't have that cranky feeling.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Get the book YOU on a Diet. It goes into great detail about WHY you should NOT ever be hungry - and it all makes sense when you read it. You need to eat more, and more often.....as the above have already stated. I have just done my first week on this lifestyle, and I can tell you - it is doable for the rest of my life (AND I lost 6 pounds too!)
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #8  
Doing it!

S/C/G: 268.5/254.5/160

Height: 5'10"

I agree with everyone else.

As for encouraging words - you can do it! You've made it through 4 days now - that's over half the week. It only gets easier.
108tolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #9  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Also, don't look at it as days.....but as changes that you are making for life, for your life.
Gosh, if I counted by the days I would literally have totally given up and have been in a constant state of overwhelmed--ness. I would be on like day 845 now. That is crazy talk.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #10  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I'm with those suggesting more healthy fats and protein! That'll keep you fuller longer. You can add a small handful of nuts (like a few walnuts, 12 or so almonds, etc.), or a piece of string cheese, or some lowfat dairy like yogurt or a glass of milk, or an egg. Those are all staples in my diet that I sprinkle in throughout the day and I'm never hungry.

And I also agree with the suggestion to read the "You on a Diet" book (I'm sure people are thinking, jeez, is she getting a cut of the publisher's earnings?! I'm not, I promise, it was just the first time I read some of those things where there was a believeable "why" behind everything they were suggesting. It was my "lightbulb" moment. I think everybody, thin or fat could benefit from the info in there).

You're doing so well! And we've all been taught that losing weight is a struggle and is like pennance for a lifetime of bad eating habits, but the fantastic secret is that it doesn't have to be so hard! It is completely possible to be losing weight at a good clip and not be making it so hard on yourself. Kudos to you for making it 4 days on so little food, but you don't have to do that and shouldn't. Anyone would want to quit on so little.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 01-05-2007 at 10:06 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #11  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapkat430 View Post
Here is todays goods!

Breakfast small bowl cereal ( cheerios )
1/2 banana

Lunch

Pita sandwich with tuna fish tomatoes and alfalfa sprouts
Apple

Snack
Apple

Dinner ( eating now )
Bowl salad
ww pasta with low fat sauce

Will have a snack at bedtime ( I am diabetic so I have to do that at bedtime to keep blood sugar from dropping too low)
That looks like what you'd expect a diet menu to look like, doesn't it? So please, hapkat, don't worry at all over having chosen it, because it seems like it makes perfect sense.

Only problem is, pre-bedtime-snack, and estimating a few things, it seems to come to around 1000 calories! 16/64/21 fats/carbs/protein percentages, and that was assuming tuna salad instead of plain tuna.

Go ahead and eat more, girlfriend! I'd honestly say don't worry too much about going low-fat at the moment—we need those fats to keep us satiated and frankly, it's really hard to eat ~2k calories of healthy food without having some fat in there. Do your own calcs, but we aren't far off in size and I'm pretty sedentary, and losing on 2k to 2500 a day. Of course, everyone is different, standard disclaimer etc. www.fitday.com is a handy site for guesstimating your caloric needs and tracking things, if you weren't there already.

I admire your willpower in sticking to your low-cal, low-fat regimen for 4 days—once you tweak your plan to keep you satisfied and your body happy (your body going, oh, look, no famine here, guess I'll burn some of this fat store rather than slow everything down to preserve)—it ought to feel a lot more comfy!
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Larger bodies need more fuel to do EVERYTHING (from brushing your teeth to driving your car to exercising). So if you weigh 300 pounds you need to eat more than someone who weighs 150.

If you are eating only 1000 calories/day you might want to revisit. It's hard to get in enough nutrients, for one!

Why not see if you lose weight eating closer to 2000 calories/day. I know I'm not the only person who lost eating that much at that weight!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:55 PM   #13  

I did my best to stay around 1000 calories a day.. It did work for me..
( NOT THAT ANYONE ELSE SHOULD GO THAT LOW) Listen to your body...
I ate at least every 3 to 4 hours during the day.. I LOVE to snack..
I just made sure what I ate was something low in calories and good for me...
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:10 AM   #14  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
I just made sure what I ate was something low in calories and good for me...
Same here. Sometimes I feel like I am eating. All. Day. Long. But all the things I'm eating are so low in calories/fat (ie veggies, veggies, and oh! more veggies ), that to get the number of calories I need, I have to eat all day long!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #15  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi!

My husband is diabetic, so both of us are having great sucess with the blood sugar by increasing the fiber and eating whole-grain everything. It keeps his blood sugar from spiking and it helps me stay full with plenty of energy. Oatmeal to replace the Cheerios would be a suggestion that I would make.

Make sure that your pasta is whole-grain, too, such as whole wheat. The label MUST read "WHOLE WHEAT" and not just "WHEAT". Find sauce or make sauce with more veggies added to it. That increases the fiber, adds more veggies to your daily plan, and also fills you up better.

Add some sugar-free yogurt for one of your snacks to mix it up, or dip that snack apple into the yogurt. I got my husband into yogurt, and I often see him snacking on it and really enjoying it. It's a good way to add the dairy, too!

Good luck! Eat enough so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode. My neighbor lost 49 pounds very quickly by eating just 500-1000 calories a day, BUUUUUUT when she began regular eating again, she GAINED 80 pounds!!! Her body went haywire!!

Good luck!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote