Old 01-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/220/129

Height: 5'5"

Default Running Shoes

I did a little research before buying some new running shoes because I knew my poor knees would be taking a beating from this 200-plus pound body when I start running (I'm still in the brisk walking stage).

I finally chose the Nike Shox. I love them, my knees and ankles are not giving me any problem walking briskly up the hill I walk each day, but my thigh and calf muscles scream very nasty things at me.

What kind of workout shoes did you choose?
PattyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #2  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Are you stretching properly? Since your muscles are hurting, not your joints, I think it might have more to do with the type of activity or maybe lack of stretching than your shoes.

I have a pair of New Balence running shoes with special inserts that I adore.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I was wearing some cheapo shoes and was running, I got the point where I couldnt walk Anyway I went to the 'Running Room' (a running store here) and I got fitted for a proper pair of running shoes... I ended up with Aasics.
Funny thing is, after buying them.... I stopped running, lol. But I wear them, best money I ever spent!!!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #4  

Yes, I'm stretching. I wouldn't even attempt that hill without stretching.
I'm sure my muscles are just mad at me for waking them up from a very long hibernation.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I can't wear Nike's because they are too tight on my feet. I can't wear Adidas because the arch doesn't fall in the right place for my foot. I can't wear generic sneakers because they give me blisters (although I tried again last weekend with a pair of Champions from Payless, and I ended up with blisters larger than a quarter right in the middle of the ball of my foot!). My feet are very picky--I need something wide with great support and with room in the toes (since I am ridiculously prone to ingrown toenails). I had a pair of Saucony sneakers once that I loved, but now it seems when I try on new ones, they are way too tight. I have a pair of Avia sneakers now that I wear for EVERYTHING even remotely active--they are awesome! My boyfriend swear by New Balance--maybe I will try some of those on the next time I need some new treads.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #6  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
I'm sure my muscles are just mad at me for waking them up from a very long hibernation.
Yeah, I can hear mine cussing me out when I work them. "What are you thinking, girl!! We lazy!! Take us back to the couch and pop open some Doritos! We liked that!"
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I do not run. No one needs to see that.

I do walk, though, and chose a pair of New Balance, as had been sugested here when I asked. Best money I ever spent. They are just a simple white walking shoe & they have a breast cancer ribbon on the tongue.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchAPrettyFace View Post
Oh, honey, I SO feel the same way! I always joke to people who talk about running that in my mind, there is absolutely no need to ever run unless you're being chased I definitely do my fair share of walking, though
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

I used to swear by Nike when I used to run...that was 100lbs ago...and I do still think they are one of the best running shoes on the market. However, since I've gained so much weight, my feet have gotten wider and I find the shoes to be too narrow for me now. I'm not running until I get some pounds off...I don't want to blow out my knees....but I am walking. I've found a marvelous shoe called Ryka. The are made for women only and donate a portion of their sales to research on women's issues. They are wide enough for me so that my foot doesnt get that foot cramp in the arch area.....those of you that are flat footed like me probably get what I'm talking about.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #10  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Height: 5'6"

My advice is to go to a running store and get properly fitted. There are many things such as pronation that factor in to a perfect fit.

List of running stores in U.S. and Canada
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #11  

Any shoes a specialty running store sells you will be good shoes. Whether they're good shoes for your feet and for what you're doing is another question. You need to try them on and get advice from someone who's there, not from someone online who knows what works for their own feet. Every shoe from a reputable company (and that's all the companies mentioned in this topic and then some) will be great for some person's feet.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchAPrettyFace View Post
I'm sure my neighbors love seeing a manatee strutting up the hill on the north end of our subdivision.

I "affectionally" call myself The Pretty Manatee (heavy on the manatee) in my journal. A couple of days ago I posted this:

The Pretty Manatee’s man, a health and fitness nut, is going to customize a proper exercise (cardio and weight training) program for his pretty mammal after she completes the first wave (the 10-day sugar detox stage) of Sonoma.

Until then, the Pretty Manatee will be strutting her considerable “stuff” around her neighborhood while listening to “workout music” on her ipod. What a sight: a manatee strutting around the block to the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Evanescence, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Live and Motown!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #13  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
My advice is to go to a running store and get properly fitted. There are many things such as pronation that factor in to a perfect fit.

List of running stores in U.S. and Canada

Thank you for saying what I wanted to say
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I can't wear Nike's because they are too tight on my feet. I can't wear Adidas because the arch doesn't fall in the right place for my foot. I can't wear generic sneakers because they give me blisters (although I tried again last weekend with a pair of Champions from Payless, and I ended up with blisters larger than a quarter right in the middle of the ball of my foot!). My feet are very picky--I need something wide with great support and with room in the toes (since I am ridiculously prone to ingrown toenails). I had a pair of Saucony sneakers once that I loved, but now it seems when I try on new ones, they are way too tight. I have a pair of Avia sneakers now that I wear for EVERYTHING even remotely active--they are awesome! My boyfriend swear by New Balance--maybe I will try some of those on the next time I need some new treads.
Jilli, I know what you mean....Have you ever looked into Merrills? I have a great pair that I have used for all kinds of walking, indoor and out. They are lightweight, breathable, and wide at the toe. I have wider feet too and weird arches. These were comfortable enough that I hiked the alps with them!

Right now I'm wearing a pair of new balances...they are ok, I'm going to be looking to upgrade sooner or later. I'm not a runner cause I destroyed my knees a few years back so i don't need anything too high teck...just something that can be used outdoors on a variety of terrain and in the gym on the elliptical.
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:52 AM   #15  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

lol @ Jillybean & PattyW

I used to sell shoes @ JCPenney's & Nike's run small. If you've got your heart set, try on the next-biggest size.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote