Old 01-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #1  

Default Back and Bigger than ever

Hi everybody, I am not new to 3fc but I am back. I really have recommitted myself to this goal of 100lbs. The good thing about starting over for the zillionth time in January is that there are all kinds of shows on tv that give you great information. I just watched Super Size Me for the first time. Yuck! I am keeping it on my TiVo as inspiration.
Anyway I have the worst problems dealing with that after work snacking, and Salty things.
I was wondering what you gals, (and some guys) do to stop the late night snacking, and what you use as a salt substitute?
Also I am looking for a buddy. Anybody interested?
BValentine25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:12 PM   #2  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

You can make a new rule about snacking....that you only snack in the kitchen and NOT on the couch in front of the TV. You could also drink a glass a water every time you get the munchies...then choose a healthy snack if your still hungry. Have some healthy snacks on hand like nuts, sunflower seeds, low fat cheese, sugar free jello.

And for salt substitutes, I use a No Salt brand. Hope that helps some!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I agree with Monkeybabies - set yourself up with some rules and stick to them. Whether it's never to eat after a certain time say 7:30 or only a set amount of food. Experiment and see what works for you. Come up with other things to do instead of eat. Read, a cup of hot tea w/splenda, knit, crochet, needlepoint, straighten up the house, journaling etc....

Welcone back to 3fc, looking forward to seeing you around.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #4  

I love to snack.. When I started back in Feb 2006 I went and bought a lot of them new 100 calorie snack packs.. I slowly did away with them as time went on. With the 100 calorie packs I could keep up with it so much better that way. I broke my snack habit by doing that.
I took a break from dieting in Sept. and now I am back at it.. I have bought a few more of the 100 calorie snack packs to get me back on the right track.
It really worked for me.... As for salt... I never watched that much... I guess that maybe somthing I should try now..
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome back, Valentine. Looking forward to getting to know you.
I dont have a problem with salty snacks...my problem is more with sugar..but I understand the desire to snack after work. I was sitting on the couch watching TV last night and wanting something.....I wasnt hungry, just felt like I should be having a glass of wine or a nice bowl of ice cream or something. I usually have to find a distraction... take a hot bath and read a book, play a game on POGO...and sometimes I just go to bed early.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #6  
Doing it!

S/C/G: 268.5/254.5/160

Height: 5'10"

Welcome back! I can't help with your questions - I'm not a late-night snacker nor do I watch my salt (though I probably should) - but wanted to wlecome you back anyway.
108tolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

Hi BV,

I used to do most of my eating at night and it's a hard habit to break - even now after a full meal I still feel like nibbling on something. The main thing is to look at how you're eating - really look - write it down and see what the pattern is. I found that I wasn't eating regular meals and when I did, and included a few healthy snacks too - I didn't crave anything else. I think eating the right kinds of foods and regularly takes away 90% of the need to overeat. The other times - eating due to stress, boredom, emotional issues need work and these are hard to sort out but you can do it if you've got a solid eating plan that you stick to. I watched supersize me too for the first time two years ago and I haven't been able to set foot in a McD's since!

EM
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #8  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I grew up with having a snack before bed, as did my DH, and he still has one nightly. I've gotten into a routine of having a yogurt later in the evening. My family and I will eat dinner, then clean it up, and after that is when I normally exercise. I'll wait to have my yogurt after I exercise and that gives me a little boost of energy, gets in another milk product (I do WW) and gives me a snack. Another snack that does wonders for me is a small pile of the mini carrots with a Laughing Cow cheese wedge. You feel like you're really splurging, but it's healthy and you get the "crunch" effect that people often turn to chips and salty snacks for!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #9  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi!

Welcome back!

I try to eat every three hours throughout the day. This keeps my blood sugar stable so that I am never famished. I drink lots of water, too, which helps. I watched Oprah and Bob Greene awhile back, and Oprah said that she doesn't eat ANYTHING after 7:30PM. I've been ending my eating by 7:00PM and having just water or tea or coffee after that. I have found that it is easier for me to know that I can't eat anything at all in the evening rather than having to try to control what I choose to eat. I seem to find it easier knowing that there's NOTHING I can have rather than having to eat just a bit of something which seems to trigger a binge of everything that I see!

Hope this helps!

Good luck! We are all there right along with ya!!!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

welcome back!

I'm a "salty" gal as well -- oh wait, i'm a "sweets" gal too! I'm beginning to see what my problem is!?!! hahahahah kidding!

Seriously tho, when I need a salty snack, I either have a small handful of nuts or sunflower seeds, plenty salty, and when I eat that portion i BRUSH MY TEETH & MOUTHWASH! it's weird, but the cinnamon-y minty taste is enough to break the cycle so I don't end up eating the whole bag! It really works

And I do the 8 p.m. thing too...which sucks cuz I don't eat dinner til 7 or 7:30 so sometimes I miss the evening snack entirely...oh wait...that's a GOOD thing! lol

take care!
t.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

This isn't much help for something salty, but when I get the urge to snack in the evening - I have been making a hot cup of tea (one of the nice flavored ones) and I add a teaspoon of Benefiber to it. It helps give you a "full" feeling and it is much better for you than eating late at night. It works really well for me.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

Welcome back!

I'm a night muncher, too, but generally go for sweet instead of salty. For sweets, I've been having frozen berries or frozen banana slices (often mixed together). Yum! Portabella (or other) mushrooms stir-fried with salt and pepper is a savory and salty lo-cal snack too.
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 279/279/180

Height: 5'5"

BValentine25 Hi I'm new to 3FC but far from new at starting a diet falling off giving up and gaining the weight back and more.. so i can really relate i also have a weakness for late night eating my problem is the sweets but then i have to have salty after so i have a double whammy .. why i eat late is because it's after my hubby and kids go to bed it's my down time and i want to relax and do something enjoyable and ofcorse for me its snacking plus i love to eat while watching tv.. well i have a couple ideas given to me one is that when you are tempted to snack on those goodies go brush your teeth it makes most thinks taste bad and may stop you.. i would think a strong mint sugarfree gum would work too. also i know for me i have to keep good alternatives in the house and i need something with volume like a bag of healthy pop popcorn because 3 regular chips would'nt cut it for me. well i hope you find some good ways to target this problem i'll be keeping an eye out for ideas too. I'd love to be your buddy feel free to drop me a line anytime everyone here is so nice and supportive we can do this!!
mommyleelee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #14  

Thats everybody for the welcome back and the awesome tips. I really look forward to trying your suggestions, and having you guys on my team.
BValentine25 is offline   Reply With Quote