Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #1  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Default Binge-free week, Jan 1st Start

HAPPY NEW YEAR to Everyone!!!! It's a traditional time for people to make resolutions, to set goals for improvement. If one of your goals is to reduce/eliminate bingeing, purgeing and/or other destructive eating behaviors please join us! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!

This is a thread to challenge ourselves to remain binge free for one week. Some of us make it, and some of us don't, but we all give it our best effort. It doesn't have to be an entire week. Some of us take it hour-by-hour. Whatever you can do, come here to share your successes and your struggles. Together, we are all stronger!

Please refrain from mentioning any specific foods because it sets some people off on a binge. If you feel the need to mention food, head on over to Cyber Purgers and confess away.

This is a thread open to all, don't hesitate to jump in anytime!!! Newbies are very much welcomed!!!

Good luck and much strength!

Let's do it!!!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #2  
Elizabeth

Hi Everybody!

It's a Monday AND a new year! What a great time to recommit to eating healthier! I know this thread has been a bit quiet lately. But I will try to post everyday because it REALLY does help me! I hope it can also help you!

It is SO much easier to post here when I've been "binge-free" Hopefully it encourages others, just knowing that it IS possible to become binge-free. It is far more difficult to post when I've been on a wild binge But this is when I really NEED to post the most! There are so many wonderfully supportive people out there who really can relate to the pains of slipping off of the wagon.
It hurts to fall off the wagon, but it helps to know that I am NOT alone. Many, many of us struggle with this.

My goal is to use food for FUEL ONLY!!!!

Good luck to everyone!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/125

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I'm going into the new year with six binge free days under my belt- my longest ever! Its so easy this time around and i think its one thing i have finally figured out- moderation. It was always all or nothing with me- thousands of calories or 'fasting' . I'm finally in the middle eating my reccomended value to lose weight and not being afraid. I got over a big fear of mine the other day- olive oil. I used to never cook with it because i thought it would make me fat. And that was when i was 97 pounds haha!

I think i have come a long way to recover from both my anorexia and now my BED Its about time that i'm in charge of this show... it is my show afterall!

best of luck to everyone! YOU CAN DO IT!
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #4  
Potter Researcher

S/C/G: 298/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Yeah! A New Year... a new start!

I agree with you Elizabeth that it's better to check into this thread daily because it encourages you to become more accountble for what you're eating. Since the holidays I've found it increasingly difficult to stay on track, but recommit myself to health once more! I know that I can do it because so many of you have already won the battle or are well on your way to victory!

Here's hoping that I'll end 2007 a much healthier, thinner, happier and more confident woman!

Barb

P.S. Congratulations Rock'nRoll on making such progress towards controlling your eating disorder. You're an inspiration to me!

Last edited by Phoenix Song; 01-01-2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Cross post
Phoenix Song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #5  
Elizabeth

Rocknroll & Phoenixsong I'm glad to have wonderful company in this thread! GOOD LUCK!

I just read something I thought was interesting, it really made SENSE to me, and wanted to share it:

Anthony Colpo's response on the lowcarbmuscle.forum to a poster's dilemma with recurrent binging. :

Quote:
I have observed this phenomenon time and time again...people deviate from their diet or training, conclude they have messed up, then figure if they are going to mess up they might as well do it big time. What was an inconsequential deviation from their prescribed routine--deviations that can happen to virtually all of us--becomes, in their mind, a huge disaster.

I do not know why people do this, I have never sat down to psychoanalyze it...all I know is it is highly irrational and counterproductive to progress.

If you were driving to another city several hours away, and you took a wrong turn, would you shout "damn it, I screwed up!" then deliberately drive your car into a tree?

I should hope not! More likely, you would pull over, take the map out of your glovebox, and check to see where you had made the wrong turn. Then would you would turn around, go back, and get back onto the correct road.

It is the same with training and diet. Life is going to throw you a bunch of curveballs that will make it hard to stick to training or diet, be it in the form of lapses in resolve, or family situations, busy schedules, whatever. When you take a wrong turn, just remind yourself that you are only human, that deviating from your routine briefly does not constitute armegeddon, then get back on track right away.

If you do this, the damage, if any, will usually be minimal. When you are back in the swing of things, then you can think about how to prevent such deviations in the future. Eg, scheduling morning workouts when you have a period where you might need to stay back at the office; scheduling your high and low volume phases so that the low volume phase occurs during a period when it may be difficult for you to make it to the gym as often as you would like; taking food with you when you are on the road or at the office so that when hunger strikes you do not find yourself at the vending machine buying junk...

If I start to binge, I will try to imagine myself in a car and will NOT drive into a tree! I will strive to be binge-free/ tree-free!!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #6  
JNW

S/C/G: 177/172/135

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone!
I am new to the forum, but from what I have seen so far, this truly does seem like a very nurturing, safe place to discuss really personal and difficult issues. I am trying to get back down to a healthy weight for myself, but I have been struggling with bingeing for a while now. I am going to try to get on this website every day because it will remind me that I am not alone and that there are people in the world who must confront the same issues that I do every day of their lives. Together we can do this!!! Can't wait to hear all of your success stories (and hopefully add some of mine, as well!) Here's to our health in 2007!
JNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #7  

Hi guys!

