YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 12-29-2006, 11:09 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default YOU on a Diet - Support Thread #3

If you are following YOU On a Diet, please post here.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #2  

Default you on a diet help

I just read the book last night and need to get going on this. I need help! Want to join this help group. Am already confused about sugar- can I have some on my oatmeal or not? Am I supposed to throw out my Splenda? And can I have raisins on my oatmeal? Any help would be apprecaited- if I don't have support, I know I will fail like all the other million times........
cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:40 PM   #3  

Default Starting again

Hi there;

I am just starting to read the book, and program looks do able. I have been trying to get into the site but no luck, not sure what is up with that.

I agree with Cassy that support is a biggie, and it is one area that I have lacked everytime I have tried to lose the excess weight and change the lifestyle.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!!

SusanR
Sugar_Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #4  
Zen master

S/C/G: 283/265/210

Height: 6'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy View Post
I just read the book last night and need to get going on this. I need help! Want to join this help group. Am already confused about sugar- can I have some on my oatmeal or not? Am I supposed to throw out my Splenda? And can I have raisins on my oatmeal? Any help would be apprecaited- if I don't have support, I know I will fail like all the other million times........

From what I gather from the book, this site and another I am a member of:

Sugar is basically a no-no. As is anything that ends with -ose. There is a healthy debate on Splenda, depending on where you see yourself. Dr. Oz recommends Agave nectar, but states that Splenda is basically the lesser of all the sweetener/sugar evils. Quite frankly, I don't see Agave as a good alternative when you are baking and cooking, but I don't have any experience with it, so I'm just talking out of my butt.

Since Splenda is basically so new, there hasn't been a ton of studies on it to see if there are any long-term effects from using it.

So, if you want to be extremely strict... get rid of the sugar and the Splenda. However, if you must have something on your oatmeal and Agave is out of the question (I refuse to pay that much money for something I may not like... if only they has a small bottle), then Splenda is fine.

As far as raisins go... if they are just dried grapes with no added sugar, you'll be fine. Naturally occuring Fructose (as in vegetables and fruits) is fine.

Just my 2 cents
jourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:31 PM   #5  

I totally agree that we need a group for You on a diet folks. I am currently re-reading it. There is a short list on another site: Realage.com I think it is the official site for You on a diet. It has forums and other tools. As far as I can find there is no Official List for the foods because (i guess) there are so many. Just follow the guidelines and you should be fine. I will be happy to help you any way I can. I am not an expert (far from it) but we can learn together. It would be great to create a list of foods. Whenever you find something that works with the diet post it on the list. We had potato salad tonight and I so wanted the kind with all the mayo in it but I was able to make some for myself with just a little mustard, onion, green pepper, and jalapeno pepper. It was ok but I guess you make the sacrifice for good health. Oh yeah all the Kashi Products are ok. Ill see if I can find the list on the other site and post it here. Kim
kimpo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #6  

http://www.realage.com/doctorcenter/...6VcnqtUQ=lk9OD

Hey here is the link...I dont know if you have one of these stores near you. If not you can get an idea of what kind of foods you can have. Also things you are going to eat on a regular basis you can order on line from Amazon.com. You have to order in bulk thats why I say things you will eat on a regular basis. Other things check your local healthfood stores or other online stores. Hope this helps. kim
Old 12-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/1198/130

Height: 5.9"

Default Excited to be here

After seeing Dr. Oz on Oprah, I decided to try it out. So I ordered the You On A Diet book from Amazon. It should arrive next week. I checked out the RealAge website already and was shocked to see that my real age is 6.5 years older than I am. Which can easily be changed by diet and exercise. Both me and my hubby need to lose weight. He loses alot easier than me though so I need a plan. I cannot wait to get the book!
Oh, my name is Heather. I am married with 4 kids, ages 11, 9, 7, and 6. I am still carrying the 65lbs I gained with the second kid. UGH!! This is the year I will do it!!!!!!
shutterbugmom27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

Thanks for starting a new thread, Jennifer!

Jourdain - I agree about the sugar info you gave. I don't have access to Agave where I live, and am making do with Splenda.

H 179 - hope you got my message about potatoes on the last thread.

Welcome to the newbies. I don't post here often, but I am basically following this plan, and counting calories.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #9  

Default Newbie, again!

I would love to join you folks. I have the book which I've read/skimmed. Need to read again. Love the idea of automating my eating. Cheerios with banana for breakfast and turkey sandwich for lunch. Dinner is whatever. I'm trying to get in touch with eating to be "satisfied" and not "full".

I am soooo tired of planning and worrying about what I'm eating. I'm also on a calorie counting program and am trying to keep my day to 1500. At 5', that seems about right to loose 1 lb or so a week. 5lbs per month is my goal.

I have been walking for 30 minutes each day-- NO EXCUSES and it really helps with pent up stress.
beachlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:26 AM   #10  
Setting the example

S/C/G: 179/160/132

Height: 5'4"

Jane- I did see the potato post, thanks. I love potatoes of all types and was a bit confused when I saw a white potato in one of the recipes. I too would be hesitant to mix it with a tortilla. I will probably stick with sweet potatoes just to be safe though. I will however miss the brown sugar and butter slathered all over it...*grin*

I didn't throw out my splenda as it was a life saver while on SBD for me. I go lightly on its use but still feel the need for sweetness every now and then.

shutterbugmom27 - Welcome to the thread! My name is also Heather and I too have 4 children 9 (10 in Jan), 8, 5, and 16 months. I lost all my weight 7 years after having my 1st one (that is a reasonable amount of time isn't it LOL) then I became preggo with #4. UUUGGGHHHH preggo in Germany surrounded by the best bakeries in the world. Needless to say I gained it all back and then some. So here I sit back at square one trying to lose the weight.....again

Hope YOU all have a great day!

H
H 179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:48 AM   #11  
Ria

S/C/G: 220

Height: 5'5

I also would love to join this group and agree we need a forum .. This program looks duable, please let me know when a group is formed. Can't wait, have 50 to loose, maybe a little more , have my walking tape and book !!! ready to go........
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #12  
If its to be its up to me

S/C/G: 225/184/155

Height: 5'5"

Default New here and I love DR OZ

Hi Everyone ...

I would love to be in a new YOU on a diet group ... I love Dr OZ and have read both his books and seen him on Discovery health ... I even purchased the pedometer he uses... sadly, I used it for 3 days and now it has been collecting dust for the last 3 weeks.

I'm new to 3 chicks and I am posting here as well as couple of other forums for support.

Here's a little about me: I'm older than I like to admit and I have two little boys ages 6 and 2. I was a very successful career woman until I got married and children children in my mid thirties and that changed my life ... for the better (because I love my boys) for the worst because my life changed so drastically.

I went from traveling all over North America being independant, selfish and skinny - to being skinny to being a stay-at home mom, putting everyone else before me and gaining 70 pounds which I haven't taken off.

Needless, to say I am depressed about it and in a continual downhill spiral.
I don't exercise anymore, I eat late at night, I eat WAY too much food that is bad for me and I find myself stuck in a rut.

Soooooo, I am hoping and praying that finding support among all of you wonderful ladies and gentlemen will motivate me to change my unhealthy ways.
AlleyTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:51 PM   #13  
Ria

S/C/G: 220

Height: 5'5

Kimpo101 , thank you so much for that website it has everything you need.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:10 PM   #14  
Zen master

S/C/G: 283/265/210

Height: 6'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpo101 View Post
http://www.realage.com/doctorcenter/...6VcnqtUQ=lk9OD

Hey here is the link...I dont know if you have one of these stores near you. If not you can get an idea of what kind of foods you can have. Also things you are going to eat on a regular basis you can order on line from Amazon.com. You have to order in bulk thats why I say things you will eat on a regular basis. Other things check your local healthfood stores or other online stores. Hope this helps. kim
Hey that's MY post Gee.. does this mean I'm famous?
jourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:41 PM   #15  

Default Yep your famous

Jourdain---yep that was your list I was just passing along all the great info- I wish we could find a list for a more "famous" (wally world) store. Guess i'm gonna have to bite the bullet and spend several hours in wally world. I think that is the place I hate to go more than any other place in the world. If I didn't say so on the other site thanks for the post. I wasn't intentionally trying to take credit for your post . Happy New Year!!
Kim