Old 01-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #1  

Default Dr. Ian's Fatsmash FAQ-Phase 1

Hi, I have been lurking for the last few weeks. And I've seen a lot of questions around that could be answered from the Q&A session Dr. Ian did on the Yahoo groups last spring. I thought I'd share them here since I didn't see it over here. If it is here and I missed it, please feel free to delete this!

Phase 1 FAQ

I have from Trader Joe's Roasted & Salted Soy Nuts: 1/4 cup serv. has 7g
fat, 1 g sugar, and 5 g fiber with 130 cal. I was wondering if these were okay they give a great crunch.
Yes, but only a couple of servings per day at most. That would be 260 calories in nuts. Enjoy.

Am I supposed to be eating EVERYTHING in Phase 1?
The items listed are the max that you can have, but you're not expected to eat EVERYTHING on the list EVERY day. That would be too much food. Pay attention to the serving sizes.

Are Kidney (Red Beans) o.k. to eat in Phase 1? I was going to try to make red beans and brown rice for dinner with no meat added.
All beans are acceptable to eat in Phase 1.

Are Vegetarian Baked Beans okay in Phase 1?
If they have hidden sugars, fructose, sucrose, maltose, then no. And watch for sodium. Anything canned will need to be rinsed throughly before eating to remove excess salt.

Are butter and cheese powdered substitutes ok to add to foods. They seem to contain only sodium and a mere 5 cal. per serving?
Sodium is salt. Use in small amounts and you should be okay. The extra sodium though may make you retain water more easily.

Are pickles permitted? Dill? Sweet? Etc...
Pickles are allowed in phase I of both Dill and Sweet variety. It should be limited to no more than 2 pickles per day.

Are veggie burgers allowed in Phase I?
Veggie burger which are made of 100% veggie or tofu are allowed. Some veggie burgers have bread and/or cheese contents. You can't have those.

Are we only allowed 2 cups of tea per day? I can easily drink around 4 cups throughout the day of decaf green tea, no milk, no sweetener...do I have to cut it down to 2?
YES, YOU SHOULD CUT DOWN TO 2 CUPS PER DAY, DECAFFEINATED.

Are you allowed to take vitimins?
Yes, a good daily multi-vitamin

Can Naked Juices be taken during Phase I, we enjoy the smoothie variety, and the ingredients list all fruits?
Not recommended for phase I but in phase II you can have it in moderation.

Can "I Believe it's not Butter" spray be used in Phase 1?
Yes, in a small amount. Use sparingly.

Can I have prepackaged oatmeal or just plain oatmeal?
Just plain oatmeal. Not presweetened.

Can I have soy cheese in phase 1?
Not in Phase 1. It's allowed in Phase 2.

Can I use honey to sweeten tea or oatmeal?
Not in Phase 1.

Can we have Wheat Bulgur?
Not in Phase 1.

Can we have sugar-free, fat-free Jell-O pudding?
No, you really should wait until Phase 3.

Can we use flaxseed?
Yes.

Can you eat whole Grain cearals in Phase I if you don't like oat meal or egg whites for breakfast?
You really shouldn't. Try a smoothie with 1/3 cups of raw oatmeal blended in.

Can you have Grits in place of oatmeal?
Yes, in the same amount of oatmeal per day, 1 cup cooked maximum.

Can you stay on Phase I for more than 9 days?
This question has been answered, look below. You can stay on it indefinitely if you choose to.

Last edited by abt74; 01-02-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #2  

Can you use canned fruit? What kind if so.
Yes, you can use canned fruit, but the fresh fruit is ALWAYS better. If you're going to use the canned fruit, please be careful of the portions. There are lots of additives and preservatives in some of the preparations, so be careful. The best way to go is fresh fruit!!!

Cream of Wheat - can it be eaten instead of oatmeal?
Yes, in the same amount of oatmeal per day, 1 cup cooked maximum.

From Jen: Trader Joe's makes a pasta that's made of Brown Rice and water, would that be permitted during any of the phases where we aren't eating pasta?
NO. IT'S ONLY ALLOWED IN PHASE III AND BEYOND. BEST, DR. IAN-

How about edamame (soy beans)?
I'm pretty sure they are considered a legume and I absolutely love dry-roasted edamame. Thanks.
Yes, you are allowed soy beans.

How long can you safely stay on Phase I without negatively affecting the metabolic setpoint?
GREAT QUESTION. I DON'T REALLY KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT, NOR DO I KNOW IF THAT COULD REALLY BE ANSWERED WITHOUT SOME INTENSE LABORATORY STUDY. EVEN THEN, IT MIGHT NOT MATTER AS THIS WOULD BE DIFFERENT DEPENDING ON THE PERSON BEING STUDIED. I WILL SAY THAT STAYING ON PHASE I WOULD BE SIMILAR TO BEING A VEGETARIAN AND THERE ARE MILLIONS OF VEGETARIANS WHO ARE HEALTHY AND WITHIN THEIR NORMAL WEIGHT RANGES. THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO STAY ON THIS FOR AN EXTRA WEEK OR TWO BECAUSE THEY LIKE THE WEIGHT LOSS AND DETOXING.