I've been binge-free for three days now. I had been doing pretty okay until Christmas week, and then my MIL came to visit. I'm not blaming her - it was TOTALLY my decision to do it. I'd been plodding along feeling pretty good about myself, and I'd even exercised almost every day (minus one) for a week and a half before she got here.

I'm still not sure what happened. She's a health nut, and VERY into exercise, and on some level (although she won't actually admit this, it's kinda obvious) she considers being overweight immoral. I'm sure she meant well. It's just that she would ask me EVERY SINGLE DAY if I had exercised yet, and it seemed to me like she made a point of looking disapprovingly at whatever I ate, and after a while it just started getting to me and I freaked.

Took me one or two days after she left to stop feeling like a rebellious teenager and get my head back on straight. But I'm starting to feel back on track now.

Here's to a week of being binge-free! And of not having any mothers-in-law visiting!
tamibeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #8  
Detangler

ok ok i'm back. last time i was back it was just for one post. but that was LAST YEAR, my friends!

my goal this week is to keep small binges from lasting all day/week/whatever.

happy 2007!
_knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 138/138/118

Height: 5'3"

Hi all! I am new here and saw this and thought, I should join in! I had an eating disorder years ago and got over it, but lately I have been under a lot of stress and have been eating everything in sight. I am looking to STOP that, so, I am posting here. So far, so good today - I have been eating healthy meals and normal size portions and I feel great about that!!!
sunmoonstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #10  
this time I mean it!!!

S/C/G: 355/336.2/190

Height: 5' 8"

2 days binge free (and the start of my 2nd YEAR purge free). I'm hoping to make 2007 the year I end the bingeing....
brunissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #11  

Congrats brunissen!
I used to purge a lot but then something clicked a few months ago and i just stopped overnight. Sometimes i get the urge to but its not worth it. I have several cavaties that i still have not had fixed... i was waiting until the new year for my insurance to give me more money or something like that!

hi jnw sunmoonstars and knot! i just recently started posting here and look at me now... 7 days binge free! Its amazing what support can do!

awesome job tami!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! im still excited about it! haha
Old 01-02-2007, 05:58 AM   #12  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Happy new year!!

Ok, I guess I was quite binge- free (more or less all the way through Christmas and the New Years Celebrations).

I had to face the scale yesterday morning. Good news: I havenīt gained a single lb since I stopped food restricting (and unfortunately got lazy with exercising... ).
Bad news: I havenīt lost weight...
But my period started five hours after I faced the scale, so maybe it could be that there would be a very tiny loss after TOM.

But I feel quite good at the moment- sometimes even satisfied with my body! And the greatest advantage: after more than 2 monts allowing myself to eat everything I want, the urge for some foods (normally my binge foods) is gone. They completely lost their desirable magic touch.

And I made some experiences with staying binge- free in two semi- crisis. Hey, itīs definetly NOT FUNNY. No Disneyland in sight. But the interesting fact is that if you take the chance to stand the pain, you learn a lot about yourself. And if you donīt cover the pain, it gets really intense- and then it getīs better. After all, itīs better than the constant nagging pain.

I havenīt made New Years resolutions...maybe I should, maybe I shouldnīt....2007 will be the year of great changes and chances for me. Hopefully I will make my legal bar exam this summer (SIX MONTH TO GO!!).

sunmoonstars

_knot back!

brunissen: Congrats for your two binge free days- and the two years without purging!

tamibeep: Uh, I know such situations so well...Everytime someone (specially relatives) is judging my food intake or making suggestions (even if they just want to be helpful) I act like a rebellious teen....and it take a lot of time to get reasonable again.
I stupidly thought for a long time that I could successfully hurt the people around me with hurting myself. Which is rubbish...But I thought if I would turn out as a successful, fit or whatever person, they would honor my parents for that and I think that they donīt deserve it...

Elizabeth: Hi! Happy new year!
Nice thought in that article...I am just looking up the Drama- queen solution
The Drama- queen in me would definetly drive into a tree...Itīs so "Gone with the wind"-y.

I hope everybody is having a nice day with some amount of binge free time!

Kate
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #13  

good Morning everyone and Happy New Year!
I come to report 9 days (counting today) binge-free.
And 9 days sugarfree as well.
I dont weight myself, for now, I am just going by the way my clothes fit. And this weekend I had to move so I did exercised a lot! So I am very happy about that!
Good Luck to everyone and I wish every body stays binge -free!!!!
carolva77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #14  
Elizabeth

Hi Everybody!

I'm still binge-free (YIPEE) and I'm feeling stronger each day. 7 days binge-free!!! I've been eating ONLY at scheduled meal times which I think really helps. When I eat at different times, I find I'm far more likely to binge and am constantly thinking about what I can eat next....even with a full belly.

JNW~ You are SO right....you are NOT alone! And this is a " nurturing, safe place". Good luck!

tamibeep~Congrats on 3 binge-free days!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #15  

7 days binge free and i almost binged today... almost. It was scary but for the first time i stopped and put down the food and walked upstairs to type this. I am leaving the house right now and going on a walk with my dog. Who knows where, i'm just going to aim for 60 minutes.

man that was close

and congrats telemetrynurse! schedules sound like a great idea!