Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/143/110

Default Prednisone and Weight Loss

Hi. I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone else has had a significant weight gain while on prednisone. And if so, were you able to lose the weight? I have a chronic condition that is controlled by a daily dose of prednisone. I was on a 150 mg taper on and off for over 4 months and now I have to take 10 - 20 mg daily. I have gained 40 pounds in 6 months. I have always ate healthy and still continue to do so. Unfortunately, I am still gaining weight even though I have limited my calories and I work out everyday. The doctor says that as long as I am on the prednisone I will continue to gain weight, that is the nature of prednisone. I am determined to lose weight - it just isn't as easy as I had expected. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Anne1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #2  

I've taken prednisone but only in a week or two week dose at a time i've never taken it continuously. I get it when my asthma is especially bad and its notmally 30gs a day. I've never noticed any weight gain on it at all but I expect I've never taken it long enough to notice.
What sort of calorie level are you on at the moment? COuld your doc suggest anything else to take instead which wouldn't make you gain?
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/143/110

My doctor says that even maintaining your weight while on prednisone is an achievement. I have several doctors and they all have been unhelpful as to the weight gain. I am on a 1000 - 1200 calorie diet - low fat, high protein, high fiber. I eat every few hours (small meals) to keep from getting too hungry. I work out everyday - cardio, aerobics, and weight training. I am just so frustrated that I have nothing to show for all the workouts and the diet (going on 3 months and counting).
Anne1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #4  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne1977
Hi. I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone else has had a significant weight gain while on prednisone. And if so, were you able to lose the weight? I have a chronic condition that is controlled by a daily dose of prednisone. I was on a 150 mg taper on and off for over 4 months and now I have to take 10 - 20 mg daily. I have gained 40 pounds in 6 months. I have always ate healthy and still continue to do so. Unfortunately, I am still gaining weight even though I have limited my calories and I work out everyday. The doctor says that as long as I am on the prednisone I will continue to gain weight, that is the nature of prednisone. I am determined to lose weight - it just isn't as easy as I had expected. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I just saw your post. I am on Prednison (30 mg every second day)...

I am losing weight! I think that the lower the dose the easier it is. right after my Stem cell transplant for leukemia I was on 100 mg every day. I gain 20 pounds, had "moon face" everything!!! I hate the drug!!!!!! its the
but when I got off of it the weight came off rather quickly. then I had to go back on it. which is where i am now.

When I got the news that I would have to go back on it I bought "dealing with prednisone" by eugine zuckerman ~~~ really really helpful I suggest you get it. Basicly, watch salt intake(this is big), drink LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of water!, watch fat intake and exercise. Keep cals low. I noticed that the day after I "pig out" I have put on some weight~ those days usually see me eating veggies all day ~
Also talk with your doctor and see if he can lower your dose (or increase it but have you take it only every other day....) he may be able to experiment with you to see if a lower dose will still be effective...

I also found out that the Birth control pill with increase the effect of prednison...I brought this up with my doctor but he said he didn't think so...but it is written on the sheet that the pharmacist gives you with all the directions and stuff....try to get one and read it...Oh also on that sheet I found out that prednisone make you sensitive to carbs, so keep them low

hope I helped PM if you have questions!

Prednisone is the
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have been on prednisone for 3 yrs. Gained 50 lbs. and was hungry all the time. I have liver failure and my general doctor had told me that I would never lose weight on prednisone. I was on 40 mg. daily for most of the yrs. and now am on 20 mg. daily. I started seeing a hepatologist who thankfully set me straight. He told me I had to lose the weight or I would not qualify for a liver transplant. He also told me to "get on a low-carb diet and stick to it". I started my low-carb diet June 24,2005 and have now lost 84 lbs. in 11 months while still taking the prednisone. This has been a life-saver for me. I had pretty much given up and resigned myself to always being obese due to the prednisone, but it doesn't have to be that way. The best part is that with the weight loss, my liver enzymes are down four-fold and it may be a long time now before I have to get a transplant. Good luck to you and know that it is completely possible to lose the weight on prednisone, some doctors are just discouraging and don't know all the facts.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #6  

First of all I want to say I'm new here and I love the site so far

I actually have lost weight on prednisone twice! Last summer I was on prednisone (80mg start!) and I decided to not gain weight by eating less than 1500 calories and exercising. I'm 17 by the way, 5'4 and 107 at the time. I also need to mention that I've been struggling with an eating disorder since I was around 14. This time I wanted to lose in a healthy way and I did.

This year I had a MAJOR adverse reaction to a medication that I was put on and I was put on prednisone again (80mg start) (I was about 110lbs) to quiet my immune system's. I have had MANY drug adverse reactions and doctors don't understand why. I lost about 10lbs VERY easily even though I was on prednisone and very inactive. Then when I started to feel better I noticed that by eating up to 1500 I still lost..the strangest thing is that I got to 93lbs in a few weeks..but I was eating much more..

I started binging because I wanted to stay at 95 and I didn't gain..well the next day I did but only about a pound and then later I gained 2 more. However now I've gained 2lbs overnight! I'm really trying now to not eat so much..but i got used to it. I really watch how much sodium I eat and I try to drink tons of water which helps take out the water weight. That's my best advice to keep from gaining weight..watching the sodium intake.

Other than that I know I am lucky to not gain (major) weight from prednisone.. I think my body just reacts different to it. But I still have the "moon face" and all the other horrible side effects I will be on 35mg by Monday (yay!).
clover89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:57 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

It was wonderful to find this thread! I have a dear friend who has been on Prednisone for a very long time (over 6 years) and though her doctors assure her that she can't lose weight on it, she's determined to find a way.

Does anyone else have any information on losing weight on Prednisone? I know she'd appreciate it. Thanks!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/205/150

Height: 5' 6"

I was on prednisone for a year and I gained 40 pounds in 2 months , I had no clue what my body was in for . I no longer take it , but since I have been diagnosed with R A I take it for only a week at a time when the swelling and engery level gets too low. I wish I had known in 2003 what my body was in for when I had to take it. I am determined to never take it full time again and I think losing weight will be a BIG help.
higherfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 154/150/125

Height: 5"2

Hello! I've been on various doses of prednisone for several years. When I was younger I got the moon face but didn't gain weight, but a few years ago I was very very sick and had high doses injected, and that's when I started gaining weight. Tough stuff.
applecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 225/225/150

Height: 5 ft 5 inches

I'm currently taking a 5mg dose at bedtime. My dr hopes it will help with morning stiffness. It isn't helping but because of my weight and side effects already experienced, I am afraid to take a higher dose. I already have the "moon face" and family has commented on it during the holidays. I'm determined not to let it get the better of me. Since I am already taking Humira and Napropsen, I hope my prednisone days are numbered.

Question...I have been getting VICIOUS leg cramps that wake me several times a night, that seemed to start when I started predinsone, does anyone else have this problem/side effect?
Gardinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #11  

Yes, I had that and restless legs but I have been on prednisone for a more than a year and don't notice it as much anymore.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/205/150

Height: 5' 6"

yes , I got the leg cramps in the begining of taking them. I no longer take any I am going for a 2nd opinion.
higherfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 176/153

Height: 5'9"

Default Prednisone and Dieting

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site. I just found it two days ago. I've only been on Prednisone for two weeks for Sarcoidosis. Since I didn't want to gain weight, my doctor told me to get on a low-carb diet. I did. I researched many books from the library and found one that helped me decide how I can keep from eating sugar and salt. The book is entitled, Living the Low Carb Life, by Jonny Bowden, M.A., C.N.S. The foreword is by Barry Sears, Ph.D., the author of The Zone. It helped me decide how to proceed with controlling and losing weight. I can't say how much I've lost so far, but I don't feel any water retention or feel as though I'm eating too much sugar.

From perusing this book, I looked at Ultra-Metabolism by Mark Hyman, M.D., Syndromew by Marriette R. Mogul, M.D. and a few other diet books. Do some research. You'll find what is right for you.

Good luck,
SFDora
sfdora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #14  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

I was started on Prednisone a week ago for a bulging cervical disc. I am drinking lots of water and have lost weight so far but my appetite has not been good. They started me on 60mg and they are tapering it down. Thank goodness nasty stuff.I'm on 40mg right now.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #15  

I'm glad to hear that others are losing weight on prednisone. I've been very discouraged because I've been following a low carb diet and I"m gaining weight still. How low did you all have to go to lose? I'm keeping it under 40 grams per day.
Thank you
Padame is offline   Reply With Quote