I tried the regular oatmeal and found that I was putting 3 tsp of sugar in it. I found the prepackaged oatmeals with 50% less sugar. Each packages has 6 grams of sugar which is = to 1.5 tsps. Is this ok?
Plain oatmeal is best, you can have it with one packet or tsp of Splenda. Prepackaged oatmeal can have added sodium and sugars that fall under a different name. If you really must use them, it might slow your weight loss down.

I wanted to make the chili recipe, but the canned beans have a lot of sodium in them. How much is too much?
Rinse the beans throughly before using. No more than 2000 milligrams of sodium should be consumed daily.

I'd really dig making some no-oil, homemade hummus but I need to know if we can have sesame paste (tahini) during phase one.
YES, YOU CAN HAVE TAHINI DURING PHASE I. KEEP THE PORTIONS TO NO MORE THAN 2 TBSP PER DAY.

I'm waiting on the book- are botlhouse farms fruit smoothies allowed?
Better for Phase 2. It uses apple juice concentrate and not fresh apples. Home made would be a better choice.

IN PHASE 1 CAN YOU DRINK DECAF GREEN TEA
Yes. In the same quantity as herbal tea.

In Phase 1, can you drink bottled flavored water that has been sweetened with Splenda?
No, phase I is detox. It's best to drink unflavored water. Phase II brings back a lot of the drinks.

In the book it says that we can have legumes (i.e. beans) as a good source of protein. I was wondering how much we can have per day. I prefer canned.
As much as you want, they are beans.

Is Granola cereal allowed in Phase II?
No.

Is Splenda allowed in Phase 1? Yes but sparingly.
No more than 2 tablespoons a day.

Is Whey Protein allowed? I like to use whey protein (EAS-Chocolate Flavored) as a base for my strawberry smoothie for breakfast.
Protein powders and supplements have been largely untested, especially with there being so many brands and varieties. If you decide to add protein powders to you shakes, you need to make sure it is healthy protein and the product's manufacturer and their claims are reputable.

Is canned soup allowed? For example, Progresso's Lentil or Black Bean soups? If you're going to have the soup that's canned, please limit yourself to no more than 2 servings a day.

Is coconut milk allowed in Phase 1?
Not in phase 1, but it is allowed in Phase 3.

Is couscous allowed in Phase 1? Couscous is a pasta. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! It's allowed in phase 3!

Last edited by abt74; 01-02-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #3  

Is fruit juice allowed?
No. Fruit juice contains a lot of added sugars and preservatives and no fiber. You can have a cup of FRESHLY squeeze fruit or vegetable juice in phase 1.

Is honey allowed to sweeten drinks in Phase 1?
No, not in Phase 1. Honey is allowed in phase 2, but no more than 1 tbsp per day.

Is peanut butter allowed in Phase 1?
No. Not until Phase 3.

Is soy yogurt ok to have in Phase I? (I am lactose intolerant.)
Yes, and under the same parameters as regular yogurt.

Phase 1: Can you drink Crystal Light?
Not in phase 1 but it's okay to drink in phase 2.

Popcorn is not on the list, is it allowed in Phase 1?
Yes, hot air popcorn is allowed in phase I, but no butter or margarine.

The book says to eat 2 cups of brown rice, 1 cup of oatmeal, 4 egg whites etc. Am I supposed to eat these foods in that quantity each day or is it merely an option? Also, can I eat instant oatmeal, fat-free yogurt that has fruit in it, and red potatoes?? Thanks for your help. I want to follow the plan but am confused.
Those are the limits, you do not eat all of it. Only sweet potatoes are allowed. Red potatoes are still white potatoes and do not have the fiber content or nutritional value of sweet potatoes. White is the indicator of the "meat" or inside the skin. The lighter the color the less nutritious.

What type of lowfat yogurt is permitted. Just plain or can you eat the brands that already contain fruit?
The best is plain, low-fat yogurt. You can slice in fresh fruit or add berries. If you really MUST have the yogurt that already contains the fruit, please do so sparingly.

Are black olives permitted?
Sparingly, and rinsed off.

Can we have the quaker rice cakes? if so, what flavors?
YES, YOU CAN HAVE THE QUAKER RICE CAKES THAT ARE MADE FROM BROWN RICE. THEY RUN ABOUT 60 CALORIES PER CAKE, SO YOU'RE ALLOWED ONE CAKE AS A SNACK. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER FLAVOR YOU LIKE, JUST REMEMBER ONE PER SNACK!

