General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #1  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

Question Credit Card Info Stolen

Wondering if anyone here has ever had their credit card info stolen? I used my credit card last week at a dive shop in Mexico - it was the only time I used it the whole time I was there, and I thought it'd be safe since the place has been around fro so long and has a great reputation. Turns out someone stole my info, though, and charged a few hundred dollars to my card. I've cancelled it, and contacted my credit card company, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Do people generally get their money back in these situations? I've never had this happen before, and I really can't afford to absord another few hundred dollars. If anyone can give me an idea of what usually happens in these cases it'd be much appreciated. Guess I'll just have to be more careful using my card when I travel.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #2  

check with your cc company, many of them have "insurance" against this type of thing and will refund all or part of the loss. Sorry this happened to you!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #3  

Yep. It happened to me, except mine was due to an online store being hacked into and the information being stolen. I found out about it by my credit card company calling me and asking me if the internet access change for the Australian company was valid? NOT. Anyway, they immediately cancelled my card and them sent me some paperwork for the dispute process. I had to fill that out, get it notarized and then submit in. No problems getting my money back at all.

Now I always use a virtual or one time credit card number for all my online purchases. Live and learn. Oh and you also might want to put a fraud alert on your credit report. This will stop any "instant credit" type applications from being granted, I believe. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There are laws protecting you. You are not liable for this. Probably what will happen is that your credit card company will give you a temporary credit on the amount when you call them, then start an investigation into the charges. You'll have to sign a legal document stating you didn't make the charges. You should definitely get the money back.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

I work at a credit union. Let me offer a few pieces of advice - find out the exact procedure of your bank. Some will put those charges on hold until the dispute is settled and then decide whether or not to take them off, some will make you pay for them first and then credit you back...
The card should be canceled, any recurring charges on your card should be notified (like if you have AOL or your energy company whatever charging the card every month) and either cancel the auto payment or give them the updated card info if you already have it. It may be too late for the last monthly payment to be canceled, be prepared.
You most likely will have to fill out paperwork, have it notarized, and possibly provide them with copies of receipts or other documents... and possibly an official written letter of dispute. Every place is different.
The main thing is, that there are a lot of steps and there are a lot of ways things can go wrong... so just make sure you are well informed, follow the steps, keep copies of EVERYTHING, write down names and extensions of people you talk to at the bank, in other words CYA! And if at all possible, when returning the documents, if you can't go into a branch and do it in person, you should have them fedex'd or sent by usps using a return receipt or confirmation of delivery. The last thing you need is to do all this and have them lose it, and trust me it can happen!
I definitely recommend that you flag your credit report. You can go online to their websites and either print out a form and mail it, or on some of them you can just fill and submit it online. The sites are just expeian.com, transunion.com and equifax.com
I suggest you submit under all three, though they say that all will be notified if you notify one... better safe than sorry and it can take anywhere from 30 to 90 days for them to share information.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had a credit card issued from a credit union and when I moved, I informed the credit union of my move. I got all my statements at my new address and thought everything was fine. Move ahead 9 months and my card expires. Usually I get my new card before the old one expires. I call the credit union, they indicate that all is well, the new card is on it's way. Fast forward one month to my next statement. Needless to say, the credit card company DID NOT update my entire profile and they sent out my new card to my old address. Yup, the idiots living in the apartment took the card, bought gas for all their friends (6 fill-ups in 1 day at the same station) and bought jewelry at a nearby mall. Thankfully that was all they did. BUT the credit union had the AUDACITY to make me pay the $50 fee for THEIR MISTAKE. I was not at all happy about this (this happened at a time my DH and I now refer to as "back when we were poor"). I wrote letters and complained and they still made me pay.

I agree that you ought to contact the credit reporting companies IN WRITING and let them know what happened. And make sure you fill out all the appropriate paperwork with your bank. These days it is a lot worse than when it happened to me. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

In addition to what others have mentioned, I also advise putting an alert on your credit. It's simple, it doesn't take that long, and goes a long way in protecting you. My info was stolen from a college computer and I put an alert on my credit. A few weeks later DB and I financed some furniture and we ended up waiting for over an hour while they tried to approve my credit. I ended up having to speak to like 3 people from the credit agencies right there on the phone and had to provide info I wasn't even sure I still remembered. Once I found out why I was waiting I was very relieved.

Last edited by junebug41; 01-02-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #8  

Recently our university exeprienced a system hack and about 50,000 employees suffered an identity theft. The asked us to immediately fill out a fraud report at either experian, transunion or equifax. Also report to all banks linked with it and see if you can decrease the activity limit on it.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #9  

Maybe it's different because I live in Canada, but I've had my credit card information stolen, and they spent a few thousand dollars on it, and the card company contacted me tolet me know that it had been used in a freudulant way, and I should not worry because my new card would be sent to me shortly. I had to sign a form giving them permission to investigate it,a nd just basically saying that I hadn't purchased the stolen items, and from there it was good to go.

I've also had my debit card comprimised 2 times, and they just callme to tell me that it's cancelled, and that I should makeit in to thebank at my convinience and they will get me a new card. Hassle free!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #10  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the advice everyone. I called my cc company right away so that they could change the numbers - the old info can no longer be used to make purchases. I only made one purchase, and have the receipt for that - this is a very new card, and I use it sparingly, so I know exactly where all the other purchases were made. At this time it's still listed as a temporary transaction, so there isn't technically a fraud yet - my cc company expects the transaction to go through by the end of the week, and then they'll launch an investigation. I've also put an alert on my credit. Guess all I can do now is wait until the purchase is posted and they start an investigation. Thanks for all the advice/reassurances!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Good Luck Sierra ~ Our Credit Card Number Was Stolen By A Cashier At A Sears Store 3 Years Ago...didn't Cost Us Anything, It Was Discovered Right Away But What A Headache...they Caught The Girl And She Made Restitution To Us. Our # Was Also Stolen Off Another Card Last Year, Don't Know Where Or How, They Were Able To Make Some Purchases In Another State At Fast Food Places, Gas Stations, Dennys...without The Freakin Card!! Again, No Cost To Us But The Headache!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I had my card stolen once. In the 24 or so hours before I noticed they rang up about $900..

Call the card company NOW. You have to officially report it as soon as you notice. Then you have to fill out some forms. The items charged get marked and eventually they back out the charges. In the end I paid nothing but it took 2-3 months to resolve
Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

A credit card my mom hadn't used for about 4 years (she had it activated, she just never used it) suddenly was charged with 4 plane tickets worth about $1400 in INDONESIA. The credit card company called my mom even before her bill came, and they said they had already taken care of it. And my Discover card calls (or emails) if there is a purchase over $200. I've had many different cards over the years, and luckily, have never ran into that problem.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thank goodness for Citibank! Last night I got a call from them, they had noticed some unusual activity on my Mastercard (which I rarely use) and they called to confirm that the charges were legitimate. They weren't (two online purchases, RadioShack for $495 and Wallmart.com for $1000). They cancelled the card and will reissue a new one for me and will send me a report to go over--all I need to do is circle the charges that do not belong to me and return it and they'll take the charges off.

This is the 3rd time they've called me to report unusual activity. The first was when we purchased our big screen TV (big purchase) and the second time was when my DH forgot his cash and used his card twice in the same day (he had never used the card prior to this).

Again, all I can say is thank you Citibank!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

THANK GOODNESS ALLISON ~ WE HAVE A CREDIT UNION AND THEY ALSO HAVE CALLED WHEN LARGE OR OUT OF THE ORDINARY PURCHASES WERE MADE. BOTH TIMES WERE BY US...BUT AFTER HAVING OUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER STOLEN, TWICE, WE WERE SO THANK-FUL THEY CHECKED.

THEY USED TO CALL ALL! THE TIME ~ ANGIE HAD IT SET UP TO CALL WHEN I PURCHASED MORE THAN A 12 PACK OF CORONAS FOR THE WEEK-END AT THE LIQUOR STORE...THAT GOT TO BE ANNOYING SO I STARTED PAYING CASH!
Closed Thread