Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 01-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/290/200

Height: 5'8

Default first pregnancy and have a question.....

ok, honestly, i have a ton of questions! we found out the day after christmas that we're pregnant. we have a doctor's appt. jan 18. i talked to the nurse when i made the appt. about what to be doing until we come in, but i wondered if anyone here had some advice. i am overweight and very nervous about this. the nurse said i won't be able to lose and should maintain, but i was wondering if anyone else was close to 300 before the baby. what did you do during your pregnancy? did you have any problems--gestational diabetis, etc.? was the baby ok? i'm very worried about my blood pressure, the baby being ok or ending up on bed rest for some reason. thanks in advance for any advice you can give me! lori
wezi1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations! I can't speak from personal experience, but I have a friend who weighed 270 when she got pregnant. She lost 10 pounds during the pregnancy and 30 more within a few weeks after delivery. She did develop gestational diabetes but controlled it with diet. The baby was born right on time and was perfectly healthy. It is common for women who are very overweight to maintain or lose a little weight during pregnancy, as they often begin eating much healthier food. The baby will get what it needs, so as long as you aren't TRYING to lose weight (I know you won't) and you eat sensibly, all should be fine.

I hope it's okay to add a link - http://plus-size-pregnancy.org/firstindex.html is an excellent resource for women who are overweight and pregnant.
peaceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations! What a nice Christmas present!!

This is my 2nd pg with my weight in the 280-290's. My first pg was uncomplicated. No GD at all, mild hypertension but nothing high enough to need medications and my dd was born perfectly healthy after a normal vaginal delivery (with epi). So far this pg has also been free of complications. I get my blood sugar tested in a couple of weeks, so I can let you know then if I have GD this time around.

As far as weight gain, with the first pg I gained 15 lbs by my delivery date and that was gone within a couple weeks (most within a couple of days). In this pg, I haven't gained anything yet and I'm just pass the half way point.

Welcome to the board! Extra weight might mean an increased risk for complications, but it certainly does not guarantee complications.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #4  

Try not to be nervous hun. That'll just make things worse! LOL

I was 245 when i got pregnant. I'd just recently lost 50 pounds, and stayed on the same diet through my pregnancy. I managed to lose a few pounds while pregnant, and when i gave birth lost 28 pounds instantly! (It was awesome)

I did have (erm.. they claimed i had) gestational diabetes during the pregnancy. But i kept my *exact* same diet (basically low carb with fruits and veggies and no sugar/desserts) and she said my chart was the prettiest one she'd ever seen.

My blood pressure was only ever higher than normal when the father of my baby was there. Har. Isn't that nice?

Just aim to eat healthy through this pregnancy. I'm sure both you and the babe will be safe and comfy for the next 35 - 40 weeks. Congratulations! Just be happy, and be healthy!
Saoirsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #5  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I was 290 when I got pregnant with my son (who is now 3 weeks old) and gained 19 lbs during the pregnancy. I was 255 when I got pregnant with my daughter and gained 21 lbs with her.

I passed my 1hr diabetes screening with flying colours with both pregnancies, and both my babies were born fullterm and healthy. My blood pressure also lowered during my pregnancy, it was low to start with but by the end, my blood pressure was very low. I never dieted when I was pregnant but just ate until I was full and ate healthier foods.

Try not to stress, there are plenty of heavy women who have healthy pregnancies and healthy babies.
Raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/187/154

Height: 5'6"

Hi Lori,

I just found out I'm pregnant with my first child on Dec. 27! I have my first lab work today (Jan. 3) and then will see the Dr. accordingly. I have gained 10 lbs since end of Oct./ beginnning of Nov. and don't know if it's pregnancy related. I don't know how far along I am yet.

I agree with everyone else; worrying will get you nowhere. I was wanting to lose weight when I found out about this pregnancy and so, I've had to do an abrupt about-face and think, "MAINTAIN" instead of "LOSE". I am stuggling with worrying because I am a type 1 diabetic, so whenever my sugar level is high, I think about the poor bambino.

BTW, it seems to me that the Dr. should have tried to work you in earlier than the 18th. Although, because I'm diabetic, they usually get me in really quick. I'm also pretty demanding.

Is there an ongoing thread for first time pregnancies or "just found out"? I would like to have an ongoing dialogue with other pregnant ladies throughout this exciting/scary time.

Thanks!
Misa
IamMisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #7  

thanks so much for all the great advice! and, sorry, i mis-typed. we found out the day after my mom left from her christmas visit, so that was dec. 28. i'm trying not to worry and to just enjoy this but i tend to be a worrier, so sometimes it's hard not to--old habits! i'm glad to hear about all the great experiences everyone has had though! hopefully, after we see the dr., i'll be less stressed. going to the dr. is torture for me (for no reason other then my own silly fear of dr's!) but i'll do what i need to do to make sure the baby is ok.

peaceful--thanks for the link--i'm on the way to check that out next!

misa--i was hoping for something sooner too, but when i called the dr, they said she likes to see people around 8 weeks for their first visit. so, that's why we're not going in until the 18th. i really don't have anything to be worrying about--i've had 2 blood tests done lately because i found out in sept. that i have hypothyroidism and they've been watching my medicine to make sure it was working. anyway, i know everything is fine from all that--i check my blood pressure often and i'm not diabetic-although it runs in my family. i guess i just get scared cuz i think something will go wrong since i'm not at a better weight. i was trying to lose too when we found out--i'm not sure i even know how to maintain! i don't know if there's a first time/just found out thread, but i'd be interested in that too. let me know if you find out.

thanks again everyone! lori
Old 01-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

8 weeks seems to be normal for most OB/MW to see their pts for the first time (for low-risk pgs). I also participate on another website forum (pg related) and most of the ladies had their first visit between 8-12 weeks.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #9  

Hey there! I just found out I was pregnant on the 26th! Good luck with everything. I would go over your concerns with your doctor and maybe even see a nutritionist. Pregnancy is a great time to make some good food changes. I did toward the end of my last pregnancy and the changes stuck for the most part. Now I have a toddler that eats healthy foods and a step in the right direction for this pregnancy. It is also a good time to start some light exercise. I really enjoyed the pool classes last time and I think I would like to start that up again.

