Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #1  

Post I am a bit afraid!

Let me give you my story. I am a 20 year old male who has been struggling with my weight since I was about 16; I was obese well before that. I was raised in a family that ate a lot, and most in my family are over 240 pounds, so for years I felt fine about my weight. When I was 16 I started to realize that a lot of people in my family had various obesity related health problems, and I already had high blood pressure, so I started to work at losing my weight. Yeah, it's a strange thing... I've never wanted to lose weight because of my look. I am -fine- with how I look, and have never had any trouble from others because of it. I just wanted to lose weight because I wanted to get to a healthy base and prevent myself from getting diabetes and heart disease. My Dad already has serious diabetic complications.

I started dieting, but with my family always eating so heavily, and the fact that I knew nothing about dieting, I jumped between 230 and 260 for the next few years. Every diet seemed to fail me. Also due to bad genetics I have a terrible metabolism. My temperature is often around 35.8 C, which is more than a degree below the healthy rate; this suggests I have a poor metabolism, and my Doctor has confirmed it.

Also dieting was making my physically ill. I would feel fatigued, sick, and gross, and have food withdrawals. I even tried fasting but I couldn't last two days. It screwed me up too damn much. I tried low carb, atkins, even the subway diet, but only with minimal success. I'd lose 30 pounds at the most and then it would slowly crawl back.

Anyways to what I am scared of. I did a whole bunch of research into what your body needs, supplements, etc, last summer, and I just went ahead and made a diet from it. I started it in November with freakishly impressive results.

It worked so well I thought someone was slipping me drugs or something.

I am taking 2 one a day multi-vitamins; 3000mg primrose oil; 1000mg l-carnitine; 200mg coenzyme q10; 900mg alpha lipioc acid; 1000mg vitamin c; 2000mg MSM; 30mg biosil; 3 powdered egg protein drinks mixed with water (skim milk would probably work, but I am lactose intolerant); 1 slice of whole grain bread; 12 cups of water; and 6 cups of white tea. It equals up to a mere 500 to 600 calories a day. I also have a specific schedule for my intake, but I don't want to post that big thing here. I would follow this diet from Monday to Saturday, and on Sunday I went off of it--except for the supplements--and I allowed myself to eat and drink whatever I wanted, except for food and drinks high in sugar content. All in all it equals up to about 100 grams of protein, 75 gram of carbs, and 4 grams of fat (not including the fatty acid supplements I take) per day when I dieted. I picked this combination because from what I read it showed promise, but I never read about something like this ever being done before.

The first two days I had light sugar withdrawals, but from then on it was smooth sailing. I was stupidly energetic, my mind was clear, I felt great! I was also exercising daily, and I actually GAINED muscle mass instead of losing it. And my fat was melting away at a rate of 5 to 9 pounds a week.

I went from 255 to 197 in 2 months, I have firmer muscles, and I seriously am not considering going off of this diet until I reach 170 or 165. (I am 6'2) I am stronger, lighter, and I just feel good. This diet I pulled out of my fat... my fat rolls shouldn't have worked this well, I thought originally. I am having -none- of the usual symptoms that anorexia gives you, since 500 to 600 calories does look like an eating disorder. Even my face is brighter.

And what confused me the most is my core body temperature, since I measure it every 2 days, went up from 35.5 to 36.7, suggesting that despite living off of almost no real food a day, my metabolism has gotten -better-!

And another thing... I can live off of only 6 hours of sleep a day now, or less. I almost never get fatigued anymore, except after I workout. I sleep very soundly, I am going for walks, and enjoying things I couldn't before.

I also have only 1 -tiny- bowel movement a day, and I urinate regularly, but not constantly. The only thing different are my bowel movement. It's like my body is absorbing every single thing I put into myself now.

My family is fine with this, so I haven't had to hide it from them. They are fine with my not eating anything since I haven't shown any negative symptoms, but once a week I PIG out with them, haha.

Anyways now that you know all of that, I need an opinion. Is this a crash diet? I feel great, my metabolism is better, I am rapidly losing weight, and despite me pigging out once a week I seem to be doing fine... Will I suddenly break? Will my good feelings die away all at once? I am going to continue this strange and effective diet, but I have a tinge of worry that I might be causing damage somewhere and not be knowing it. I am monitoring my health, and even checking my blood sugar once every three days, and so far everything has been perfect for a healthy body at my age.

