South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #1  
Barbara

S/C/G: 272/260/170

Height: 5'10"

Wink Hello to All. I'm Dreaming a Little Dream!

What is realistic on the SBD? With so much to lose, would it be too much to hope to say goodbye to 50 pounds this year? My husband's health is finally forcing me to take serious action, too.

I'm probably one of the older members on this forum. Bill and I have 6 children -- four of whom are grown and away from home. Two teenagers left -- the youngest with weight problems of his own. I've just turned 51 and don't want to be this size when I'm 52. I've been a size 20/22 in three children's wedding pictures ... and would love to someday be as small as the other mother. Since I'm 5 feet 10 inches tall, I won' ever be as short as the other mothers, but losing weight would certainly help with self-esteem issues!!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and to hope that each of you reaches their goals and dreams this year, too! Barbara
Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/178/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Dream Away , Sister!

Hi Barbara, Welcome to the SBD-and I'd like to pop in here and say YES-it can happen. I lost 50 pounds on SBD in 7 months,now after a long set of setbacks and some gain-am back and ready to get back on track.
Take it one day at a time, focus on your health and get your family into it if you can-HAVE FUN with it. Sometimes the experamints go awry (like the tofu-shredded carrot-orange gelatine fiasco)-but other times one wonders why we didnt eat more healthfully in the first place.
It is helpful to keep a journal and measurements along with a weight chart.
BEST of luck
Lisa
Old 01-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #3  
on my way to fabulous

S/C/G: 239/218.2/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm new this week myself, but welcome.

A "safe" rate on any plan is 1-2 pounds a week. So no, it's not unrealistic to aim for 50 pounds in a year. My goal is to be on to Phase 3 on or before my next birthday (Dec 26). I agree that keeping a journal is helpful. In the past, I've always done my best when I write it down...whether it's what I ate, how I felt, what I did, or anything else. It's also helpful when you hit a rough spot to go back and see what worked and what didn't.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #4  
Barbara

S/C/G: 272/260/170

Height: 5'10"

Thanks, girls. I want this one to be fun .... after all, the kids are almost grown and it's time for a little fun -- right? Thanks!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #5  

Part of the fun for me has been trying new recipies-AND sharing with others. he he he-sometimes I dont tell untill AFTER they have tried a certain item-but now some friends will ask me first "UMMMMM-are there BEANS in that??!!"
Old 01-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 286/145

Hey Barbara, welcome to the group! And don't worry about your age. My driver's license says I'm going to be 49 next month, but I decided a while ago that the best plan is to pick a year you like and stick to it. So I've been 32 while now. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I wanted to add my voice of encouragement for you. I think your goal is very reasonable, so you should be able reach it. There's so much good information and so many great people out here, you've got all sorts of good things in your favor. And I love that you want to have fun with it. Most folks take things so seriously, but I have to say along with the work this change in my eating has been a lot of fun. Why just last night I tried my hand at bean cakes . . . we laughed till we cried over that one! It was less than successful . . . .
Old 01-02-2007, 12:01 AM   #7  

Default Hey Happy Apple

Can I inquire as to what sort of "bean cakes" you tried? I have made bean brownies so many times I can do so without refrencing the recipe, LOVE LOVE LOVE them-well that got me to attempt something or other with peanut butter (my dads favorite cookie and at that time he was doing Atkins-ooh ick SO NOT healthy) and I was trying to tempt him over to the beach. well lets just say the peanut butter bars were ummm "not well recieved"
Cheers!
Wild Woman
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 286/145

Why sure I'll spill the beans. (wakka, wakka, wakka - some days I crack myself up.) I tried the pumpkin cake and a chocolate cake. The pumpkin one was edible, but didn't set up very well. I think I'd just as soon do the sugarless pumpkin pie filling trick. The other was a chocolate cake with coffee in it and to be honest, it's probably my own fault they didn't turn out because I decided to put SF hazelnut syrup instead of the coffee ( I didn't want to keep folks up all night.) Whatever I did, they weren't very good at all, but we all had a good laugh. Do you have a link to your brownie recipe? I'd be willing to give it another whirl.

The other recipe I'm really curious about are the no bake cookies. Aw man, I used to LOVE those things. Have you tried that one yet?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:55 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Magnolia/Barb. Don't worry about being "old" - at nearly 68, I have you all beat! You are wise to get a handle on your weight now as it sure gets harder as we get older.

I think the bean brownies are in the recipe section under Phase I Desserts.

It's nice to see Happy Apple and Wise Woman around too! Cute names!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #10  

Welcome to the Beach, Barbara! You might be able to do 50 pounds in a year or you may find that you hit plateaus and have to get past them. I'm short but I have dropped from a 20/22 to an 8/10.
Closed Thread