Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/195/155

Height: 5'7

Default belly fat

I once heard that sit ups and crunches dont help you loose belly fat they just tighten you muscles. Is this true? and if so what can i do to to get rid of my huge spare tire?
50lbstomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

As far as I know, the only way to lose belly fat is to lose fat in general, which means cutting calories and doing lots of cardio. That's been the recipe that is finally working for me. My belly has always been my worst spot, and the hardest to reduce. For me, it has been the last place for me to lose, too. Crunches and weights and other core exercises will help tighten and tone, which makes the area not look so flabby, and also make your tummy look great for the day when the fat comes off and you can see those muscles. Good luck and have fun sweating!
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

I agree, a combo of cardio to burn the fat and core training to tone up those muscles so they are ready to show!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #4  

There are studies that conclude adequate dairy consumption (not calcium supplements but real, low-fat dairy products like skim milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt) helps eliminate belly fat when combined with a healthy weight loss diet and exercise. I have personally found this to be true. This weight loss attempt resulted in a much slimmer waist than previous attempts even though my exercise program has been the same. Of course, that isn't to say everyone would see the same results.

Dairy studies aside, I agree that weight loss from anywhere on your body is going to boil down to calories in vs. calories out and a healthy exercise plan. Short of liposuction, there really is no such thing as spot reducing.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

My belly fat was the last to go. I didn't notice the difference I wanted in that area until I was about 5 pounds from my goal. I also did a lot of situps to tone it. A combination of the two works best.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree that combining weight loss in general, with cardio (aerobics, biking, running, walking, etc.) to burn fat, and strength exercises (weights, Pilates, crunches, etc.) to gain muscle-is the best route to go.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #7  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

As noted by others this thread and many more throughout the forum, you can't "spot reduce" fatty deposits by concentrating on that area. That being said, doing ab workouts can strengthen the core muscles, and the bigger muscles may help reduce the appearance of the fat.

But in general, the problem areas of fats (which can be abs, thighs, buttocks, etc.) are usually the first to come and last to go, so a sensible and consistent diet and fat-burning exercise routine is needed to shrink 'em.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote