Old 01-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

Default English Muffin's 2007 Plan of attack!

Hi there,

Happy New Year to everyone on here.

I'm so impressed with this site and hope to be a regular contributor here over the coming months.

As I have said in my previous post I have lost over 100lbs but have many more to shift.

Over the last year I 'only' lost 14lbs on the scales but have made incredible progress with my fitness and changed my body by doing resistance training with free weights/ working against my body. Even though I'm still considered to be very overweight my body fat has gone from 55% to 30% - and most of that change has been made this year.

But reality is I need to lose the excess - I have around 75lbs left to lose and I would like to lose 40 of those this year. I think that's possible if I focus.

I need to do more cardio sessions in my exercise plan each week. I would like to start running this year if I get some more weight off - and have sent off an application to run a 10K in October - it's nice to have a goal like that to work towards.

My barriers are caving in to eating due to feeling down/ stressed/ or feeling like I deserve a treat. So need to keep focused on other things that I can do during these times that doesn't involve eating.

It's my birthday on Monday and I have planned an afternoon where I go and have a facial and am having my second ever aromatherapy massage. I had my first in November after years and years of depriving myself of such pleasures because of my hangs ups about my body. No more! I still care - but not enough to let it stop me so am going to enjoy every moment.

EM
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #2  
Doing it!

S/C/G: 268.5/254.5/160

Height: 5'10"

First - congratulations on all that you've already accomplished! You should be really proud of yourself. Good luck on your journey. You've set very realistic goals, I have no doubt that you'll be successful!
108tolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMuffin View Post

My barriers are caving in to eating due to feeling down/ stressed/ or feeling like I deserve a treat. So need to keep focused on other things that I can do during these times that doesn't involve eating.
Hi EM. Happy New Year to you, too! I understand your barriers. I have the same problems...also, boredom can be a big issue too. Its not that I have nothing to do...I work from home for my company...its just that the work can be very very boring and I always want to take a break from it and eat something to fill the void. Argghhh! One of my goals is to find another job, outside of the home, once I lose a bit of weight. I dont want to interview at this weight.

I also want to start running again. I'm just worried about trying to run at this weight...dont know if that would be so good on my knees, so I think I'll concentrate on walking and swimming for now. Have you checked out the C25K program on the Cool Running site? A lot of 3FC participants follow this plan with good results. I can't wait until I can try it!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I need to do more cardio sessions in my exercise plan each week. I would like to start running this year if I get some more weight off - and have sent off an application to run a 10K in October - it's nice to have a goal like that to work towards.

Like you, I've lost a lot. I've also lost my way a little and am struggling with cravings and eating -- just as you said. I've also been doing weight training for about a year and I am really seeing the results. Cardio is the place I need to focus on this year -- though I don't know if I want to do any races or not!!!

I'm not overly focused on the scale right now (though it needs to stop moving UP!!!), but am looking at other fitness goals (what I can DO, what my body looks like, what clothes size I wear).

So, sounds like we have some similar goals this year!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

It sounds like you have a great plan. Are you using the Couch to 5K training program at CoolRunning.com (works for 10K, too)? In the Exercise forum, there's a thread for people who are starting running--you might want to check it out if you haven't already.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #6  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi EM!

Love your chosen name...English Muffin!

Congratulations on losing your weight! You can feel very proud of that! I'm glad to hear that you are making progress in ways not measured on the scale as well.

I have been at the same weight for seven months now. It is the lowest weight that I have been in about thirty years. My body is doing everything that it can to keep me from losing any more, and my MIND is following right along with it, I'm afraid!

I'm losing inches due to exercise. That's been good. I just want to see that scale move! The nutrolls and Christmas cookies have gotten in my way I'm afraid, and have kept me at my same weight.

I recently bought the dress for my son's wedding which will be this August. I need to lose weight in my upper arms in order for it to fit properly. Since my arms are a really stubborn set of body parts for me, I'm guessing that I will need to lose at least 25 more pounds if not more. I've lost 65 so far. I'd like to lose 40-50 to reach the goal that I have set.

I hope that you have a wonderful birthday! You have already accomplished so much, having lost 100 pounds! That alone is a GREAT birthday present to yourself!

Come back often and post your progress and any tips you have on getting out of a slump/off a plateau. We'll make it!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #7  

Default Thanks

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies - 108tolose, Rhonda, Wyellenn, Sheila and Cheryl.

Rhonda - I've also worked from home - or rather studied - until recently and did so for four years. It's very hard I agree! I guess I coped by building the need to snack regularly into my plan - I eat constantly but just make sure it's healthyish snacks. Think also exercise is a really helpful way of structuring the day and helping relieve boredom and stress of working alone a lot. Walking and swimming are great forms of exercise - no need to run at all. It never appealed to me but I think it's more a personal challenge to see how fit I can get and it may force me to lose a bit more weight before I can start training so might be a good thing for me. We'll see

Wyllenn - It's great that you're not too worried about the scale. There's no reason you should be you've done great things and are doing great things with your strength training. Think there's a period of fat loss/ muscle gain when you train seriously. I thought it might be just initially but I think it might be a longer process than I imagined - I've spoken to others with similar experiences. I would th ink we've lain pretty good foundations to keep the weight off long term - even if we don't have the immediate 'success' measured on the scale. For me - having been so dangerously overweight - this is more important to me now.

Sheila - Thanks, I had a look at coolrunning and have downloaded the programme. I need to lose some more weight before attempting it but will aim to start training after Easter.

Cheryl - Many congratulations on losing 65lbs. Think the mind/ body needs to adjust so a period of maintenance might be necessary for some. I think I needed time to adjust psychologically to all the changes and it's just really hard staying focused 100% for years on the weight loss phase. I think having a long period of maintenance is really great if you've never maintained your weight before - I hadn't anyway. Think it reassures me that I will be able to keep the weight off long term. Maybe you feel the same? It is frustrating I agree - but it'll come off when you're ready.

Well I've had a good start to the new year and having been having a semi detox - I can't give up tea so it's not a real one - but have had fresh fruit smoothies for breakfast, homemade green sludgey kind of soup (with spinach, peas, courgettes - or zuchinni? is it, and watercress) for lunch and fresh fish and veggies for dinner. Will do that for another day and then hopefully my body will be cleansed of all the excesses of the festive period - I felt so ill on New Year's Day as my body is not used to high fat foods anymore - to think I used to eat like that all year around! Yeuuch. I'm also back into my exercise - went for an hour's walk on Monday, the gym yesterday and will go for a swim today even though it's freeeeeezing here! I've decided that I'm going to stick to 1800 cals 6 days a week and a relaxed 2500 one day a week and continue with my exercise and hope this will result in a 1 1/2 weightloss per week - we'll see what happens.

Wish you all well for the week

EM
Old 01-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #8  

Quote:
Wyllenn - It's great that you're not too worried about the scale. There's no reason you should be you've done great things and are doing great things with your strength training. Think there's a period of fat loss/ muscle gain when you train seriously. I thought it might be just initially but I think it might be a longer process than I imagined - I've spoken to others with similar experiences. I would th ink we've lain pretty good foundations to keep the weight off long term - even if we don't have the immediate 'success' measured on the scale. For me - having been so dangerously overweight - this is more important to me now.
You are so right! My ultimate goal is to KEEP the weight off.

I would rather stay at this size and weight (even if it's not quite what I want), than lose another 20 pounds or more and then gain a bunch of it back!

I so agree that weight training can help build a good foundation. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat, so that helps. And I love being able to carry 20 lbs of dogfood or somesuch. I think I am already fitter and healthier than I've been in my life!!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #9  

Hi there,

That's great Wyllenn. I would happily maintain at 180lbs! Think as long as your healthy and are physically active you're probably be in better shape than most slim sedentary people. But it would be nice to get all the weight off wouldn't it? It seems a bit of a dream for me and I don't really believe I'll get there - but I shall try and get close!

My week seems to be going really well - am sticking to the very healthy detoxish plan and am starting to feel my energy levels rocket back to their usual level - Christmas really took it out of me! Off to the gym tonight and am going to try and vary my routine a bit as it's a bit old - will ask one of the trainers for advice if I'm feeling brave.

EM
Old 01-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #10  

EM -- yep, would be great to get more weight off, but I'm finding that if I only focus on that now I get frustrated. I'm trying to focus on other fitness goals... I may lose sizes if I gain more muscle. Even if the scale doesn't go down I may get smaller and fitter. But I suspect if I keep eating as I have been and continue to exercise I will lose more (just more slowly). I'm just not in a hurry right now!