Could I be on to some really awesome diet, or is this just going to screw me up?

Or is this diet maybe hiding somewhere and I just missed it and ended up accidentally repeating it in my own form? heh

*edit* Oh yeah and when I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted, I never binged. It wasn't that hard to do considering I felt so energetic and my appetite wasn't intense.

Last edited by AmnesiaA; 01-03-2007 at 11:32 PM.
AmnesiaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #2  
Kee

S/C/G: 135/135/120

Talking

Hey And Welcome! I think you and i can be great weight loss buddies. Iam close to your age and i was wondering if you wanted to be my weightloss buddy? I dont think i have met anyone who is that young.

Beyonca
Lose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I am very happy that you found something that works for you - but I do have a HUGE concern. 5-9 pounds a week IS NOT healthy - it is not healthy to lose anymore then 2 pounds a week. It is also not healthy to eat less then 1200 cals a day - you body NEEDS 1200 cals a day to function. Eating less then that and you body starts to shut down.

I was actually just watching a show (this wouldnt really apply to you cuz you male but I want to used it as an example) - there was a girl who ate so little for so long her ovaries COMPLETELY shut down! I am not saying that is going to happen to you, but I KNOW what you doing is hurting your body.

I am sure you feel better, I know I feel amazing after having lost 50 pounds - but at the same time it took me 10 months to lose that.

I dunno how much you are eating on your free day, but I am sure it is not enough to make your daily average at least 1200 - when I figure my calories, I add up the whole week and average it out - I don't always look at each day.

If I were you, I would be more worried about kidding yourself then gaining the weight back in the end.

Anyway, if you were someone close to me, I would be kicking you and beating you with a stick to get you to eat more - I don't know you, I can't force you to do anything, but I really hope you do some more reasearch and realize you are hurting yourself.

Good luck.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Beyonca - I am 21 and have about the same weight to lose - I would love to be your buddy and help you to lose weight SAFELY please PM me.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #5  
Kee

HEy Me Again Sorry i didnt read all of your forum and now i did. Well Honestly it doesnt sound like a good diet to me. I mean how could you have energy after living off 600 calories a day for so long? i Mean i cant say anything because i dont know much about half the pills or what ever it is your taking but anyone who looks at it can see that this great feeling you have wont last for a very long time. I think the best thing you can do is consult with a dietian or your doctor.

Best of wishes
Old 01-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #6  

I am not that sure if I am hurting myself though. I know how it feels when you do hurt yourself. I tried fasting, or better worded, going outright into anorexia for a while, and lost over 30 pounds doing this. I felt horrible the entire time. Sick, tired, and crazy. I so hated the feeling that I gave it up. Also my metabolism managed to get even worse... I was cold all the time, and when I started eating again I gained weight so fast I got stretch marks.

But with this diet, even though I am eating only a bit more than I ate when I starved myself, has none of those symptoms. This is why I am confused. I also didn't expect to lose weight this rapidly since I had a slow metabolism in the first place. But something in my list up there made my metabolism rise. I was expecting, at most, 3 pounds a week originally. Can you truly say that I am hurting myself if I don't feel it at all and according to my tests and even doctor's appointments I am nice and healthy? I'm just so lost with this. I am hesitant to stop it until I get to my goal weight, but I am also hesitant to go on in case I get surprised in a bad way. If I keep losing weight at this rate I will be at my goal weight by March. That's 22 or so pounds a month lost.

Oh and on my free day I am probably getting about 2500 to 3000 calories.

And what is a weight loss buddy?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

600 calories seems dangerously low without a doctor's supervision (heck to me, it seems dangerously low even WITH a doctor's supervision). I lost weight by severely restricting calories several times in my life and I never felt bad either - at first.

Are you thinking long term? It's great you are losing weight now, but what is your plan to keep the weight off?

What is your plan when you reach your goal weight? What healthy habits for long term maintenance are you teaching yourself? Looking for healthy recipes, shopping, cooking, planning meals, packing lunches, dealing with temptations at work, with friends, making healthy choices at restaurants...you know LIVING at your goal weight eating a healthy number of calories for the rest of your life. For 20 years, I never understood this. I thought I could "diet" and then go back to "normal."

I could always lose weight no problem, I could NEVER keep the weight off. I always gained it back and MORE weight. I started at age 15 when I weighed 140 lbs and ended up over 200 lbs at age 35. I never ever had a plan for my long term health or keeping the weight off, I just wanted to lose weight this second, no matter how or the effect on my body.

I spent 20 years losing weight by restricting calories. I was only successful long term when I gave myself permission to eat. I lost 70+ lbs eating around 1400-1600 calories of whole foods every day. I have maintained that weight loss for 2 years. I changed how I eat forever, there is no diet to start or stop, this is just how I eat. This is normal.

I definitely think you should eat more healthy fats - nuts/nut butters, salmon, olive oil, avocado. 4 grams per day is exceedingly low. My goal is 20-25% of my daily calorie intake should come from healthy fats.

Good luck to you.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:59 PM   #8  
Kee

Oh weight loss buddy is a friend who helps you alone the way.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #9  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

A few things I would think about...

* Sustainability. What are you going to do once you get to your goal weight?

* Your organs. Your body was not designed to live off of only what you are giving it now. There are nutrients that come from REAL, nutritious food that your organs need to function properly. This includes your brain!!

* You're not a lab rat, but you're treating yourself like one. The effects of what you're doing may not be showing up at your doctor's visits now, but if you continue to "eat" like this, what about a year from now? 10 years from now?

* Euphoria shouldn't be mistaken for good health. Just because you feel great now, doesn't mean what you are doing is good for you in the long run!

*What does your doctor say?

I don't mean to beat up on you, but I get worried when I see people taking drastic measures to correct their weight problem.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 AM   #10  

Well the doctor says he wants me to eat more, obviously. But he barely has any idea of some of the stuff I am taking. He didn't even know what White Tea was--it's the most powerful antioxidant tea out there, so powerful that 1 cup equals 3 cups of green tea in cleansing strength. So since I am not getting good advice and being convinced that what I am doing is wrong, and the fact that I am actually GETTING all the nutrients I need from my pills, even the more obscure ones, and I am also getting 6 grams of fat since some are coming from the supplements, and all the fat from my supplements are healthy fats... I feel that I can continue.

And I know I am treating myself like a lab rat. I am just now trying to figure out what increased my metabolism so it is normal even when I am supposedly starving. And this feeling isn't really euphoria. Euphoria is much more intense. This is just a general all over healthy and feeling good feeling.

Oh yeah and I do have a plan when I finish this diet. I am going to slowly, over a 3 month period, work myself up from 500 calories a day to 2000, and then retain a healthy and nearly vegetarian diet. I may be treating myself like a lab rat, but I did plan this all out. It was originally a 8 month plan to lose weight, but due to my eccentric success it is now shorter.

My main question is that I wouldn't mind hearing advice from someone who knows all about everything I am taking for my diet. If someone like that can come along and give me some new advice at why that supplement combination would be bad for me eventually, I would greatly appreciate it. I am actually starting to think that calories really don't matter if you want to be healthy, unless you give yourself too much. What matters is what your body needs, and you can get all you need with minimal calories. I guess I am being a real crazy lab rat!

And a weight loss buddy would be kinda interesting! So far I have been doing everything by myself, heh

Last edited by AmnesiaA; 01-04-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:54 AM   #11  
Starting Fresh

You can think what you want.

But 6 grams of fat a day? Your slowly killing yourself.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:00 AM   #12  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It sounds like what you're looking for is validation that what you're doing is healthy, but I really don't think you'll find that here... Good luck.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 AM   #13  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
It sounds like what you're looking for is validation that what you're doing is healthy, but I really don't think you'll find that here... Good luck.
agreed.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #14  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I don't think anyone on here will give you medical advice on the supplements you are taking. That is your doctors place.

IMHO, by the time you reach goal and start to increase your calories, your metabolism will be worse than ever and the lbs. will reappear. For a person to lose weight and maintain it, they have to eat and exercise the same for both situations.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 AM   #15  
Starting Fresh

here is some reading

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1459.html