Nice to know there are a few of us in early pregnancy here! Have a happy and healthy nine months!
She-Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:11 AM   #10  

I went to do my first labs yesterday and because of insurance issues, was unable to get them done. It makes me feel better that you all say across the board 8-12 weeks for the first appointment. This is my first pregnancy, so I am eager to be under a doctor's care and informed.

I went to Borders and spent $68 on books about pregnancy (2 general, 1 about names, 1 about pregnant pilates) to make me feel a little more connected.

Questions:

Are you drinking caffeine and/or artificially sweetened drinks? I was having 1 cup of coffee and one diet Coke a day, but I'm not sure now.

Are there any foods I am supposed to be cutting out? I know about sushi and any other raw/partly raw foods. Any others?

Maybe we could share recipes for healthy eating? I don't have any yet.

Good to hear from you!
Misa
Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #11  

she-mullett--hi! we'd been thinking about a nutrionist too. i started watching what i was eating in sept. when i started to exercise/lose so i feel i'm eating pretty good--lots of fruits and veggies, whole foods, water--but i just want to make sure i'm getting enough of everything. i also have been working out since sept. and love the water classes, too! i was glad when the nurse told me i could still do them--the new session at our ymca starts next monday! i've not been very good about exercise and have just been maintaining since around thanksgiving due to a death in the family--i just wasn't interested in doing much--but i'm so ready to get back to the gym! hope everything goes well for you too!

misa--here are my answers to your questions:

before i knew i was pregnant, i was only drinking one diet root beer a day with my lunch (no caffeine), but i have stopped that due to the artificial sweeteners. now i'm sticking with milk and water. if i really want something with flavor, i'll put lemon or lime in the water. i've also let myself have 1 regular soda when we went out one night, 7-up or sprite. in the books we've bought, some say cut it out, some say limit it. i wasn't a huge caffeine person before, so not having any in drinks isn't a big deal for me. if it is for you, i saw in one of my books some ideas for cutting back and limiting if you're interested. the one thing i'm having trouble with is chocolate. i have a piece about every other day usually, but i'm trying to cut back on that too. since i've found out, i think i've had two, and i'm trying to stop that.

the foods i've read that you shouldn't have are any undercooked meats, eggs that aren't done all the way, no soft cheeses (like brie, goat's cheese, etc), some fish, and i'm sure there were more, but i can't remember them. i read most of them on the internet. you can just search "foods to avoid during pregnancy" and all sorts of sites pop up. mostly i'm just sticking to whole foods.

what books did you buy? we did the same thing and now have a bunch of books to read! we also bought a cookbook for pregnancy, so if i find some good receipes, i'll let you know!

lori
Old 01-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #12  
Strugle Daily Not 2 Fail

S/C/G: 294/294/160

Height: 5'9"

Oh, it's so good to hear of all of you newly pregnant first timers as well! After TTC for almost 3 years we just found out Dec. 21st. We're due Aug. 30th.

I have my first OB on Jan. 24, so right at 9 weeks.

I too am also nervous about being close to the 300# mark! I really don't want to ever see that number on the scale, but I know I can't "diet" either! So, I've just really been trying hard to watch what types of food I'm putting into my body. Trying to go/stay as healthy as possible for these next 9 months!

Good luch everyone! I'm glad we're not alone!
Uphill_Battle_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #13  

hi uphill! congratulations on the great news! i'm so glad to see you on here! we have our appointment on the 18th--we might be on the same journey for the next 9 months! if you ever need to talk, feel free to pm me! i'm glad to meet someone on here who is close to my weight and pregnancy timeline! take care, lori
Old 01-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #14  

LORI: I know the fishes you are talking about avoiding - the ones high in mercury - swordfish, seabass, any kind of "fish steaks". I think the white, flaky ones are good for you - tilapia, trout, flounder. Thanks for the advice about soft cheeses - that was news to me. Sounds like you are doing GREAT!! I thought about a nutritionist, but my insurance didn't cover it. Also, I looked into water classes, but they were so expensive!! I ended up buying the following books:

What to Expect When You're Expecting (the standard for expectant parents)
A Bun in the Oven (more humorous and a personal account of a woman's pregnancy, but still a lot of tips)
Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana (finding an interesting, yet not TOO interesting name for the little bambino)
Pregnant Pilates (figured I might give it a try - it is separated into trimesters)

UPHILL: How do you know your due date if you haven't had your first appointment yet? From the labwork? Just wondering. I feel so clueless.

I will post a recipe I found on the net yesterday for Mango Tilapia, if anyone is interested. It sounded easy, except making the mango salsa. I am so tired after work, I don't feel like doing any cooking, unless it's super easy. That's why we ended up having Rotisserie Chicken over Salad again last night. My husband only picked at his.

Misa
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #15  

So right now, we have Lori, Meredith (aka, She-Mullett) and Uphill. Anyone else out there newly pregnant and/or first timers?

Misa