If you find it hard to just ask advice of a trainer, consider hiring one! You can interview some at the gym (there was a thread about this in ladies who lift sometime last fall). You don't have to invest in a lot of sessions if you aren't sure you'll like it. I find having an appointment with someone gets me to the gym (one of my big problem), and the obvious improvement I'm seeing in my abilities is very motivating!! Plus, I'm learning a lot!!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #11  

Wow, EM You are my complete and total HERO! You've done such an amazing job, i'm awed by you. my new role model!!

I've got a long ways to go on my weight loss journey, but you've definately inspired me.

Happy early birthday! Are you going to be doing anything special?

Also, how did you decide on your goal weight? Mine is really just a number thrown out there, and it's at the high end of what dr's are saying is 'healthy' for my height and age. I'm thinking if i'm ever able to get down that low, it will probably change. So i was just curious.
Saoirsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #12  

Oh! And i forgot to mention, your "will ask one of the trainers for advice if i feel brave" made me smile. At least i know i'm not alone in that! I've never asked anyone at my gym for help, because i'm so embarassed/shy about it. But i wish i had access to a trainer who could encourage me, and help me mould my workouts into something that's the most beneficial for me!
Saoirsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #13  

Hi all,

Thanks for your messages Wyllenn and Saoirsee.

Wyllenn - I've considered hiring a personal trainer but feel I need to get fitter first!! Isn't that silly? But might consider that when I want to start running.

Saoirsee - thanks so much for your kind message! Wish I could claim to be a good role model - but really the years of abuse I did to my body I really don't think I can. But hopefully if I get the rest of the weight off and keep it off - maybe! Think we've got similar amount of weight to lose so we can keep it each company. I find writing in a journal and reading other people's journals to be crucial to keeping me on track and giving me ideas about how to get out of particular ruts. It's so helpful. As for goal weight - think on our British based charts the top end of 'normal' is 147lbs for my height so was hoping to aim for that. But it seems a bit distant. I'm just going to see how I feel at particular weights. Frankly at the moment I feel the slimmest I've ever felt even though I know I'm not really because of the size I used to be - so can imagine that I would be happy if my weight didn't budge much beyond 170lbs.

Oh! And i forgot to mention, your "will ask one of the trainers for advice if i feel brave" made me smile. At least i know i'm not alone in that! I've never asked anyone at my gym for help, because i'm so embarassed/shy about it. But i wish i had access to a trainer who could encourage me, and help me mould my workouts into something that's the most beneficial for me!

Yes! I think this is partly due to the feeling of being completely excluded from physical activity all of my life. So I am still on the edge of things. I'm very confident in every other area of my life but I think it's because it's focused on the body and doing sporty stuff with my body that I do want to hide in a little corner of the gym and not really be 'seen'. My difficulty with the trainers is that one of them took a bit of a shine to me - most unexpectedly - and I had a few disastrous dates and now it's all a bit awkward!! But think I would have problems asking for help even without that.

EM
Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 AM   #14  

EM -- I know what you mean about wanting to get fitter first, but one thing to think about is that the trainer's job is to help you get there. One of the things I really like about working with a trainer is that he knows HOW to do the exercises, he thinks about my progression and has kind of a bigger picture. I started working with one because I didn't really know how to progress, especially with weight lifting! I learn a lot from working with him AND am making progress.

I also know what you mean about excluding physical activity from your life. I've never been athletic and am now realizing that I don't have a "mind/body" connection. I'm starting to develop one now (after 40 years of life) and it's kind of cool!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #15  

Hi there,

Wyllenn - think I'm discovering my mind/ body connection too! The first exercise I did at my heaviest was tai chi and think it was the first time I felt good about my body regardless of size that I got the feel good feeling from exercise and tuned everything else out and just focused on me. I felt high after my first class! I'll think about the trainer idea as it does sound like it might be really helpful. Glad you find it really useful.

I've had such a good week with food and have been eating such healthy meals. Then my sister gave me the biggest box of chocolates I've ever seen as a birthday present. Now she knows that I don't want gifts like this anymore - I returned several boxes of chocolates and other chocolate items two years ago that she gave me over Christmas and birthday and explained that I couldn't have things like that in the house in such large quantities. I still eat chocolate but don't buy in bulk anymore. So I do have to question why she has given me a gift I have told her I wouldn't want? Very annoyed about it! I did end up opening the box and having some - but I put the rest in the bin (a real waste but I simply couldn't have them in the house long enough to wait until morning when I could have given them to someone who might have liked them). Hope I don't sound ungrateful but it just seems to me that my wishes and my seriousness about my weight is not being taken seriously by those around me. But anyway I think I handled it as best I could.

EM