Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolia #44

Good morning ladies! I think #44 may be the last thread of the year and we will start over! Hope you all are having a nice day today. Jack turned on the light to find something at 3 AM and it woke me up and then I couldn't go back to sleep so I just came downstairs. Think I will go back up and snooze for a couple hours after he goes to work! That'll teach him...

Maggie: I am pulling for you that you have a loss today! We used to have canadian geese when we lived in Indiana. Our apartment faced a pond. The only thing is those birds make nasty messes like tar all over the place and we would have dozens of them sometimes. I like to see them, but never went outside, just looked at them from my patio or dining room. I sure do miss that apartment. It was 200 sq feet and all on one floor. It was so nice and spacious, but of course it came with a price. I imagine the rent is $1200 a month or more now. When we moved it was going up to right close to a $1000 a month I think.

Jean: Well, did you get the rain or the snow? I am totally acclimated to the warmer weather and freeze when it gets cold now. I am also a cheapskate and keep the furnace at around 66. I wear sweatshirts and sock in the house and at night we have that big ole electric blanket to keep us warm so we stay all snuggly. I wish we could get involved in a card club. I think we would enjoy it. Jack wants to teach me to play bridge, but too much memorization for me!

My younger sister, that lives in CA has a birthday in April so I have ordered this yarn and am going to knit her this sweater. I think it will look really cute and she is dark haired so I think the color will be good.

Short and sweet today, aren't you lucky...

Have a good day all you gals!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:18 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #2  

Good morning, Ladies. A bit chilly this morning - 34 degrees - had ice on the windshield. Sun is out and it should be a nice day.

It seems everyone is determined to drop some pounds in 2007 so let's get with it! I WILL lose 20 pounds, I WILL attend Curves a minimum of 3 times a week and walk 30 minutes on the days I don't (either outside or with my Walk Away the Pounds DVD). I WILL eat WW Core/South Beach foods. I WILL keep my food diary. I WILL drink at least 8 cups of water every day. When I eat out, I WILL ask for a box and pack up half the food before I start eating.

We have a psychiatrist who rents office space from my boss. She told me to drop the word "try" and put in the word "will." "Try" leaves too much room for failure. But "will" is decisive. Of course, when you put the "will" into it, you have to have a plan. Just to say "I'm going to lose weight" doesn't work as well as when you say "I'm going to do lose weight by doing ......"

I have also made my "PUT OFF EATING" jar. I wrote things to do instead of eating for reasons other than hunger. I wrote each one on a slip of paper and then when I want to eat because I'm bored or stressed, etc. I draw out a slip and do that instead. After 30 minutes, if I still feel I need to eat, I have a piece of fruit or some veggies. If I don't want fruit or veggies, I know I'm not hungry just "wanting."

I've come through the holidays okay but I ate too many carbs and don't feel as well as when I limit them to 3 or 4 servings a day. Bread was calling my name and I let it since "it's the holidays." It always makes me bloated and I really hate that feeling. Need to drink lots and lots of water. Back to Phase 1 of SB on Monday for a week.

See you next year!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I'm trying to sort through some of the paper/receipt piles to pitch or save whichever the case may be. I belong to a survey company and they want me to track 3 months of credit card bills, use of my debit card, how many checks I write, etc. The first month being December of all months. I've written a couple of thank you notes, finished two loads of laundry, and ironed some shirts for Bob. My next project is to resew a couple of buttons on his sport coat; he keeps hanging it back in the closet and I keep forgetting.

Maggie -- The geese get mean and chase people as they try to walk on the bike/walking path along the lake. They also make the sidewalk their latrine and that makes for slippery walking. People are encouraged to not feed the ducks nor the geese so that they will continue their journey south. The ducks seem to hang around and eat whatever drops out of bird feeders. Some of them get pretty tame. Good luck at WW weigh in!

"Gma" -- We aren't getting any weather yet. The sun was out earlier but it has disappeared. I love the new yarn color and I'm sure your sister will enjoy the sweater.

Susan -- I like the 'will' vs. 'try' idea. That does make a lot of sense! We are invited out for pizza tonight. It is a place in Sioux City that we have never been to so I am hoping for a salad bar. I know I've eaten way too much junk/sweet stuff over the past few days and I can tell just by the way I feel. The jar full of alternatives to eating sounds like a good idea too! I have lots of things that I could be doing instead of eating that's for sure!

We plan to take Zowie's table and chairs to her this afternoon. That's one more thing I can cross off my list.

I am off to wipe up the kitchen floor . . . have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Arrow Do but no Try said Yoda

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

YIPEKIO I did show a loss of 1.2 which is great! I checked my average loss since I have been back to WW on the 5th of Oct and it has been a pound a week.That "will" and not "try" has been an old Behavior Mod theme I used in my work. Weight Watchers has been using it and there it is in their new Magazine. And SUSAN bless her heart, has reminded us of that important mantra. Yeppers let us do and not just try. Uh-Oh Ragg Mopp is in the process of taking the neighbor's little dogs sweater off of him. Yep he got it off . . Will went out to pick it up and put it on the back of the car. That little dog doesn't have as much hair as Ragg Mopp does and probably needs that sweater.

JEAN You got it! Those geese are messy things. Have you ever seen a field of them lift off? That is a sight to behold ~ they lift off in a huge wave. That sounds like a fun survey program you are involved in and it will help keep your paperwork organized.

FAYE I do believe that sweater will look good on your sis. Did you get back to sleep? I'm telling you it is rough to wake up early and not be able to get some more zzzzz's in.

SUSAN Looks like you have your plan and will work it. You go girl!

I am sipping a nice hot cup of coffee just thinking of what I am going to cook for dinner . . . I don't have a clue right now.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-28-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:07 AM   #5  

A very early good morning to you! I get to say that because I have been to bed already and am up again. Every few months I have female issues still and this morning I have some cramping so just took some Advil and waiting for it to work. I will be glad when it is all done forever. It is almost worst than monthly stuff because I never know when it is going to happen. Luckily, it isn't bad or anything, just annoying.

Susan: I am determined to get ahold of myself this year. I know I can do this and do it well. I guess I am not a whiner about it and don't have issues about my size and such and so when I commit to it, I don't really get discouraged. I just allowed myself the excuse after Jack's surgery to let go for awhile and that is what I did.

Maggie: Good for you! It's great when you make progress of any kind, especially if you feel your effort isn't 100%. Sounds like Ragg Mopp is a character. I don't know what possessed them, but my son and dil got another puppy so they now have 2 dogs and 2 cats. I think my dil is nuts to try and train a puppy being pregnant, trying to work and having Jay gone so much, but she wanted another one so Jay bought her a little boxer puppy. I worry about her because Jay is leaving for Switzerland in a couple weeks for some sales thing. His company is actually based in Chicago but he does a lot of his work from home as his territory is in Indiana.

Jean: Hope Zowie got her table and chairs safe and sound. I should be getting the stuff for my sister some time next week as well as yarn and stuff for a sweater for my dd to replace the shrug. Well, she still has the shrug, but it is too big on her. If I ever get it back, I am just going to rip it out and use the yarn to make myself a summer sweater maybe or something else.

I have been fooling around with pattern knitting and am finally going to get going on the yellow baby blanket I have started for my grandbaby to be. I did several different decorative patterns, but I think I am going to use their heart pattern because it will fit in with a baby blanket. I am still not good enough to do much lacy type knitting, obviously because my two attempts failed miserably so we will go with this for now. I just have to remember that I can do what I can do and to work on harder stuff when I am not rushed to get gifts done, etc. Practice makes perfect, I guess!

Well, it is back to bed for me. I sat here and paid a couple bills online including our health insurance. Have to have that, though I am sincerely hoping we don't have to USE it as much as we did this last year!

Have a wonderful morning everyone. Back to bed for me!

Faye
Old 12-29-2006, 03:13 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is a foggy, dreary, gloomy, misty day in my corner of the world. I am NOT complaining because at least we don't have to shovel it! We didn't get home until after 10 last night and I had such a headache that I went straight to bed. We ended up going out for pizza with some friends: two sets of grandparents, one couple hoping for a grandchild, three young married couples, one young couple, one single young guy, and seven children from age 5 down to 6 months. We managed to get the arty: room so had a lively time trying to visit above the little ones. I made an errand and grocery run this morning to avoid all the crazies who come out on a Friday afternoon. I should be cleaning, but this is more fun!

Maggie -- Congrats on the loss! That is a great way to end the old year and begin the new!

"Gma" -- I thought maybe Zowie wouldn't pay any attention to her table and chairs but she marched right over, pulled out a chair, and climbed on. Her look was like "I'm ready -- where's the food?" She spent most of last evening "bringing up the rear," but only a few steps behind the older kids. She is a tough little gal thanks to her brother! I hope you got some more sleep last night. Enjoy your knitting today!

I need to clear off the kitchen counters . . . again and do some ironing. I'll be glad when the leftovers are gone and there are no extra containers to work around! Enjoy your day and . . . . . . .

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #7  
Thin Within

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright sunshiney day here. I bought the new group of point books from WW and they came in a funky plastic type cary case ~ not like the last ones. Anyway Will is making me a nice leather carry case. I also got the new kitchen weigh thingie that you can enter the food and it tells you the points. Like you put a pear on it, type the name in and it tells you the exact points for that particular piece of fruit. I like it a lot and know I will be using it more than I did my old one. I also got one of the new little hand held points finders. The size of a compact. Not a bunch of bells and whistles on it so it is just a points finder and calculator. Anyway I got my tools and have my new books spiral bound now so I am ready to hit the new year with a plan. Gotta tell you something cute that happened after WW yesterday. When we were all dismissed I was gathering up my stuff and talking to some ladies ~ one of the gals that had left came back in and said, "Maggie, there is a foxie blond in a pink sweater taking to your main squeeze." I said, "OH, it is probably just someone we know that saw our car in the parking lot." Anyway when I sauntered out~ there she was! One of the gals that works at WW at the counter and is my special friend. She wasn't working last week or this week and had stopped by to see me! I told her what the lady said and she got a kick out of it. Her husband is a lawyer in the same building that WW meets and she had been down to see him and hung around talking to Will and Ragg Mopp waiting till I came out. Life is good.

We went out to eat last evening and I'm tellin you they gave me enough for 4 people. I ordered beef tips on fetticune noodles and the bowl was huge. Then they brought me another large bowl of veggies. Needless to say I brought home enough to eat today and give Ragg Mopp a good treat.

FAYE I am sorry that shrug didn't fit. It is good though that you can take it apart and make something else out of it. Have you made plans yet of what you are going to creat for next year? I am thinking of making some little boxes for folks. I gave away some lit houses this year. I need to get busy making something anyway. I have a pattern for some neat twirley things . . . Will has orders for half sized saddles to fill. Some folks love those things as decorations. One lady wants a parade saddle. That means lots of silver on it. He once made one full sized that had so much silver that I pittied the poor horse. It also had a red seat. Quite the show piece. But that is what the buyer wanted. His wife got it made for him for a present then divorced him. Go figure.

It is no longer morning and I have been doddeling. Time to see about some lunch. Well I won't be doing lunch just yet for the gal that Will counsels just drove up. He will talk with her as he is making my carry thingie. But that doesn't mean that I can't have something . . .

Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #8  

Good Evening ladies! I may not have time to get in here to post in the morning as tomorrow is the dreaded commissary day and I want to get out there and get done before the idiots that are shopping for new year's eve descend on the place. I cleaned out my pantry and fridge of allllll bad stuff and my list only has good stuff on it... so I will be ready food wise. I left Jack his one small bag of chips, but anything left after New Year's day and out it goes. He has promised me workouts 4 days a week and I am holding him to at least 2 to start out, Sat and Sunday. As for me, I plan on starting completely over with 2 walks a day again, morning and early evening. I will also do a couple days with weights and do treadmill when I don't want to get dressed and go out or it is cold or something. Besides my long time cds, Jack bought some Napster cards and recorded me some Johnny Rivers, Neil Sedaka, Ricky Nelson, Gary Puckett and several others. So I am ready to go with music too!

Maggie: You ask me about coming projects, well you ask so here goes. I already showed you the sweater and yarn for my sister's sweater. I am using the same pattern and making myself one out of the yarn below (the purple and teal) I am making this sweater with this yarn (the gold.brown) to replace the shrug for my dd and closer to Christmas I will decide which one and again make T a sweater, just not three this year! He wore his Beatle sweater on Wed all day, but it is too short for his long torso so we decided to have her remove the buttons and patch and buy him a blue Jean jacket and put them on it. He wore the brown sweater all day on Tuesday and loved it and Kelly says he looks really good in it. I am also working on a blanket for the baby and will have to post the patterns pics later as I am at my 5 attachment limit tonight. I still want to make another red hat for my luncheons and I want to get it going and done next week as my luncheon is the 13th. Oh and I am also going to make this sleeveless shell with this yarn and either make a jacket or shrug to go over it or buy one for the shows, dinner and club stuff when we are on vacation. So there you have the knitting projects for this year. Hopefully, I can get them all accomplished. I am having fun with the purple handbag I made. The straps are stretchy and so I can wear it mailbag style over my chest when I am shopping! I really love it. Can't wait to make another felt bag. I didn't know WW had cool weigh scales like that. That is awesome. Better keep a reign on that handsome husband of yours or someone is going to run off with him and ragg mopp!!! If he is anything like Jack, he is totally clueless when a woman truly pays attention in that way. Jack draws the young ones, which I think is hilarious!

Please keep prayers for my nephew who is again involved in drugs/prescription type but getting them illegally. He was arrested this summer and kept out of prison by the skin of his teeth and he is back at it. If he gets caught this time he will go to prison. He is a professional man, not a kid and he is throwing his life away. He lives in FL, where the drug laws are very very strict. His parents are not being helpful in this as they are putting their heads in the sand somewhat and not making him take responsibility for his actions. Just keep them in your prayers! Thanks.

Jean: I can just see Zowie, like those kids in the Annie movie pounding on the table with their fists and their utensils in their hands wanting food! She was probably thinking, "Ok man, I sat down at the table so where's the grub???" She sounds like a real cutey pie.

We are taking T next Saturday to the Chucksters. We have owed him a trip since his last report card so they finally have found time to let him go. We go at around 9, can you say "UGH, pizza for breakfast?" Thank goodness I dispise their nasty pizza and can get a salad if we are still there at lunch even though their stupid cheesy salad is more than the national debt. Maybe I will just buy a drink and sneak in some peeled and bagged fruit or something. My handbag is big enough to hold a whole meal!

Well, I need to go upstairs and put clothes away. Jack is always such a doll and carried the basket up and puts everything away except my clothes.

Everyone have a good even and a great day tomorrow!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is foggy and raining hard in my neighborhood! I wonder where the sun is hiding? I'm so glad I don't live in Denver after watching their weather on TV this morning. Some of their streets haven't been plowed since the first snow and now there is more. My goal today is to finish checking through and pitching a pile of old papersreceipts I've saved, sort through the junk drawer, and putting the extra Christmas stuff away.

Maggie -- You are determined to move down the road to a thinner you! I haven't been to WW for awhile so haven't seen all of the new stuff. I just bought a new points book this fall. That seems to be my standard mo -- always a step behind. Cute story about your WW friend and Will.

"Gma" -- WOW! You definitely have your knitting projects lined up! Thanks for sharing the pictures! I had to stop and think what Chucksters would be. Beth doesn't like their pizza either -- we offered to take them one time thinking the grandkids would get a kick out of it.

Bob is running errands this morning and should be home for lunch soon. I think this will be the last of the leftovers! I bought a roast for tomorrow.

I'm off to put in another load of clothes and fold a load of towels. Have a great day . . . the choice is yours!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Arrow

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It is a tad on the chilly side ~ but this is winter after all. It really wasn't as cold last night as it was the previous night for there was no frost on the grass this morning.

I have spend most of my day getting my notebook all squared away for the upcomng year. I keep a lot of my "helps" in that book and my graphs and stuff I use to track my weight loss journey. Works for me to keep my FOCUS which easily can slip away.

FAYE Thanks for the answer and the pictures. Sounds like you have plans that are do able and fun for the coming year. Hun, your nephew is in for a fall unless he gets a grip and gets some counseling which he should do NOW before they do nab him and haul him in. Unfortunately folks in his shoes have to hit bottom before they can come back up. It is too bad his parents don't take an active interest in him. It's rough, he needs some "tough love".

JEAN The sun hides out here in California. When it rains the sun shines. They call it liquid sunshine. Today I got my stuff together for my journey down the road to thin. It is a long road but I am in for the journey. After all, no one has volunteered to do this for me.

Gals, be safe and have a nice New Year's evening tomorrow.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:16 AM   #11  

Short peek in good morning and then out gals. I contracted pink eye from my little guy I guess, because he had it last week and I got up this morning and I have a total pig face. I don't know why, but I am red and swollen from my forehead to under my lips. I am going to get in the recliner with a cold pack and if by mid day I am not better it is off to the emergency room for me. This is really weird!

You gals have a nice New Year's Eve. We are staying put today and tonight.

Faye
Old 12-31-2006, 04:11 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is blowing and snowing in my corner of the world . . . it was raining when I got up this morning. I'm sure we would have been sent home from school early . . . darn, it could have waited until next Thursday to do this! We didn't go to church because it was freezing rain at the time. Once we get to the highway it is fine, but getting there is a challenge. The plows and sanders won't venture out until the snow stops -- emergency routes only and that doesn't include us. We took the tree down this morning, I vacuumed and Bob mopped the floor for me, and now I need to put a cupboard back together. I'm trying to get things that go together in the same place instead on different levels of the house. Someday I will be organized . . . I will, I will, I will!

Maggie -- Do you get rainbows when it rains and the sun shines? That is my favorite thing to watch for here and it doesn't happen very often. We are staying home tonight and I will have either had a catnap and can welcome in the new year or else will be in bed fast asleep when it arrives.

"Gma" -- I feel for you! I had pink eye last year and was miserable for a couple days. It was my own fault because I left my contacts in after I started the eye drops and I should have taken them out. I called my eye doctor to get the drops; the school nurse told me to do that because I could get them quicker than waiting to see my family doctor. I hope you are feeling lots better by now. What a way to start the new year.

I'm off to work on my cupboard. Have a nice 'rest of the day' and a Happy New Year! Here is a toast to better health, wealth, and happiness for all of us!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:37 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Arrow

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright day in the 50's here this day. We went out to at Applebees after church this day and I had the WW entree of beef and shrimp skewers and a bowl of that delicious onion soup. I am so glad they have WW things on their menu. I eyeballed that Holiday Fare and drooled over the rib eye steak and shrimp but told myself that the WW entree would be enough and it truly was. We are going back to town to do some shopping this evening after services when it won't be so crowded.

FAYEdo get to the doctor. What you have needs to be looked at soon and treatment started it sounds like. I hope what ever it is goes away quickly and you are back to exact soon. Not a fun way to welcome in the new year is it.

JEAN OH ~ we see a lot of rainbows. I love rainbows. Once even the rainbow ended in the pavement right by my car door. That was a sight to behold and I got to step out into it. We get the huge double ones sometimes and they are so so very nice to see. Sounds like you and your hubby got your house all de Christmased this day. I have yet to put up my little village. I love the lights and will be sad to box it all up again. This gif is for you Jean.
I would come play in the snow with you if I lived closer.

Everyone have a lovely eve and a great New Year.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #14  

Good morning ladies! Well the swelling is going down. We thought I had pinkeye, but it now looks like I might have gotten bitten by a spider or something, because I have a bite on my face. We have those darn brown recluse here and they are teeny tiny things with a powerful punch so it might have been one of them or another kind for all we know. I am not having problems breathing or swallowing so for today we are just keeping an eye out to see if it gets worse or the swelling continues to go down.

Last night was uneventful for us. Jack has a bad sore throat again and me with the puffy face so we definitely just stayed in. There were loud fireworks for about 10 minutes around midnight, which causes Fortune to bark, but then everything quieted down quickly here.

Jack took some medicine, drank a cup of my secret brew and is back up in bed. I am going to fix me some packaged hot chocolate and sit and knit. I have the first 12 rows of my heart pattern done on the baby blanket and it looks so cute. This is something I can't sit and do for hours because the pattern is complicated and my mind tends to wander when I knit. I usually do several rows, then quite then go back to it later, etc. It is one of those patterns where I can't be disturbed or I mess up! I also have another red hat going and want to get it finished and felted before the luncheon the 13th. I am expecting the sweater yarn for both sweaters in probably on Wed then I can start on those too. I enjoy switching stuff because I get bored with one thing.

Maggie: Thanks for your good thoughts. Believe me, I know not to let this go if it gets worse, but it is getting better. Sounds like you had a nice lunch at Applebees. I love their chinese chicken salad there, but I know they have a good selection of WW stuff too, which is really nice.

Jean: Hope you aren't too buried in snow this morning. We got horrible rain on Saturday and of course it didn't start until I got in the car and went to the commissary. I came out and it was pouring so of course I got soaked going to get the car and pull it under the portico so they could load my groceries. People here think that rain means drive faster. It was raining so hard on my way home that you could hardly see the person in front of you and people are driving 70 and 80 on the interstate! I got into the right hand land and stayed at 50 and kept back from everyone so I wouldn't have an accident.

Here's to the coming new year ! May we all have good health, lbs down and success in our endeavors!

Faye
Old 01-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #15  

Happy New Year, Flowers! The sun is out and it's a beautiful day in my corner of the world. The snow sparkles where there are no tracks and I must admit it seems more like Christmas than last week. I woke up earlier than I thought since I was up to welcome the new year in. I've read the morning paper, had my coffee, started a roast cooking, and watched the neighbor kid/man (22-23 yrs. old and old enough to know better!) pee in the back yard. I've got a load of laundry going and another cupboard torn apart. My goal is to finish the cupboard today and iron, iron, iron while Bob watches another day of football. Last night he said these long weekends of just sitting are hard on him. He will get up and help me do whatever if I ask so I can't complain. He's outside blowing snow right now.

Maggie -- I love going to Applebee's and usually try to eat there when we are in Sioux City if the timing is right. There is also a new Olive Garden in SC and I love that place too. I usually only get to eat there once a year when we are in MN fishing. I just loovvveeee to eat out! I would like to invest in a tiny tree with white lights that I could leave up all year. One of the teachers decorates her little tree for whatever the holiday might be. She has children still at home so I'm sure they would be the incentive to do that. The Christmas lights are my favorite part of the holiday and it seems like more and more people are decorating outside. We notice a lot of the country homes are brightly lit when we travel back and forth to the kids.

"Gma" -- I think a spider bite would be even scarier than pink eye! I hope you are feeling much better as the day goes on and that Jack is on the mend too. Tell me again what your magic recipe is . . . I gave it to Beth for Will to try and he accused me of trying to poison him! She thought I had too much vinegar; I thought it was equal parts of vinegar and water. Bob guessed we got 4-5 inches of snow. It's supposed to be in the 40s again tomorrow through the end of the week, so it won't last long except on the north side of buildings where the sun doesn't shine on it. I am so excited that the sun is setting a minute later these days! I'm ready for spring, can you tell?

Have a nice day and enjoy whatever it is you are doing. If you are walking and talking under your own power that is two things to be thankful for! What is the saying . . . . "smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you are unhappy alone." . . . . or something like that!

Jean -- in Iowa!