In phase 1 can you have parmesan cheese?
No, not in phase 1.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

thanks! that is very helpful. one confusing thing, the last faq says

"In phase 1 can you have parmesan cheese?
No, not in phase 1."

but in the book there is a recipe for phase one for tomatoes with parmesan cheese on it?? hmmm

Lettie
Old 01-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #5  

Yeah he's not the most consistent guy. But that was out Dr. Ian's mouth. I have a feeling that tasty tomato recipe was in the wrong section...it will be interesting to see what he says in the new book...

When he first released the book he was quite active at the yahoo group and if you emailed him you'd get a response.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #6  
lem
Lem

S/C/G: 163/136/130

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for sharing...that cleared up a lot of questions many of us have been asking. Lem
Old 01-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm just putting this back up to the top...just to help some of the newbies out.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/191/136

Height: 5'6

Thanks for moving it up to the top! It did help a lot of my questions! Thanks!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #9  

Very helpful thanks!
Old 02-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #10  
Coleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambejaly5 View Post
thanks! that is very helpful. one confusing thing, the last faq says

"In phase 1 can you have parmesan cheese?
No, not in phase 1."

but in the book there is a recipe for phase one for tomatoes with parmesan cheese on it?? hmmm

Lettie
Lettie:

I hear ya! When he says NO CHEESE is allowed in Phase 1, yet has a recipe like that in the phase one section of the book, it is VERY confusing! Not only that, but he doesn't list ANY fats in the allowed section, yet has olive oil and butter listed in several of the phase one recipes. I often wonder if my $12.95 was spent in vain.

He also says no NUTS are allowed in phase one, so I don't think soy nuts would be allowed either, right? And what about sesame seeds? Tahini paste is basically sesame "butter." So, how can tahini be allowed? Definitely a very confusing diet as to what you can and cannot have!
Old 02-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #11  
Coleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt74 View Post
Yeah he's not the most consistent guy. But that was out Dr. Ian's mouth. I have a feeling that tasty tomato recipe was in the wrong section...it will be interesting to see what he says in the new book...

When he first released the book he was quite active at the yahoo group and if you emailed him you'd get a response.

I think he needs a good proof reader. Hope his next book isn't as confusing.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 AM   #12  

Yeah...so me and my girlfriend started this about 5 days ago(over the hump right?).Unfortunately going on the vague food list in the book we have unfortunately eaten the following Yoplait light yogurt(all different flavors.),Boca burgers,Light flavored oatmeals(the pre-packaged ones),a little bit of butter (1/2 of what they say in the recipes),and we've been cooking with about 1/2 tsp of EVOO.Sooo needless to say we are still thoroughly confused...should we start again?Should we continue just eliminating those out now?Thanks for the help.
P.S. Thank God we got the book from the library and didn't spend any money on it....once again the internet to the rescue.LOL.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welovepizza View Post
Yeah...so me and my girlfriend started this about 5 days ago(over the hump right?).Unfortunately going on the vague food list in the book we have unfortunately eaten the following Yoplait light yogurt(all different flavors.),Boca burgers,Light flavored oatmeals(the pre-packaged ones),a little bit of butter (1/2 of what they say in the recipes),and we've been cooking with about 1/2 tsp of EVOO.Sooo needless to say we are still thoroughly confused...should we start again?Should we continue just eliminating those out now?Thanks for the help.
P.S. Thank God we got the book from the library and didn't spend any money on it....once again the internet to the rescue.LOL.
I don't know....I think he does need a good proofreader, and isn't 100% consistent. However, I think the diet is what it is. I follow it exactly, and I think there really is not a need to ask to many questions. I don't think the food list is vague, it tells you exactly what you can have in P1. It's just not a wide selection. I've lost 36 lbs so far, so it can't be *that* difficult.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:25 AM   #14  
Coleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt74 View Post
I don't know....I think he does need a good proofreader, and isn't 100% consistent. However, I think the diet is what it is. I follow it exactly, and I think there really is not a need to ask to many questions. I don't think the food list is vague, it tells you exactly what you can have in P1. It's just not a wide selection. I've lost 36 lbs so far, so it can't be *that* difficult.
Amanda

I hear ya - "it tells you exactly what you can have in P1".........however, if you look at the recipes in the book, you will clearly see there is olive oil, butter and parmesan cheese in Phase 1 recipes, which are not listed. I follow directions well, but those items are not listed in the allowed foods for phase one.

Congratulations on your 36 pound weight loss!!

Coleen
Old 03-15-2007, 11:18 PM   #15  

^ No, you don't really hear me then.